Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No one ever seems to mention them. If you look a their site they seem to be solid and light weight.

http://www.bontrager.com/Mountain/Wheelworks/Wheels/5765.php

Race X Lite TLR Disc
242293 26 Pair Tubeless/Clincher Black Anodized 9 28 / 28 14/16G Presta 1540g 799.99

Anyone know real world prices, or do they go for MSRP only?

Attachments

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
I have the ~$500 Race Lite TR disc wheels and love them... I only wish I had paid the extra dough for the Race X Lites though. I use these wheels with the tubeless rimstrips provided by Bontrager, currently with non-UST Mythos and they work great. I will likely get the Bontrager Jones XR TR tires next though so I have complete confidence in the rim/tire interface. Anywho, they are good wheels, just sort of expensive I guess. In case you're wondering, the hubs on the Race Lites are basically the DT Swiss Onyx and the hubs on the Race X Lites are the DT Swiss 240s.... very similar wheels to the DT Swiss 1540's.... hmmmm, maybe some private labeling going on here... not sure. you'd have to inspect the rims to see if they're the same.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Are you sure about the hubs for Bontrager? I don't know, just asking. Is it just your thought, or did you get that info from a rather credible source? That sounds like a nice wheelset.

Anyone know the weight of the Bontrager rims? What's the weight on their wheelstrip to do a tubeless conversino? I'm currently running Sun DS1-XC rims (claimed to be 400g never verified) with Stan's rim strip (don't know weight). I know I have weight that I need to account for with the rim tape also, but don't know that either. Is it worth the switch?

·
heckler
166 Posts
my race lite tubeless ready wheelset is great, taken a beating and still runs fine

richA is correct about the hubs being DT Swiss badged up as bonty

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
I opened up my Race Lite rear hub the other day and the freewheel pawls indicate to me that it is an Onyx hub... I had previously thought it was the 340.

I can not personally say what the Race X Lite hubs are, but the shop where I bought my wheels told me they are the 240's and at 1540g per wheelset it is probably true.

A friend of mine tacoed a Race Lite front wheel and we weighed EVERYTHING...
Race Lite rim = 426g
tubeless rimstrip = 52g
28 spokes = 171g
alloy nips = 9g
front hub = 192g (matches DT Swiss Onyx claimed weight)

The Race X Lites use completely different components, but here's how I think they do it by using 240 hubs...

FRONT (g) REAR (g)
HUB 155 275
RIM 405 405 actual
rimstrips 0 actual
28 SPOKES 140 140 actual
28 NIPS 9 9 actual
Valve Stems 0
709 829 1538

note that the claimed wheel weights are without rimstrips or valve stems... so add about 120g to 1540g to get a realistic weight for tubeless use.

How are the DS1-XC's working out with Stan's?? I have a set of DS2-XC's and am thinking about trying it. What kind of tires are you using?

EDIT: my DS2-XC rim weighs 436g without any rimstrips or tape at all... just weighed it for you.

The Brontrager rimstrip has worked flawlessly for me and the hubs are really nice, so if you have had any issues with tubeless use or your hubs, maybe it would be worth it for you to upgrade... that's a tough call.

·
Registered
627 Posts
So far, flawless. I'm using Bonty TR tires (XR in the front, and I believe the revolt super in the rear). Both are super light and aired up easily. I'm using the stans regular strips, using their thin spoke tape only. Not using any cloth tape. First time, I mounted the front tire, w/o sealant to see how it worked, and held air all night. I even took it for a ride. Never burped at 28 psi w/ 155 lbs on it. I added stans juice for protection. Back went smoothly too. Only issue is the tight bead, but I like it since it makes me feel confident it won't burp and roll off. Just try to pre stretch the bead a bit before and you'll be fine. Good since last fall. I've added additional juice once.

Actually, I had an issue with a defective front tire. I went riding on the road with the girlfriend, and aired up the tires to 40 psi. After 5 minutes, I heard hissing. I checked the tire and saw a side wall bulge. Stans wouldn't seal so had to walk a few blocks home. Took off tire, and it looked like someone took a utility knife and sliced the inside of the casing. Don't know how it happened, but can't get a replacement. I've called it bad luck and too high pressure. I won't air it past 35 in the future, and will keep riding the same tire combo.

·
Registered
212 Posts
High Quality

I been running these rims for a couple of years of hard riding and have been very happy with them. Not only have I never had to true them but they have shown almost no sign of brake pad wear on the rim surface. They are lighter than my XM 819s. The hubs are still smooth.

Using almost any UST tire works. Bontrager Tubeless Ready tires also work well of course. Those are a tight fit but if you use the right technique for installing and removing, it's not problem. The rim strip on these rims makes some UST tires a tight fit but that's fine by me.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I was fortunate enough to win these on Ebay last night for $201.

http://www.totalfitnessfl.com/flex/...Item%26item%3D270007435541%26category%3D58089

If you scan down through the pics you can see the Dt/Swiss on the hubs and the weight for F&R without skewers. Pretty decent weight, although maybe not as light as the RaceXLites. I had this same set up on a Palomino I recently sold, and they are a nice strong yet light wheelset, especially if you can get them for $200!! My new set will go on an Adept I am building-up, which should be a bit lighter and more agile for XC than the Pal.

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
Yes, good solid wheels

N10S said:
I was fortunate enough to win these on Ebay last night for $201.

http://www.totalfitnessfl.com/flex/...Item%26item%3D270007435541%26category%3D58089

If you scan down through the pics you can see the Dt/Swiss on the hubs and the weight for F&R without skewers. Pretty decent weight, although maybe not as light as the RaceXLites. I had this same set up on a Palomino I recently sold, and they are a nice strong yet light wheelset, especially if you can get them for $200!! My new set will go on an Adept I am building-up, which should be a bit lighter and more agile for XC than the Pal.
$200 is great. That's what I have too, except I paid almost $500 for them new last year... oh well. The 1920g weight is about exactly what mine weigh and that's with the 52g rimstrip in each wheel. If you're using tubes take those strips out (sort of hard to do carefully) and replace them with a light rim tape... that is, if you're counting those golden grams. If you replace the rims, spokes, and hubs they'll be as light as the Race X Lites! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the rim strips! My last bike had the Revolt super X "tubeless ready" set-up with sealant. I think I will go tubeless again, but had heard that Bontragers full tubeless Revolt Super X might be a better choice. Need to do a bit more analysis before dropping the cash I guess. I did get really lucky on the wheelset at that price. Usually I lose the bid or overpay!! Overall the quality of rim matched to the DT hubs, and the light weight makes the wheelset a nice option.

Jeff :)

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
Tubeless ready tires are a great concept

N10S said:
Thanks for the tip on the rim strips! My last bike had the Revolt super X "tubeless ready" set-up with sealant. I think I will go tubeless again, but had heard that Bontragers full tubeless Revolt Super X might be a better choice. Need to do a bit more analysis before dropping the cash I guess. I did get really lucky on the wheelset at that price. Usually I lose the bid or overpay!! Overall the quality of rim matched to the DT hubs, and the light weight makes the wheelset a nice option.

I'm also planning to try the Jones XR TR or ACX TR tires... get the perceived security of a true UST tire bead but without the heavy casing... just use a sealant as you probably would anyway. Of course, regarding the 52g rimstrip, leave it in for tubeless use, but you know that... I'm just saying it to make sure there's no confusion about it... you can never assume that people know stuff on chat boards.

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
Wish I could locate KB's rants that used to be on his site. Corporate ownership changes the 'net, but I'm sure KB is the same.

I still own a set of wheels that Santa Cruz supplied on their bike builds in the early days. Radial laced FRONT, 3x Drive Side / Radial REAR. Weinmann rims, White Industries FRONT, XT REAR. Virtually bombproof considering the amount of abuse from my sketchy random style of cycling back then. Wheels are still solid after moderate truing.

KB pioneered a zillion things for the cycling industry, including the lightweight wheelset revolution that Mavic capitalized upon. True.

I would do all the research necessary to be certain that you're buying the best of what is labeled Bontrager. And then, BUY IT!!

~ Rex

·
Registered
272 Posts
N10S said:
My last bike had the Revolt super X "tubeless ready" set-up with sealant. I think I will go tubeless again, but had heard that Bontragers full tubeless Revolt Super X might be a better choice.
I've run both the tubeless and tubeless ready versions of the Revolts. Obviously the tubeless versions are heavier, but they do have a thicker sidewall, and thus, deflect a little less than the TR version. But you can't beat the TR version for weight. really nice. Oh and don't use Bonty's super juice - it doesn't seal punctures. I use Stan's with great results.

GL,
-don

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Race X LItes

I've been running them this season, and they are flawless. They have endured some pretty aggressive pounding and are still perfect. I think they are a better product than my Xmax and are less maintenance with the 240 hubs. I paid $700.
I have had no problem getting any standard or UST tire to mount up with Stans on them either.

·
Weiner Dog Connoiseur
1,013 Posts
I own five Bontrager wheelsets...two Mavericks came stock on my '98 Klein Pulse Comp and my '05 Trek Fuel 70. I've bought used an '01 Super Stock wheelset for the Pulse Comp (and my mongrel singlespeed), an '05? Race Disc set for the Trek Fuel and an '05 Camino set as an extra spare set. They're all good, solid wheels. The '98 Mavericks have definitely proven they can take a pounding as they are still good wheels after nearly eight years of service (although they have been relegated to slick tire duty for the last year or so). The Super Stock and Race Discs are both really nice with great hubs.

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
My brother rode a Bontrager Mustang wheelset (laced to LX hubs) for 3 seasons on his hardtail it was a mid priced XC Non Disc wheelset and it was super solid never gave him any troubles. He got rid of them due to a new bike and he blew a tire about 300 fr from the bottom of a mountain and walked down without lifting the front wheel letting sections of the bare rim grind/roll around the very abrasive rocks/dirt ruining the tops of the sidewalls :madman:

·
1pt21Gigawatts
103 Posts
so are the RaceLights at around 1800 grams a good buy?? They seem to be on the heavy side of disk wheels, but i guess thats the difference in weight & cost when compared to CrossMax or the Race XLites

I too have not heard much about them until recently....
how would one compare these to an FSA XC-300 type wheelset?

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Yup

I think the Bonty wheels are a good buy. If you are going to race and want the lightest thing going, then 1800 grams is too heavy no matter the price. If you are just trail riding, then you will get an indestructable wheel that is of an average weight.

The best part about the Bonty's is that they work great as a tubeless wheel set. You don't have to screw around with the Stans strips and drilling out your stem-hole. That was why I picked them...that and my bad luck with the crossmax rear hubs.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.