Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what is wrong with the Talas 34 ' s and why everyone Is flicking them as fast as they can?

I have just bought a 2 month old 2014 Talas 34 Kashima for my Bronson I am building up for a 3rd of the price of a Pike.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
Wondering what is wrong with the Talas 34 ' s and why everyone Is flicking them as fast as they can?

I have just bought a 2 month old 2014 Talas 34 Kashima for my Bronson I am building up for a 3rd of the price of a Pike.

Nothing wrong with it. Fox F--- up in 2013 with the introduction of the CTD. The 2013's were crap. That opened the door for the Pike and why so many people are going for a pike.
Many of the comparisons you read are 2013 Fox vs. 2014 Pike. From what I've read the Fox is much better for 2014 and a good fork.

Be happy, take advantage of those people just unloading the 2014s and save some cash.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nothing that I can tell so far. Just picked up a (barely) used 2014 Bronson C with a Talas fork, and so far it's great. I use it in 150mm mode 90% of the time (the bike feels more balanced that way), but for a steep climb it's nice to have the option to knock the front end down a bit. If I were picking my dream build I'd probably go with a 150mm Pike instead - the adjustable travel is nice but not necessary, I'd be happy with 150mm all the time and the Pike is reputed to be smoother all around. But I'm perfectly happy with the Talas I've got.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts

The Talas is what's wrong... on any bike.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Wow, that is super helpful. Thanks for contributing to an informed dialogue.
All of the relevant information is in the thread already, but my point is just that travel adjust forks are a gimmick (as I think you probably agree). They are heavier, more prone to failure, and have more stiction. None of these tradeoffs are worth the ability to lower your front end slightly, unless you are on a bike that has horrible geometry and/or you have a fork with more travel than your bike was designed for.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How are travel adjust forks a gimmick, I would have never thought that or are you just Trolling? You know Pike comes in Travel adjust too

·
Registered
322 Posts
All of the relevant information is in the thread already, but my point is just that travel adjust forks are a gimmick (as I think you probably agree). They are heavier, more prone to failure, and have more stiction. None of these tradeoffs are worth the ability to lower your front end slightly, unless you are on a bike that has horrible geometry and/or you have a fork with more travel than your bike was designed for.
Word

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
How are travel adjust forks a gimmick, I would have never thought that or are you just Trolling? You know Pike comes in Travel adjust too

Yeah, and I wouldn't get a travel adjust Pike either. Like Jkon said, he uses the fork in 150 mode 90% of the time. I would bet that over the life of the fork that will trend towards 100% of the time. So at best it's a feature you use a minority of the time you are on the fork. But there are tradeoffs associated with it that you experience 100% of the time, including more stiction and weight relative to the nonadjustable version. This is in addition to the extra failure points and more complicated service.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Don't get me wrong, the Talas will work fine, but it's not as good of a fork as the equivalent Float, and odds are, you will rarely use the travel adjust feature.

·
Registered
434 Posts
vert1 have you ridden a pike yet? before having my bronson built i demod a bronson and it had the fox on it. then i demo'd another bike that had a pike on it. it was like night and day in terms of plushness.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,599 Posts
Newer riders don't know how to climb with tall front ends....

We rode for years with a 7 & 8" Boxxers/Shivers/Super T's on the front of our bikes....Everyday trail bikes...and here in So. Cal. everything is straight up and straight down. You learn to ride with out adjustable travel.

Tried it on a couple of different bikes....hated it. Will never spend the extra $$ for that feature again.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Absoluteczech I haven't ridden either fork yet. I only reason I purchased the Talas was because it was cheap and I figured it would be capable, I don't really care that it has adjustable travel or not. I do prefer Rockshox forks and will end up getting a Pike if I see one on sale

·
Registered
322 Posts
Dude, I think most people have owed Taluses. They have issues, but I wouldn't get rid of a brand new 2014..... Very capable

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Virtually every informed review -- that is reviewers who have actually ridden both -- say there's no perceivable difference in feel between the 2014 Talas and Floats. Please note I said 2014.
Fox completely redesigned the Talas for 2014. It's a new system that eliminated the stiction of past years. There's tons online explaining the redesign.
Among the best reviews was from Ryan Palmer in the latest Bike Magazine "Bible" edition. He says in the past he saw no reason to use a Talas because of the quality difference from the Float. Now he sees no reason not to use one.
If you can have the same feel AND the ability to lower, even if it's only once or twice a ride, then why not?

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
Virtually every informed review -- that is reviewers who have actually ridden both -- say there's no perceivable difference in feel between the 2014 Talas and Floats. Please note I said 2014.
Fox completely redesigned the Talas for 2014. It's a new system that eliminated the stiction of past years. There's tons online explaining the redesign.
Among the best reviews was from Ryan Palmer in the latest Bike Magazine "Bible" edition. He says in the past he saw no reason to use a Talas because of the quality difference from the Float. Now he sees no reason not to use one.
If you can have the same feel AND the ability to lower, even if it's only once or twice a ride, then why not?
Ah why listen to any of that when you have such thorough reviews on here as the one below by someone that most likely hasn't ridden either.

everything

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
It costs more, it's heavier, there's more stuff to break (mechanically complex) and you'll end up never using it because it's unnecessary on modern bikes. That's assuming the performance is identical.

·
Registered
227 Posts
this thread is funny !......smoke another one if u think the talas is better than a float...especially on a bronson

1 - 20 of 21 Posts