Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a lot of opinions going around about overtraining, carb vs. low-carb, weight loss, etc. which all have me wondering about my own situation. 18 months ago, I was sick of the way I looked and felt and decided to get in shape... I am 45, 6 ft. tall, and weighed 196 at my peak... am now staying consistently between 170-175. I feel much better in the ways that people that exercise alot typically describe: don't feel the need for much caffeine, rarely get head/neck aches, have more energy, look better (per wife). More importantly, my blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides are all well into the "good" zone.

Below, would be a typical week for me... I'd welcome people's thoughts about what's right and/or wrong with this routine. Are there some adjustments you would recommend that would take my weight down even more (not that I look overweight now) and/or would increase my level of fitness? One thing I can say about this drill is that other than the substitution of protein shakes and bars for breakfast and lunch, I can pretty much eat whatever I want in the evenings... I am known to seriously chow-down on pizza and love my beer. Those things are not up for negotiation.

Sunday - usually the day reserved for long rides (weather permitting... will swap with Saturday if forecast calls for rain)... 45-60 miles in about 3-4 hours (avg. around 15mph) on combination of country roads and crushed/packed limestone trails which are converted railbeds. Drink 16-32 oz. of water and/or Gatorade and one protein bar during ride. Drink protein shake with a little creatine (for recovery) upon return.

Monday - Friday
1) stretch, pushups and situps for 10 mins, followed by 3 miles of jogging (30 min) first thing in the morning... drink protein shake with creatine upon return, then go to work. Eat good quality, well-balanced protein bar for lunch.
2) Time permitting in the evening, ride bike (same terrain described for Sundays) 20-30 miles in 90-120 minutes. Drink a low-carb protein shake in the evening since it is just before dinner and I don't want more sugar... keeps me up at night.

Note: I manage to run almost every weekday even if I am travelling on business... the biking is the thing I miss when out of town... rarely do I miss more than 1-2 nights in a week. My goal is to get 15 miles of running and 100 miles of biking in each week.

Saturday - spend time with the family, goof-off, if I do ride, it's typically on a trail that leads to a lakeside bar where we drink beer in the afternoon.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Big K said:
45-60 miles in about 3-4 hours ..... Drink 16-32 oz. of water and/or Gatorade and one protein bar during ride.
That is all you drink? I drink that much just sitting at a computer at work. You probably should be getting twice that amount down if your breaking a sweet duing that ride.

I'm not an expert on creatine in fact I've never touched the stuff, but my understanding is that it basically allows you to retain water in muscles. I've also read that it can lead to dehydration, link that with you water intake, I'm surprised your full of energy. Have you tried cutting the creatine? This may help reduce weight, but that may be just for those who use it to build up. Again, no expert.

I can't really help in the weight loss department, I'm the type who eats to ride.

Good Luck, keep it up.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Big K said:
-snip-
Below, would be a typical week for me... I'd welcome people's thoughts about what's right and/or wrong with this routine. Are there some adjustments you would recommend that would take my weight down even more (not that I look overweight now) and/or would increase my level of fitness? One thing I can say about this drill is that other than the substitution of protein shakes and bars for breakfast and lunch, I can pretty much eat whatever I want in the evenings... I am known to seriously chow-down on pizza and love my beer. Those things are not up for negotiation.
-snip-
Most of your week is a very reasonable balance of family life and exercise, but as long as you "don't negotiate" about your junk food and beer in the evenings, you probably are stuck with the extra weight. If you tend to be heavy, extra calories at night go straight into storage. I became diabetic a few years ago, and I just had to learn about moderation the hard way. I love chocolate, but I don't eat a whole bar at a time now, just 1 or 2 pieces (of the carb reduced kind too). If you're having 5 pcs. of pizza at one sitting, try for only 3, because pizza is *very* high in carbs, I found that out by how much my blood sugar spiked after pizza. If you're drinking 3 beers a night, try for 1 or 2 - maybe try the new "low carb" beer if it's drinkable for you. Just try for small reductions at first and see if it works for you.

·
Banned
163 Posts
Big K said:
Sunday - usually the day reserved for long rides (weather permitting... will swap with Saturday if forecast calls for rain)... 45-60 miles in about 3-4 hours (avg. around 15mph) on combination of country roads and crushed/packed limestone trails which are converted railbeds. Drink 16-32 oz. of water and/or Gatorade and one protein bar during ride. Drink protein shake with a little creatine (for recovery) upon return.
The lack of adequate hydration worries me. You should be taking in 16-32 oz per hour while riding. That's just not enough fluid for a 3-4 hour ride.

I use 28 oz water bottles. I drink a full one per hour no problem while riding.

weigh yourself before and after your rides. If you lose more than a couple of pounds that means you are searously under hydrating and in fact hurting yourself.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Yeah i agree that's not much water. For instance I'll drink 3x16oz bottles of water (have atough time cleaning my camelback bladder) in an hour ride, then stop at the 7-11 on the way hme.

As for creatine, my experience is that it makes you retain water, and a lot of it. It always made me feel, and look, bloated. After as little as threeo weeks I would be up 10lbs or so, but is that good weight? to me it's not. I am no expert on it, just speaking from personal experience.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks - weight loss on rides is 2-5 lbs

I appreciate the comments on hydration... to be honest, on the nightly rides up to 90 mins, I sometimes don't even reach for the water bottle until I am in front of my house in cool-down. I sweat like crazy during the rides and do experience a weight loss on the low side of 2 lbs (shorter rides) and 5 lbs (the 3-4 hour rides). Granted, when I get home, I am thirsty and do drink another 16+ oz. of water/Gatorade/protein drink and try to hold off the evening beer until at least 45-60 mins afterward. I must be part camel because I have never seemed to want/need as much water as guidelines suggest. Also, I've tried going for weeks with/without creatine and looked for a difference in water retention and observed no noticable difference.

So, two questions: 1) even if I don't feel the physical need for water, what am I doing to myself by not forcing more down? 2) I see lots of advice on this site about making sure to rest your body regulalry (which I am not really doing)... if I feel fine and seem to have gotten my muscles used to it, what harm comes from that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
You should be drinking far more often, that is just dangerous. If your losing that much weight it is not good, it will only come back so your not doing yourself any help by not drinking. If you reach the point where you are starting to become thirsty, you are already dehydrated and better start downing some fluids to hope you recover.

If you end up dehydrating on a ride, you will bonk. You will reach the point where you want to stop at the side of the road/trial and pass out. I would highly recommend reading about hydration. You should make a point of taking a drink every 8-10 minutes. You should also do something similar with eating on long rides. Keep in mind, while riding you are burning carbs, not fat.

I will also do 90 minute rides, where I don't drink as much as I need. However, I do hydrate prior to the ride, I usually get about 48-64oz. a day down. After my ride, I follow up with 32oz. of an electrolyte of some sort. The 90 minute rides though may be short races or all out rides and not a regular occurance.

You may want to look into intervals (fartleks in running I believe). You will warm up, then do a short 2 minute fast pace followed by a 2 minute slow pace and repeat. Follow up with a slower paced cool down. If your working on cardio keep the work to rest interval ratio 1:1 (each minute of fast gives 1 minute of slow), if your pushing your muscles hard then use a ratio of 1:3 or so (each minute of fast gives 3 minutes of slow). You can probably look some up on this and throw in a day or two to mix things up. Don't do these on your 3-4 hours days.

HTH

·
bang
1,290 Posts
Big K said:
Granted, when I get home, I am thirsty...
this means that you are dehydrated and shouldve been drinking water all along.

...I have never seemed to want/need as much water as guidelines suggest.
this is because your body has gotten used to being dehydrated. drink more water more often.

also, you might want to substitute sit-ups for crunches. your abs still get the workout, but its easier on your back. keep your arms folded across your chest or beside your head (not cupping your head) and do not bend your neck. you can have your feet on the floor or have them elevated (ie, have your lower legs resting on something like a chair or the edge of your bed). lift your shoulders / chest up (your back should not move off of the floor). dont let your head touch the floor.

this website might have some useful information regarding training and nutrition.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You already sound pretty fit to me. I know everyone carries weight differently but you're an inch or so taller than my husband and the same weight and I think he's thin.

Definitely agree with all the comments about hydration. I didn't look at your profile to see where you are, but I'm in Georgia and in the summer can easily drain my 70 oz camelbak on a 12-14 mile ride and still have lost weight when I get home. I was always told to drink about every 15 minutes whether you feel like you need to or not.

Also, on your diet...I'm not nutrition expert and may have read this wrong, but are you just eating a protein shake for breakfast and a protein bar for lunch?? That doesn't sound like enough. If you don't give your body enough fuel, it wants to hang on to what it does get. If you are just doing the shake and bar, you should seriously consider working in some more food, the usual -- lean proteins, whole grains, fruits, veggies -- IMHO anything that's not processed. I think you can still eat what you want at night and give yourself more during the day.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My only suggestion would be to maybe lift weights. If you are 6ft and between 170-175 that is pretty thin. Lifting weights can help you look more cut and you can still way the same. You shouldn't try to bulk up but more to increase muscle endurance and fitness. Also, creatine is not going interfere with your riding. You shouldn't be holding that much water if you ride alot, because you will sweat out the excess water.

·
ceteris paribus
593 Posts
Try eating more carbs on your breakfast (fruits, cereals, oats, whole grain bread), and lunch (veggies) ,less on you dinner (try thin crust pizza). Also eat a couple of light meals during the day. (instead of 3 heavy meals, make it 5, 3 moderate ones and 2 light ones). This way your not telling your body to store fat(emergency energy stash) but that there's plenty of food coming it's way (so not that many reservoirs are needed).
Also, you might be taking too many proteins.
here's another page that might help, specially when it comes to long rides.

http://www.ride424.com/10_Mistakes.html

·
Registered
44 Posts
I only read the part of the website about water, and I was pretty disappointed. "water intoxication"? WTF? I don't think that's a big problem among the MTB community. If you're worried about the imbalance between water, sodium, and electrolytes, then do what I do, lol. Buy some Gatoraide mix, and put just enough into your water to be able to taste it. I put in about 1 scoop per liter of water, and I drink about 1/2 liter per hour of riding.
When I get even a little dehydrated or don't eat enough, then I get HARDCORE migraines, with light, sound and touch sensitivity, audible blood pounding through my skull, and really bad nausea. When that happens, I usually spend the rest of the day/night wrapped around my toilet. Let's just say I have a good reason to figure out how much of what I need when I'm riding! ( I like to think of it as an advantage- my body has it's own early-warning system that helps me figure out my needs)

Besides the watered down Gatoraide, I also eat a PB&J somewhere along the trail, with breaks for some salty trail mix every half hour or so. That may seem like a lot, but even with that I get a mild headache. Any less, and I feel like I'm dying.

Pre-ride, I usually have some toast slathered with peanut butter (high protein and fatty) with a really nice smoothie. I'm even going to give you my recipie!

#A cup of fresh fruit (something soft- bananas, strawberries, blueberries, peaches...)
#A cup(meaning the cup it's served in, not a measurement) of yogurt (I use fruit yogurt, but vanilla is nice too)
#A cup of fortified soy milk (cow is ok)
#A cup or orange juice (I use high pulp, but whatever ya' got!)
#Some Frozen fruit (in the dinner section of Safeway)
#A scoop of soy protein powder (I'm a vegetarian)

A tall glass of that, and I'm good to go in the morning!

Afterwards, I resist the temptation for junk and suck on M&M's (not gulp, suck) while making myself a veggie sandwich- WITH avocado ( the vegetarian version of bacon- creamy, high fat goodness!!).

Anyway, I eat a lot, but still maintain my girlie figure, at 5'8 and 130 (muscly)lbs.

My (Also vegetarian) boyfriend eats a lot less on the trail, but can stuff down three times as much as me afterwards, so he makes up for it.

From my reading of the post, it sounded like you were only eating 'power food'- a power bar and (canned?) protein shake. I also go the impression you were trying to lose weight. Here's my take on all that.

1)Kill your scale. It says nothing. I had an anorexic friend who got down to 109, but she was still kinda...pudgy looking. Why? She had NO muscle. Muscle weighs more, and is our FRIEND. I love gaining weight, 'cause it means I can beat my buddies up that hill next time.

2) GO VEGetarian! It's really good for you! If you don't want to, (and most people don't) then just incorporate more fruit and vegetables into your diet. Stick to fresh foods, not power bars. The only reason I touch a Clif bar is cause I can eat them while pedaling sloooowly up hills. Why? 'Cause they're a mashed up little bar of goop! Make sure you get your vitamins (especially iron and C, and I've heard calcium is good for weight loss..don't know why) and pack in some good food. That high-protein bar may have lots of calories, but how satisfying is it? Go make a nice organic baby spinach salad. YUMMY! I had a...dislike...for vegetables before I started backpacking/riding. Now I'm a vegetarian, and still keeping up with the guys on the trail, and makin' 'em drool afterwards, too!

good luck with with figuring it out...took me some very painful rides, and trips to the porcelain god before I figured out what I need. Everyone's different, but sounds like you're on the right track, with lots of exercise. Now give your body the fuel to help itself.

-skink

Jeez this is a long post!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Carbs

The one thing I took from reading your post is you are using protein for recovery as well as on the bike. Your engine runs on carbs so feed it carbs. You are basically making your body convert the protein you are ingesting into energy. Try high carbohydrate drinks before, during and after. Give your body what it needs and don't worry about low carb. That just doesn't work for endurance sports. Try it and see if you do not feel better during your workouts. It may take you to the next level.

·
Registered
49 Posts
hey, this is my first post here and im new to mountain biking but i am NOT new to fitness, i dont belive in low-carb diets, fat free diets or other fad diets. in the end its caleries so the more you do the MORE you HAVE to eat the genral rule in figure out how many caleries you need to sustain your current wheight, mine happens to be around 2100 with my very active life, subract 500 and eat that amount and you will lose 1 pound per week, another rule that is very truwe, the slower you lose the longer it takes to gain it back. anyway i will give you guys a great website inwhich i do a workout plan that is 1 year long called "homegrown muscle" is not strenth but whieght loss and genral fitness, i modified it abit to give me a bit more endurence. the general rule is for every 20 minutes of strenuion activing drink AT LEAST (I think its..) 8 oz... mostlikly more.
anyway got to www.menshealth.com

i almost live my life off that site, it helped me lose almost 40 pounds and get in great shape, thatnk goid or i never would have attempted mountain biking.

·
College
1,198 Posts
Water is the number 1 suplement for your body. Professional Track athletes, bikers, body builders consume A LOT of water everyday. I remember reading somewhere that Lance keeps salsa around, because it doesn't have much calaries and makese you drink a lot of water, anywhere upwards of 1.5 gallons day. If you are actiive you should be drinking plenty of water. When i say plenty ii mean 1-2 gallons a day. Water Can be gatorade, milk, juice, basically anything with water in it. You just have to be careful with juice, gatorade, milk stuff because it has calories. Water iis still the best choice. What i did when i was traininig for the track season was in the morning fill up a gallon of water in one of those water jugs you get from albertsonos or someething, then make sure you fiiniish that all. At first iit will seem like a whole lot, and your stomach will feel like it's going to burst, but water empties out quickly. You want to drink enough water until your piss comes out practically clear, then you know you are properly hydrated. ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
right it should be clear, but dont ever do it, its hard to but dont. i think overdoing water can lead to low blow sugar, not sure better check up on it but do drink water. ohh ya, if you want to lose wheight. read the labels, see the ingredience? if one of the top 5 ingreidiants is High Froctose Corn Syrup then think about eating it, its a sugar substatute that causes your body to A: store all of its callories directly as fat and B: causes carbs to not be digested and turned into this certine compound that i forgot the name of and that makes your body feel like its eaten less that you have.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I drink enough water to where my urine is usually clear, occasionally it will be a strawish color (in the mornings for instance right after waking up). When I first started trying to get myself to stay hydrated I would get one of those gallon jugs of bottled water (like someone said above) and carry it around with me just about everywhere I went so I'd be sure to drink it all throughout the day. Used to that seemed like alot now I almost drank one of those things sitting down watching a movie. If I'm having an active day I'll consume around 2 gallons or so--a normal day of class and such around a gallon.

stalk&kill I believe you are referring to water causing sodium levels (not sugar) to be low (called hyponotremia); I believe it's fairly difficult to accomplish that... especially with the way foods are these days--I know it's never happened to me personally or anyone I know. Also High Fructose Corn syrup elevates trygliceride levels which causes the bodies fat burning & storage system to be slowed down (because triglycerides make the body resistant to insulin). So yeah say no to high fructose corn syrup.

To the original thread starter I would cut the creatine as it doesn't really seem like you need it--although it will help you retain water if you stay properly hydrated. Also I'd try and eat actual meals for breakfast and lunch.. even if they are small & still require supplementing with a shake or some such & maybe lay off carbs high on the glycemic index towards the end of the day..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.