Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local Scott dealer says the North American shipment of Scale Pro's are gone. Specialized dealer says maybe end of May for west coast. Is demand higher than anticipated?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Carbon fiber materials (and probably equipment and experience labor as well) have reportedly been in high demand and short supply for quite a while, most likely due to the very, very big aerospace companies using more and more carbon fiber in their new models

·
Cars Are Evil
1,125 Posts
Most bike companies are being very careful nowadays to not manufacture more than they can sell. Popular models sell out fast!

·
Your Best Friend
5,457 Posts
Same story as last year. Buy now if you want a 2012 model for next years race season.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Check out multisportdirect.com. Bert Hull has put together a pretty sweet full carbon 9er frame at a pretty good price. His brand is Warp9. The bike is called Warp9er. It even has a lifetime warranty and he is a good guy to deal with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cevan said:
My local Scott dealer says the North American shipment of Scale Pro's are gone. Specialized dealer says maybe end of May for west coast. Is demand higher than anticipated?
Scott has undergone some big management changes. They are promising a big 2012 bike line up. I also think there are going to address the shortage of bikes into N.America. Time will tell.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Happens every year.
Spring comes and bikes are late or in short supply....no matter what they are made of.
Same happens with cross bikes....Season starts in Sept...but bikes show up in Oct.
You'd think they'd figure it out.

·
Plays with tools
4,648 Posts
Vermont29er said:
Most bike companies are being very careful nowadays to not manufacture more than they can sell. Popular models sell out fast!
Winner winner chicken dinner!

The factories that build bike frames don't touch aircraft work. Granted the same materials are used but that isn't the cause of the problem.

Your LBS is asked to order bikes at least 6 months in advance and if you are talking Trek/Giant S-ed they are often sending you to the kool-aid festival a good 8 months before product will be available. Given the economy the last few years LBS have laid up and played it safe so as to not sit on inventory all season long. The manufactures then place there orders with suppliers and the children that make there frames and add a tiny bit for back stock. When the season starts to roll around the pre season orders ship and the tiny bit of extra inventory that the manufacture had made is gone as well. This leaves everybody playing catch up all season long. So if you want a popular bike go put an order in with your LBS today.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got lucky. I was trying to decide on a HT 29 between Specialized, Orbea, and Gary Fisher. I saw the Orbea Alma 29 and got one within a week or two. I've had my bike since January and have been riding it here in So Cal. I'm so happy I'm not waiting for a bike that may or may not come by April or May. Thanks to my local shop "Two Hubs" and Orbea. It climbs like a goat and I love it.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Silentfoe said:
Same story as last year. Buy now if you want a 2012 model for next years race season.
Yeah, you'd think that would work. I ordered a bike on June 22 last year...I cancelled my order in late February when the manufacturer couldn't promise a delivery date.

Yes, I'm bitter.

·
Your Best Friend
5,457 Posts
I have heard that one blade on a large, new windmill uses more carbon fiber than Trek uses in all their bikes for one year. This may or may not be true but I do think that there is a much higher demand for carbon now.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
Another aspect is pricepoint, carbon HT frames are going for almost as much as carbon FS frames, sometimes as low as only a 15% price increase. Also you have to consider that 29ers just got hot in the last year or so in terms of being REALLY BIG. So a lot of companies are playing catch up. Because of this, many companies played it safe and only offered aluminum to start to see where the market went with it, and gauge the demand for the carbon. 2011/2012 should prove to have a few more options with Santa Cruz coming into the game, maybe Yeti, Ibis might be going there as well. I am only speculating on the others besides Santa Cruz..but it would seem logical. Just like the long awaited 29er version of the C'Dale Scalpel...which will have a huge waiting list for sure. It is all about development/supply and demand.

·
Old Punk
530 Posts
There is no carbon shortage for sure. It's one of the most abundant elements in the universe. Now as for carbon fiber, maybe the industry is behind. Or it could be a marketing tactic that let's them charge a ridiculous price for a material that's the latest and greatest thing. I'll admit, carbon bikes are the s#!+, but give the industry time. It has the potential to be WAY cheaper to produce than alum.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts