Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Gloves are key

When I'm riding, it's usually not something where I'm not working hard. Even if it's downhill, I'm usually working pretty hard trying to be fast. I sweat when I work hard (I think that's a normal response) and my hands get sweaty. I wear full fingered gloves all year just to keep grip on the bars. Nothing's worse than having your hands slide all over sweaty grips. When I first started riding, my hands slipped for a second on my rigid, and I hit the wrong rock, which put a SERIOUS dent in my rim and ended with my nuts meeting the top tube and slamming into a tree at speed. :madman:
Riding without gloves? I don't get why you'd do it, but it just seems dumb :nono:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Riding without gloves is okay in the dry, with dry hands. But as soon as your hands start to slip you may want to think about some gloves. If your trying to be faster the last thing you need to think about is your hands slipping on the bars or feet on the pedals for that matter. No one is going to force you to wear gloves or not, but if you slip a grip by way of not using gloves you have no one to blame but yourself!

G

·
If you ride where cactus, rocks and all things look to remove skin like we do in Arizona, then its not even a question of gloves or no gloves, but rather a question of do you have enough glove.

I ride the Rockgardn Fate's and probably go through a pair a month since one good fall and they are toast.

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
Diggidy said:
If you ride your bike without a helmet you're a ****ing idiot. No excuses, any riding style, you should have a helmet on.
haha.. no question there
you'll never find me without a helmet OR without gloves on a bike.. even commuting I wear both, but that's personal preference..

which is what my Glove Police comment was about in the first place.. it's personal preference, some people ride gloveless or helmetless 'cause they chose to, some think those people are idiots, some people could give a damn either way.

so in the end.. who cares?
I'd much rather discuss what Sam Hill will be wearing for the next WC race.

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
Diggidy said:
If you ride your bike without a helmet you're a ****ing idiot. No excuses, any riding style, you should have a helmet on.
Tell that to the hipster fixie riding crew.

No lights, no brakes, whipping through downtown at 25-30+, with nothing but their girlfriend's pants, slip-on Vans, and a vintage french cycling cap on.

I have a difficult time feeling sorry when one of them gets hurt, even if it was a car that illegally pulled out in front of them.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.