Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a Push bash, but based on the raves on this forum about the Push upgrade, I sent a new Fox Float Ava down to Push to be upgraded, which they did and turned around pretty quickly. However, I received it without any comments/instructions on set up and I have both called and e-mailed Push to get some feedback on the shock without any response. I know many here have had a very positive response with Push, but it's a little weird to send e-mails and leave voicemails and hear nothing.

What I'm trying to figure out is what to expect from my Push'd float. Right now, I'm getting about a 1/4" of bob (on the shock stroke) when pedaling and it bottoms out fairly easily off curbs and drops no more than 8". I have it at about 180 lbs. right now and I weigh about 215 fully suited up. When I pump it up more I get less bob, but the ride gets more harsh, like my cane creek AD-10. Basically, right now, it's performing no better than the Cane Creek and I'm wondering why?

BTW, the AVA sleeve is probably at about 1/3 of potential volume.

Any advice out there?

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
1- Dial in the AVA. Sounds like you have it dialed to more volume than you need. It's likely what's causing the easy bottoming.
2- Recheck your sag. I don't know your stroke length, but sag should be 20-25% of total.
3- Keep trying with PUSH. By no means am I gonna make excuses for them, but they are quite busy & try to do a good job & really seem to care. Keep on them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What should I be looking for...

Thanks Squeaky,

So if my stroke is 1.5", I should be looking at sag of about .3"-.35"? It seems to me that the sag vs. AVA volume will be variable, i.e. the more volume, the higher pressure needed to maintain the proper sag, the less volume, the less pressure. This being the case, there would be an infinite number of combinations to achieve the proper sag. What other parameter might I look for to determine what's best, other than trial and error?

Thanks.

The Squeaky Wheel said:
1- Dial in the AVA. Sounds like you have it dialed to more volume than you need. It's likely what's causing the easy bottoming.
2- Recheck your sag. I don't know your stroke length, but sag should be 20-25% of total.
3- Keep trying with PUSH. By no means am I gonna make excuses for them, but they are quite busy & try to do a good job & really seem to care. Keep on them.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
Sag does not change because stroke length does not change.
Preload, i.e. the amount of PSI to achieve a given sag, will change depending on the size of the AVA chamber.

Excessive bottoming is caused either by too little preload or too much volume in the AVA.

After getting my Float PUSH'd I was able to decrease the AVA chamber by 60% to achieve the shock feel I was looking for AND my preload decreaed by 15 psi for the same amount of sag. Darren at PUSH explained the decreaed preload as a result of the increaesd nitrogen pressure which they use.

The rest is trial & error.

And one more thing...I also run far more rebound damping now than I used to.

·
Premium Member
7,610 Posts
I will chime in here. I have e-mail Push three times asking a couple of short questions about their products. I have never received a response to any of the e-mails (the last one was about 1 month ago). I understand they are busy guys, but if they can't answer a 20 second question prior to me giving them any money, I can't count on them to help me once they get my money.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I emailed them over 9 months ago and still haven't heard back. I'm starting to give up hope for a response ;)

I noticed that "PUSHIND" is currently viewing this thread, so you may get a response very soon...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Getting better...

So I cranked the AVA in all the way and I am getting less bob now and without the harsh feel of an overfilled airshock. Strange, I adjusted sag to about 3/8" took it for a ride and when I got back, sag was pretty consistent at 1/2" or more--must be breaking in a little. I'll add a little more air and see if I can maintain proper sag without adding harshness.

Funny, I thought Push returned the shock ready to use, but the adjustments i've made are pretty substantial. I'll check the rebound setting, but I think I'll have to take it out on my usual trails for fine tuning their.

Thanks for the help guys.

The Squeaky Wheel said:
Sag does not change because stroke length does not change.
Preload, i.e. the amount of PSI to achieve a given sag, will change depending on the size of the AVA chamber.

Excessive bottoming is caused either by too little preload or too much volume in the AVA.

After getting my Float PUSH'd I was able to decrease the AVA chamber by 60% to achieve the shock feel I was looking for AND my preload decreaed by 15 psi for the same amount of sag. Darren at PUSH explained the decreaed preload as a result of the increaesd nitrogen pressure which they use.

The rest is trial & error.

And one more thing...I also run far more rebound damping now than I used to.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Growing pains.

Eventually most small/ new companies experience growing pains. My parents had a roofing company install a new roof on their home a number of years ago. They were pleasantly suprised by the low price, profesionalism and quality workmanship. After they moved to a new home less than a year later they used the same company - the price was a bit higher, the profesionalism was borderline and the workmanship had slipped. My father wondered if they would be in business to honor the warranty in years to come. Its not un-common for a busy start up company to miss communication - problem is new customers will find a different vendor that does respond.

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Just be persistant in trying to contact them, they are very busy however once you do get a hold of them they are both (Darren and Jimmy) very helpful and friendly guys. I had my Vanilla done up by them and haven't been happy with it's performance. I've had my bike in there since I live locally and they have revalved the shock 2 more times. I'm still not completely satisfied with the performance, and Darren has stated he wants to ride my bike on the trail to see what is going on. We've been trying to schedule this for about a month now, but as stated they are a very busy and small company. It has been a little frustrating but I'm sure I'll eventually be able to get this shock to my liking.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Ouch!! Okay, Okay Uncle!!!!

Hey guys/gals,

Hmmm, where to start??? Well, as far as I knew both our e-mail and voicemail systems were in fine working order. My apologies to anyone who doesn't feel like they're getting proper service or support and, as always, feel free to contact me utilizing my direct e-mail: [email protected]. As for voicemail, well with the Nationals going on and the traveling that I've been doing, that's not the best way to reach me. I can assure you that everyone involved in Push is dedicated to our customers.

A couple of notes on setup. Yes, we're lame for not including return information. I'm working on an additional sheet that will be returned with each shock/fork along with the invoice that you currently get back when you receive your shock. Shocks, should be going back to customers with the clickers, spring rate/air pressure, and AVA sleeves set in the general guideline positions. Customers should however, always make minor adjustments to fine tune the setup for their/your personal taste. I will be sure to follow up on this to make sure that the shocks are being sent out this way.

I'll keep an eye on this post as well if anyone has any furthur comment or questions. Oh, almost forgot. To our air shock customers, we have a new decal to replace the current lame one that should be arriving in the next day or so. If you currently have a Pushed Fox Float shock or Air Vanilla and would like to get your hands on the new decal, please drop me an email with your mailing address and I'll see that you get one. (Disclaimer: Some assembly required with the new sticker!!) :D

Darren Murphy
Push Industries

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
PUSHIND said:
Hey guys/gals,

Hmmm, where to start??? Well, as far as I knew both our e-mail and voicemail systems were in fine working order. My apologies to anyone who doesn't feel like they're getting proper service or support and, as always, feel free to contact me utilizing my direct e-mail: [email protected].
Darren Murphy
Push Industries
Darren,

I had read all the rave reviews about Push here. I read the page MBA dedicated to you (even if they do not mention Push open wide).

I'm a mechanical engineer myself and although I hadn't worked in the design/eng field I understand all the hard work you're doing and have a LOT of respect for the kind of testing and data collection you already have.

I'm surprised you take the time to answer personally almost all of the orders you have and personal inquirys at your e-mail, on the phone and on these boards. You even take the time to work in some Pro's bikes in the middle. You should be working 25 hours a day.... at what time do you feed your dog and date your girlfriend???

My respect for the work you're doing, to your dedication and knowledge. Because if anybody is not aware, to get the knowledge to design, modify and rework an hydro/pneumatic damping unit takes long hours of study and dedication (lots of math too) and not only shop experience.

My respect. I had never ever dealt with Push but I'll look forward to get a shock pushed at my earliest possible. You're on the right track and if you compare your services to the ones offered by the rest of the field, you're miles away from them regarding quality, service and price.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Pushed and International customers

Can somone at Push Industried please tel lme why they dont accept international customers ? I would really like to get my rear shock pushed.
Thanks

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
A little of this and that........nothing cheap! Try to buy local, which is really hard!
917 Posts
DH_WP said:
Can somone at Push Industried please tel lme why they dont accept international customers ? I would really like to get my rear shock pushed.
Thanks
Not sure if Canada is considered International or not.
(Given the New attitude in the US, one never knows.......)
But I live in BC and had know troubles.
(The exchange rate is the only complaint I had........not that this is Push Industry's problem. LOL)
:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
PUSH - our .02

Just to balance things out.....

I recently sent my wife's Float R off her 2K Titus RX to Push for the platform upgrade. She weighs 100lbs. soaking wet, and the stock shock was never ideal. She's still wringing it out, but so far is super impressed. Getting better travel/action than before and pedaling it seems as firm as a hardtail; hard to believe it is possible. Got a call from them when they received the shock to firm up details, and got tuning tips from them then.

Only thing she didn't like was the sticker, glad to hear about a new one ;)

Every interaction was great, and turnaround was very fast. My Float and future RLC will be sent to them too. I really wish these guys the best.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.