Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to sell my 02 RFX frame (bought a DHR :thumbsup: ) and so far the only offers I've had for my frame have been £150 or £300 ($240 and $480) with both people saying that they wouldn't pay any more for a frame that is 7/8 years old.

Are these people ignorant? Or am I expecting too much?

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
that is currently the fair market value, unless you've updated the paint/rockers/shock and are patient. The ideal buyer is someone looking for a bike that can take a thrashing so why spend? Hard to make them realize that the rfx is going to get them more thrash for the money.

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Your expectations are unrealistic. It's 7/8 years old and we've seen 2 generations (HL/TNT) have past with the possible debut of version 3 this summer, Aluminum has a 5 year life expectancy for most bikes is what some will say., DT liquidated new RFX's for 1000 bucks just last year. Think if you get 500 bucks you'll be lucky (as that is what DT would give for a trade up.

·
... I guess you won't be
1,974 Posts
Unless it's a classic + timeless steel [or Ti] hardtail, nothing drops of faster worth-wise than a mountain bike........you'd probably get more for it, if you wait 5 years and sell it as a nostalgia piece.....You're better off keeping it, since you won't get what U want for it.

Unfair, yes - but perception is reality, and it's an old aluminum full boinger

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm biased here. But I don't think a 5yr Al rule w/ the 02 RFX matters much. And regardless of HL/TNT/DW they are all Turner. Get $400 and call it good. Or give it to a local ripper for a deal and earn Karma points.

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
greenmacheen said:
I'm biased here. But I don't think a 5yr Al rule w/ the 02 RFX matters much. And regardless of HL/TNT/DW they are all Turner. Get $400 and call it good. Or give it to a local ripper for a deal and earn Karma points.
My comment about 5 years is what some people would use an excuse to lowball. My point is he will be lucky in this current market to get 500 bucks (Turner trade equivalency)for a older used frame whether it is a Turner or not. As stated above by another poster, DS frames lose their value exponentially as the years go by.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,762 Posts
greenmacheen said:
Ok, maybe the main-frame holds up, what if a rocker breaks, or a pivot ovalizes, or a chainstay/seatstay breaks? You're simple screwed. I know it's harsh, but you definitely shouldn't expect much. Maybe hold out if you can or throw-in a few "freebies", but otherwise it's not that it's a bad frame or bike, it's just OLD.

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
Just keep it if you think you're not getting a good price for it. I've always regretted selling a lot of the frames I've sold.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Things change. In the last 7-8 years Turners have changed a fair shake. To expect to bring in over $500usd for a frame that is 2-3 generations past is IMO a bit silly. Nostalgia would be the only thing to bring that rig back at a higher value. New/current technology shock and new bushings would be a must if I were considering a Turner more than a couple seasons old. New headset is a bonus, but would do little to change my offering price.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Trade in

Turner will give you $600 U.S. on trade in.
AL29er said:
Things change. In the last 7-8 years Turners have changed a fair shake. To expect to bring in over $500usd for a frame that is 2-3 generations past is IMO a bit silly. Nostalgia would be the only thing to bring that rig back at a higher value. New/current technology shock and new bushings would be a must if I were considering a Turner more than a couple seasons old. New headset is a bonus, but would do little to change my offering price.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
slorider? why do you put your rear shocks upside down ? they will last longer, run smoother with gravity helping to keep the assembly oil in contact with the seal/shaft interface. this is how they work to cycle dirt out.

·
~~~
2,039 Posts
It's not so much prejudice as it is supply and demand. Market is saturated with lots of used bikes. Unless your frame is practically new, or it's a hard to find size, color, configuration, you're not going to get much. As others have said, at least it's worth $500 as a trade in!

·
Registered
30 Posts
alimaclikespie said:
I'm trying to sell my 02 RFX frame (bought a DHR :thumbsup: ) and so far the only offers I've had for my frame have been £150 or £300 ($240 and $480) with both people saying that they wouldn't pay any more for a frame that is 7/8 years old.

Are these people ignorant? Or am I expecting too much?
Would *you* pay more than that for a 7-8 year old frame that was designed for abusive riding?

You just bought a DHR... it's not like you can honestly tell anyone that your bike has only been used for sunday rides on paved bike paths.

:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.