Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do some people not feel the need to carry at least the basics: multi tool, tire levers, pump, and patch kit? I'm getting tired of having to stop to bail these people out. I bought the largest hydration pack I could find just to have room to carry everything. Even back in the day I had one of those wedge things that fit between the top and seat tubes. Now I believe I'll start carrying around a tip jar to present to anyone whom I have to bail out. :madman:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Myself and most everyone I know carries tools, spare link, etc and they really don't take up much space at all.

I also carry a medical kit that includes a few drugs as well. Which I find interesting most people who even carry tools don't carry basic injury patching gear.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
You'd be suprised at the number of folks that stop in the bike shop that don't have tubes, tire levers or a multi tool. I don't get it. At the absolute very least, every cyclist, road or mountain, must have the wherewithall to fix a flat.

·
Loser
538 Posts
I used to have a multi-tool but I stupidly left it on the side of a trail at Ridgeline a few weeks back. I went to retrieve it the next day and it was gone. Now I ride without any tools because I'm too lazy to go buy another.

Someday I'll learn my lesson.

·
Registered
9,583 Posts
I was always Mr. Prepared. Whenever I'd have a mechanical that I didn't have the right tool to fix, I'd carry that tool next time. It never amounted to a ton of weight...but I was ready for most breakdowns.

I used to ride with a bunch of guys who were of the "who needs tools?" variety of rider. Maybe a patch kit, maybe. I'd always have the tools they needed. Just like in my life as a house builder, if some tool begger knows you have the tool they need and you'll lend it to them, well, they never have to own that particular tool!

Finally I announced "this is the last time I lend any of you any tool whatsoever. Deal?"
They looked at me like it was my fault they were having mechanicals. I stuck to my guns and when they'd break down I'd say "sorry". Again with the look.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Why do some people not feel the need to carry at least the basics: multi tool, tire levers, pump, and patch kit? I'm getting tired of having to stop to bail these people out. I bought the largest hydration pack I could find just to have room to carry everything. Even back in the day I had one of those wedge things that fit between the top and seat tubes. Now I believe I'll start carrying around a tip jar to present to anyone whom I have to bail out. :madman:
HHMMMMM....I wonder if it has anything to do with riding experience.

For example, maybe a guy is used to riding some smooth dirt paths near his house. One of his friends tell him about an awesome "real MTB trail" he's never been on before ....and one day he tries it. Sharp rocks, goat heads, etc and all. POP goes the tire. Or the derailleur gets busted. Well that's never happened before....how do I handle that??

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
I was always Mr. Prepared. Whenever I'd have a mechanical that I didn't have the right tool to fix, I'd carry that tool next time. It never amounted to a ton of weight...but I was ready for most breakdowns.
I resemble that remark! My camel bak weighs a ton, but I have been very happy when something happens and I am prepared. I'm also very happy to have the right tool to bail out friends when they need it. On the other hand, I do have the guilty pleasure of riding without my 30# camelbak occasionally. When I do, I feel like I'm superman on the climbs!

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Where do I sign up for free everything?

·
Rigid in Evergreen
1,538 Posts
I've run into people before pushing or carrying their bike due to the most trivial of mechanical issues. I of course fix it for them and send them on their way since it's ridiculous to see someone needlessly walking next to the most efficient means of transportation ever developed by man. In my experience it has been more of the xc / xterra racer types who just "run what they brung" and rely on their LBS for everything.

·
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some background: I had to bail out a man on Community Ditch. He had an old Spesh Stumpy that had a slow leak in the front. I loaned him my pump. It didn't take all that long, but it was still annoying to have to stop and wait. I think I learned my lessons on the east coast, where some trails are actually kind of remote and seldom ridden. You get a mechanical out there and you're screwed. There are a hell of a lot more jagged rocks over there, too, so breaking down is always a distinct possibility.

Of course, my father hasn't learned his lesson yet. He sets out on a 20 mile ride with an eight ounce bottle of water and a completely empty saddle bag. I've had to bail him out many a time. I'll end up forcing him to put a multi-tool and some patches in his saddle bag, but something always happens to them. He's had to stop people to fix his flats when I'm not around.

·
Registered
154 Posts
There's something to be said for supporting irresponsible behavior in other riders... don't do it.

I'll stop and help someone who's hurt all day. But fix YOUR flat? Have fun walking out, maybe that'll teach em. Not trying to be a dick about it, but personal responsibility imo is a prerequisite for this activity.

·
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now that I think about it, I screwed myself by not being ultra prepared. Once I drove from Aurora out to Hartman Rocks to spend the weekend. Rode about three hours Friday afternoon. On the way back to camp, I snapped my derailleur hanger. No one had a spare hanger for a Heckler (no one knew that the hanger is the same on a Superlight or Juliana). Got in the car and drove back to Aurora. Six hours driving for three hours of riding.

I carry tools galore when I drive out with the intention of spending a couple days riding.

·
Alaskan in exile.
439 Posts
I don't mind stopping to help...

I almost always have my tool kit (seat bag) with when riding. I have been caught without it once or twice, in my haste to get out the door and on the trails, but I have been lucky in those instances.

To pay back into the karma bank, I am always willing stop and help someone else out. Most recently, I loaned someone my multi-tool to repair a busted chain at Buffalo Creek. He was from S. Carolina and visiting family in the Springs. He didn't think he was going to have time to get out and ride, so he didn't bring all his riding gear with him.

I would have given him my spare SRAM 9sp powerlink, but his rental bike had a 10sp chain. Interestingly, he said several people stopped to help before I did, but none of them had a chain tool in their kits. It completely made his day (and ride), so it was well worth the ten minutes I was stopped.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.