Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
jmeldrum26 said:
Neither Fox nor Rockshox has a single air-sprung fork that comes in basic black. What gives?
yep, except for the Sid Race, SID Team, SID World Cup, Reba Team, Reba Race, Reba SL from Rockshox... that is assuming you are talking about just XC forks. BTW, the SID has easily removable decals and comes with other decals in the box IIRC. As for Fox, white has always been there thing on their XC forks and they don't do anything else except for OEM orders. Manitou also offers all of their forks in black

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
The original SID decals are under clear coat, and new decals just go over top of them.

Fox is currently doing the all white thing on their air forks, but you used to be able to get the Float in gray, and some OEM versions of the Float in black. They're available on the used market.

Personally, I like white forks. Always have.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Read up fork mfgs--won't buy a white fork

jmeldrum26 said:
Neither Fox nor Rockshox has a single air-sprung fork that comes in basic black. What gives?

Good point. I have a background in design and see that preponderantly white forks do not complement many frames. Fork manufacturers should ignore merchandising trends and give us more plain gray and black forks as an option. I was heartened to read that Sid decals were removable--seemed very smart--and now see that is not entirely the case. Missed a chance there, Sram.

(Logos--being an apostate graphics person, I sure like to remove them. It's not so hard to understand--graphics rarely [almost never to a connoisseur] add any appeal and almost always detract. Make the logos very small; no billboards, please.)

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
BadHabit said:
I have a background in design and see that preponderantly white forks do not complement many frames.
What wouldn't go with white though? I thought it went well with just about every color.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Meh... It's the "in" color atm. I don't hate it, but I would prefer a basic black or gray myself. Of course I have 2 white forks now :eek:ut:

My inner conspiracy theorist says that the fork mfg are getting kickbacks from the component mfg for the increase in aftermarket sales of white components to match the white fork color.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
bad mechanic said:
What wouldn't go with white though? I thought it went well with just about every color.
I like white. White space; white shirts. White walls, for sure. Smart choice for cars in the desert. You're right.

I am building a bike with a lot of white lettering on it and its components (very un-BadHabit; very logo-heavy; the NASCAR approach), and I briefly considered a white fork and stem.

Somehow white does not impress as a fork (on a non-white frame). I struggle to say why--balance?--but from the replies here my reaction is not uncommon.

Some say such choices can't be aesthetically absolute, but I disagree.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I dislike the white fork trend as well. I want a 2010 Fox Float RLC but in only comes in white:mad: I am going to wait to purchase a fork because of the color.

I'm one to care all that much about how my bikes look but I can't stand a white fork. It stands out to much.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Most Fox fork lowers of the same size are interchangeable so if the color is important, you can replace the lowers. For example, the 2009 Float, Talas, and Vanilla come in white, titanium, and black respectively. If you have the Float and want to change it to black just call Fox and tell them you want new lowers for your Float in black. Make sure you specify QR or QR15. It will come without the graphics (which you can buy for an extra $ if you like). The Fox website includes archives going back several years so you can see what was available when your fork was made.
I did this myself though not specifically to change color. I just wanted the QR15.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
/shrug White hides dings and scratches better. Closer to the color of the metal underneath. People used to complain about all the black and dark colored forks on the market years ago, they looked like crap after a season of hard riding. If it bugs you that much, get in touch with the manufacturer, sometimes they'll swap lowers for you if they're the same except for color. Did that with my X-Vert when I went from a blue and yellow frame to a black and red one. Not that I'm particularly fashion concious, but a screaming yellow fork just looked silly.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You can get Fox forks in other colours for an upcharge 50pounds in the UK. They started it in the 2009 range IIRC. Don't know if they still offer this.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I too prefer white forks just swapped black talas for white revelations and think they look much better. Still have the fox's if anyones looking for replacement lowers :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts