Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
255 Posts
Poor Lemond. Its sort of sad that he has such a hard time being forgotten about. It seems to me that his comments implicitly reveal that A) he used drugs and B) he is jealous that someone has taken over his U.S. TDF mantle and has done so without drugs.

rroeder said:
Anyone read the article on the Velonews website about Lemond talking smack? Why can't he keep his mouth shut, if Merckx and Hinault can support Lance, why can't he? Even if he's right, he still looks like a jealous jack***

http://www.velonews.com/tour2004/news/articles/6571.0.html

·
Awesome! Totally awesome!
117 Posts
Or maybe he's the only American brave enough to call ******** when he sees it? He was on the inside for a great many years. He's not some French journo out for blood. Of course he's jealous, who wouldn't be in his position. Lance is still six odd minutes back, so we'll see, but let's just say I don't hold him in as high regard as I used to. He races only one race seriously. He focuses on one goal. Wouldn't you do anything to achieve that goal? That being said, GO LANCE! But, GO TYLER!!! louder!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
When I first realized cyclist dope I thought bad of them but I guess now I could care less shoot if you can do it and not get caught the only person that it effects is yourself possibly with ill effects later on in life and I guess it would matter to the guy who got second place he'd be mad at you. Heck if I was a TDF winner 5 times and pulled off a sixth I'd wait two years and say yep ya'll was right I used and abused but never tested positive. Would his results be nulled? I mean legally he NEVER TESTED POSITIVE so could what he said after he raced cause a big reaction to his results? Heck a good pr guy would just say "Lance was drunk and making jokes it's not true" Would drugs in MTN biking make you less interested in the sport? not me besides NORBA can't even afford prize money let alone drug screens. Let them dope and when you see there heart blow up on the last 2k of a mtn top finish it will be good entertainment.

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
rroeder said:
Why can't he keep his mouth shut, if Merckx and Hinault can support Lance, why can't he?
He hasn't been getting enough fiber...it's making him cranky! :)

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
kennbenny667 said:
Wouldn't you do anything to achieve that goal?
Nope. LeMond doesn't realize how damaging his comments can be not only to the race, or to racing in general, but to cycling (especially in the U.S.) as a whole (including sales of his bikes). To suggest--or it he outright saying Lance is cheating--Lance is doping is financial suicide.

Until it's proven, I think we need to give him (and the rest of the althetes who are tried in the court of public opinion) the benefit of the doubt. He's the one who has to sleep at night; I ain't losing any sleep over it.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kennbenny667 said:
Or maybe he's the only American brave enough to call ******** when he sees it? He was on the inside for a great many years. He's not some French journo out for blood. Of course he's jealous, who wouldn't be in his position. Lance is still six odd minutes back, so we'll see, but let's just say I don't hold him in as high regard as I used to. He races only one race seriously. He focuses on one goal. Wouldn't you do anything to achieve that goal? That being said, GO LANCE! But, GO TYLER!!! louder!!
I'm sure LA has doped and I'm sure Lemond did too, but Lemond should be smarter about what he says-he's only hurting himself. Bottom line is Armstrong is clean now and he is still kicking butt, so doping back in 98' or 99' when everyone else probably was too does not give him an advantage. They could go after any TDF or World Cup winner back in the mid 90's and find something, Lemond just needs to shutup untill there's proof.

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
Lemond needs to shut up!

Unless he has proof...shut it! He is serving no one but himself by trying to discredit Lance. He's actually doing himself a disservice as well as it's making him come off as a whiny little crybaby instead of as a respectful former champion.

Hey Greg, you were the greatest American cyclist at one time - but I emphasize WERE. Get over yourself... LA has ridden through the door you opened and BEYOND. It's the way of the world...move on!

Go Tyler!!!

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
What do you mean u are sure he has doped? Prove it.

He has admit to taking EPO, as part of his return from Cancer. Stage road racing is half physical, half mental, and 100% pain threshold. Even thought I'm betting against Lance this year, my guess is the tour is a walk in the park compared to cancer survival.

·
Your Customer Sales Rep
650 Posts
C.Savage said:
Heck if I was a TDF winner 5 times and pulled off a sixth I'd wait two years and say yep ya'll was right I used and abused but never tested positive. Would his results be nulled? I mean legally he NEVER TESTED POSITIVE so could what he said after he raced cause a big reaction to his results?
Arnold has admitted to using steroids in his bodybuilding days, no flack when its water under the bridge. My personal feeling - if Lance is doping, I'd be disappointed, but not shocked. In general, the dopers seem to stay one step ahead of the testers. Alot of the dopers seem to get nailed through accusations of witnesses or being caught with parphenelia, and not through actual drug testing.

Check out the latest scandal in Australia - all these guys (6 or 7 of them) never tested positive either:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/18/1087245115867.html?from=storylhs

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/040712/afp/040712073819spo.html

D.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Agreed

Duncan! said:
In general, the dopers seem to stay one step ahead of the testers.
Agreed. Consider a continuum with simple vitamins at the white of the spectrum and anabolic steroids at the black. There is a lot of gray in between those two ends. I think it's safe to say that Lance (and everyone else in the tour) has "the best vitamins" available in world. The question is how dark of a shade of gray are those vitamins and whether or not they will be considered "doping" at some point in the future...

At any rate, GO TYLER!!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Lemond is on the attack because he is in the firing line over the comments made by his wife in the French book. She reported one side of a conversation between Lance and Lemond but there are multiple meanings to what she claims Lance said. It shows how flimsy the evidence used by Walsh and Ballester is. But his credibility is on the line so he is defending it by attacking Lance. IMO. And meanwhile he is more generating publicity for the book in France without exposing himself or his claims to scrutiny in the States (other than from armchair experts on a few biking websites).

·
Registered
180 Posts
people always hate the guy that tells them "theres no santa"... like its that person's fault that santa doesn't exist. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
kennbenny667 said:
He races only one race seriously. He focuses on one goal. Wouldn't you do anything to achieve that goal? That being said, GO LANCE! But, GO TYLER!!! louder!!
Only one race seriously? I don't agree. In previous years, he's won several different races, too.

Lance's 2004 Training and Racing Schedule:

Jan
~ 20-29, Training Camp, Solvang, CA

Feb
~ 18-22, Tour of Algarve, Portugal - I think he was playing "domestique" for George Hincape in this one, Hincape took 2nd

Mar
~ 3-7, Tour of Murcia, Spain - 23rd
~ 20, Milan - San Remo, Italy - ??
~ 27-28, Crit鲩um International, France - 3rd

Apr
~ 20-25, Tour de Georgia, USA - Lance won this one

May
~ 19-25, Tour du Languedoc-Rousillon, France - 6th, and USPS won the team

Jun
~ 5-12, Crit鲩um du Dauphiné*Œib鲩, France - 4th, definately a training ride according to his own interviews

July
~ 3-25 - Tour de France

Aug
~ 18, Men's Olympic Time Trial, Athens, Greece - I hear he's not going to do this anymore

Sep
~ 12, T-Mobile International, San Francisco, CA USA

Oct
~ 15-17 - Ride for the Roses Weekend, Austin, TX

I think he's focusing on a little more than one goal. He definately has one main goal, but he has others, too. The Tour de Georgia was a tough race.

Add all this to his off bike work, his foundation and stuff, and I'd say he wouldn't do anything to jeapordize that. His foundation is his most important thing - biking's just the means to fund it. And anything that would take from that, I just don't think he'd do.

But, opinions are like... well, you know.

·
Registered
515 Posts
TrailRiddler said:
people always hate the guy that tells them "theres no santa"... like its that person's fault that santa doesn't exist. :rolleyes:
You mean Lance has told Lemond that there is no Santa, and that's why he's bitter? :D

I like that analogy. So many people want to believe that Lance is on drugs, they must be incredibly frustrated at the lack of evidence and his repeated denials. That must explain Lemond's outrageous comment: "I don't know how long he can convince everybody of his innocence." Lemond isn't doing himself or the anti-drugs cause any favours. Comments like that and the current exclusion of riders for being under investigation for 3 years with no presumption of innocence just make the anti-drugs cause look like a witch-hunt.

Like I said, his judgement has been clouded by personal issues.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
- You know what I'd like to see??????

Trek STAND UP for their man & CLOSE LeMond Bicycles for good......

Greg needs to get a life and realize his place in cycling history.

·
Your Customer Sales Rep
650 Posts
The whole public bitterness thing is pretty ugly, along with the fact that the French press resent Lance Armstrong and hold him to a higher standard. On the other hand, Greg Lemond is not merely some armchair quarterback. He is a 3-time TDF winner and he's been around and seen a lot. I question his motive and methods, but wouldn't dismiss him out of hand.

The sad state of affairs is the result of the fact that inadequete testing has put atheltes in the position where they are under a cloud of suspicion and "guilty until proven innocent". There is no test for human growth hormone (it is rumoured that it may make its debut in Athens this year as the IOC's "secret weapon"). There are no tests for other performance/strength-enhancing products like anterior pituitary peptides or equine growth hormone. When tests for these are devised, the cheaters will have long moved on to the next generation of performance-enhancing drugs. One day, using drugs could look passe as gene and cell therapy hit the consumer market. D.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.