Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a new bike equipped with Avid Juicy 7's. I coveted these brakes when they came out and hoped to buy a pair someday. All the mtb publications have sung their praises and give the Avid hydro's the highest ratings. However, my friends that own them tell me that they are terrible and most of the posts I read about Avid Juicy's are very negative. This is a 2006 bike so I expect I'll be getting the latest incarnation of the brake. What can I expect?

I have used Avid mechanicals are they are fantastic! I've also had several positive experiences with Hayes hydraulics and very few problems. Can I expect better or worse performance from the Juicy's?

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
No problems so far for me. I have had them for 4 months and have been very quiet and not a hint of the shuddering problem. If I am lucky I will take it, but dont let these posts scare you too much. Try them and see for yourself what YOU think. When people have problems with a product they tend to be more vocal than those who have had no problems. I am not discounting the fact that there must have been problems with some of the Juicys because of Avids willingness to readily work with the consumer for the stated issues. In conclusion, try them out and see what you have got. If they work for you great, If not sell them and try something else. But for comparison sake look at the reviews and you will see that there are complaints for every brake out there. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Surprised people don't like the Juicy's personally. Just got Juicy 5's after running BB-7's, and they are awesome! So much easier to set up, and they feel a lot better too.

·
Am not, had mine removed.
230 Posts
Nothing............

I have 2 sets of 5's and 2 sets of 7's one set of 7's came on a SC VPF and date back to pre-release. Anyhow they work and require little work. The squeak goes away after they are broke in. The cs is outstanding and the performance is better. There is nothing wrong with them. You want problems to complain about, get yourself of ProStops.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
If you have problems with noise and shuddering from the rear brake, and if your front brake squeals like a stuck pig every time you grab the lever..............>

Change the pads, and go to round rotors. This *may* fix the problems.

If not, learn to live with it. The brakes are very good and very powerful, it's just the noise and shuddering that's a PITA.

R.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Mine have the exact noise issues described by Rainman, I would heed getting them because I to once coveted the J7's but now I am enjoying my time on my other FS bike equipped with XT Shimano hydros.

The noise is of course bearable and makes for a good trail bell when warning hikers, bikers, and horse back riders. But I think I am going to give a good look to Martas or Hopes once I sell the J7s and get some more cashflow

·
Bearlike
164 Posts
The LBS Mechanic...

told me that Avid pads tend to glaze over long braking, thus causing the squealing. He went on to say that by wetting them with a bit of water and rubbing on concrete in a circular motion, you get rid of the glazing. I've done that once already and the squeal has gone away.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, that's some helpful information. I just bought a new 2006 Gary Fisher Paragon 29'er and it comes equipped with the Juicy 7's. The bike came in today and I have not had opportunity to rid it yet. I'm also waiting on a 7" polygon rotor for the front wheel. My girlfriend has the Juicy 5's on her bike. She has had some squealing issues initially but they have been quiet for a while now. You'd think I would have learned a lot about the brakes by working on her bike. However, my bike maintenance always seems to take precedence.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've been on my Juicy Carbons for a few months now. No problems to speak of. Actually I can only speak words of divine praise for these brakes. The El Camino is the only brake that even has close to the adjustability.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, I'm using a pretty modified Juicy 5 setup. I'm using Goodridge hoses, Galfer pads, a Magura Marta SL Rotor on the front wheel and a normal Avid wave rotor on the rear. Due to some wierd spacing between the wheel spooks and the caliper, I had to use a Hayes bracket to fit the caliper.

I must say the brakes really work very well. Braking power is excellant and modulation is really great. Heavy rain, thick sticky mud, etc, it has never failed me. Now comes the down side, it the front brake still squeals and I can feel a little stuttering sensation. Surprisingly, there is less squealing on the rear brake and no stuttering. I suspect this is due to the fact one of the pistons on my front caliper is a little sticky.

Overall, I find if you have a problem with these brakes, just do one of the followings:
1) Realign caliper.
2) Check for sticky piston
3) Change pads
4) Change rotor.

And if you are like me, make sure your wheel spokes aren't rubbing against the caliper!

·
Transplant
882 Posts
Sqealing is common

Littlebear73 said:
told me that Avid pads tend to glaze over long braking, thus causing the squealing. He went on to say that by wetting them with a bit of water and rubbing on concrete in a circular motion, you get rid of the glazing. I've done that once already and the squeal has gone away.
The glaze could be due to long periods of braking but more then likly the pads are just new. Almost all the OEM pads I can think of have a coating on them because it extends the life of the pad. In your first 20+ hours on the bike you have what is called a break in period. Its not something LBS made up to cover their crappy mechanics work. My good shops when they sell you brakes or a new bike should warn you about this. The alternative that you state is taking off that coating and pre-wearing your pads. You won't have the noise but you have just taken off 20+ hours of pad life. Hope that makes sense.

-Keith

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the same squeel noises from my rear brakes. Moving the pads front to back didn't fix it either. I bought a set of EBC green pads, and they have been trouble free. I actually forgot the brakes ever made noise on the first ride with the new pads. I sometimes used the brakes to let a ride in front know I was back there. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Steel wool, or preferrably a 'scotch-brite' pad, would be better than sandpaper for cleaning the rotors.

On car brakes, squealing is often fixed by putting a coating on the back of the brake pad to prevent chatter with the caliper. Several brands including spray and liquid are available at an auto parts store. I wonder if anyone has ever resorted to trying it on squealing bike disc brakes?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Was going to ask the same question as the OP when I saw the thread. Down the line I'd like to upgrade my brakes and was looking at the Hope Mono-Minis and no the Avid Juicy7's, if you had to choose which would you?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just bought a new 2006 Gary Fisher Paragon equipped with Avid Juicy 7's. On the first two rides the brakes were quite nice. Silent, good modulation and adequate stopping power. On my third ride the performance has deteriorated terribly. The brakes make an odd noise as if I'm am choking a Turkey...gobble...gobble. They pulsate and leave me wondering if I'll get stopped at all? The weird thing is that I have another bike that is almost identical in set up only it's the GF Rig model equipped with Avid Mechanicals. The rotors are the same on both bikes and they both use the same pads. Both bikes have a 185mm polygon front rotor and a 160mm polygon rear rotor. So why do my hydros SUCK so badly and my mechanicals work flawlessly? These are both hardtail bikes so there's no monkey motion in the rear that sometimes effects braking, shifting, etc.

My girlfriend has Juicy 5's and she has suffered from the same problems. After a couple of months the noise and pulsating eventually went away. Another buddy of mine has Juicy 7's and his brakes SUCK as badly as mine. He often complains about the braking inconsistency and their grabby nature. I have found that these brakes perform the worst in slow speed braking situations and mildly better at speed. I just can't figure what happened to them between Sunday and Wednesday? Suddenly they went from good to terrible. I just don't get it and Avid doesn't seem to have any answers???? These are their top of line offering and they seem to have not field tested them? I am very, very disappointed in my Avid Juicy 7's. So much that I might eat the cost and toss them in the garbage. That seems like the most fitting place for them.

·
Over the Hill
1,769 Posts
I share your frustration, switched to Avid 7" round rotors and got rid of the pulsating not the noise. Then EBC Green pads, worked for a while then low speed squeal returned.

I have some Galfer pads coming from Go-Ride. If that does not work I will try Galfer rotors then give up.

I do like the brakes, just not the noise. They have no rotor rub/drag at all, which has not been my experience with Hayes Mags.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
dstepper said:
I share your frustration, switched to Avid 7" round rotors and got rid of the pulsating not the noise. Then EBC Green pads, worked for a while then low speed squeal returned.

I have some Galfer pads coming from Go-Ride. If that does not work I will try Galfer rotors then give up.

I do like the brakes, just not the noise. They have no rotor rub/drag at all, which has not been my experience with Hayes Mags.
Hayes Mag with 8 inch Hayes rotors always squeal at low speeds. I'm pretty much done with Hayes. Going to pick up a set of Avid Juicy 5s and use them with my Hayes rotors. If it's noisy, I think I can deal with it after the Hayes. I'm done with them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.