Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
3,617 Posts
Mootsie said:
Anyone heard/read anything about what Surly may have in store for 2009?
not a word

i wonder how well their "completes" have sold? (complete bikes)
i'd think about trying to market them more, if feasible... (i can only imagine the logistics of completes vs frame & fork)

i think the BD is a big hit.

the Instigator, i think could use some reinforced marketing, namely in the direction of a 26er for Urban use... rigid fork, and maybe a rear Nice Rack... that bike rocks! plus it can suddenly morph to accepting a FreeRadical, going that much closer to a BD.

I've seen a few new to fairly new LHT's out on my rambles along HWY1, here in Cali...

i have a very strong feeling that Touring is on a big rise...

touring is the sport activity of utility function...

if there were an "over the top"

it would have to be a Brother David Sunshine, Endo shod Big Dummy complete with rack and StokeMonkey.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I've seen tons of CCs and LHTs up here in Portland, OR. I have yet to see a Big Dummy on the road. Part of me really wants to pick-up an LHT frame set and then convert the CC back to a singlespeed for the winter. I've got a stash of parts that would be perfect on an LHT.

I could put a Big Dummy to good use. I don't drive. Unfortunately I don't have a garage, just a basement which is difficult enough to bring my CC into at night. And there is no chance of parking a BD upstairs in the house.

I was out on my CC in Forest Park today. It's such a great bike. All the Surly bikes are so great. I mean they look great set up with a Brooks saddle and Nitto components or with the latest gear.

As for the original poster's question... Maybe a Disco Check (CC w/disc brakes)? Or an LHT that is disc compatible? Who knows, but I'm sure it'll be good.

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Sold plenty of cross-check completes, and doing a traveler's check soon.

They seem pretty tight lipped, so who knows right now.

Anybody else planning to goto the show?? I already got my confirmation. :)

·
Team Captain
1,322 Posts
My shop moves the complete steamrollers like they're crack. We take them, strip them, powdercoat them to customer specs, and then rebuild with whatever the new owner wants. It's a good inexpensive start to a custom fixed gear since you get all the simple stuff out of the way, cranks, headset, seatpost, stem bars. Slap some cool wheels on and your saddle of choice DONE!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would love to see some "mixtes" built using adjustable dropouts like the Cross Check with either long reach dual pivot brakes or Avid shorties. My lady is 4 foot 13 inch and she could use a sloping frame with a 700 wheel. Most of the mixtes I see use either the 27 inch wheels or the crappy bottom pull brakes in the rear. As we get older we want functionality over style. I'm hoping Surly will come thru as this is a possible "next big thing", retro always sells.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I really hope Surly doesn't make a mixte. Now a tricycle, serious tricycle, capable of handling PBP... Now that's another story...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mojoe said:
Not that I need one, but I'd like to see a 1x1 with a derailleur tab, or a karate Monkey with a full set of touring braze-ons.
This, I'd definitely like to see this. They could call it the 1xWhat (or 1x?, or 1xWhatever). Let people run full-length housing if they want a derailleur, leaving the frame as is.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i would like to see a karate monkey complete. Offer it in a basic single speed form with surly hubs in the front and xt hubs with the spacer kit in the rear, BB7 brakes, but without a sadle, grips, or tires.
I want a simple basic package that leaves room for customization.

The Karate monkey NEEDS to have full braze ons. i want to get another bike right now that i can ride trails and do very light weekend tours on.
I am waiting to see what the 09s will have, other wise i am looking for a used KM and a set or OLM racks.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
A KM with OMM racks seems like a nice set-up, a perfect set-up for some weekend off-road touring.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.