Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Waiting to exhale.
Joined
·
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very interested in the AM 1. But I have a silver bike. The combo is going to be sooo ugly! What would be worse, that combo or wrapping fork lowers in some kind of black tape? Maybe, I could get a bottle of black paint and a paint brush and paint it black? But what kind of paint?
 

·
Trampelpfadbenutzer
Joined
·
692 Posts
I would leave the fork as it comes.
Better for resale later anyways.It doesn´t matter what color the fork is but it does matter how it performs to you.
Imagine,I own a grey bike with a brown colored fork mounted to it.How ugly is that?

Later
RaD
 

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
Joined
·
8,848 Posts
SMOKEY said:
I am very interested in the AM 1. But I have a silver bike. The combo is going to be sooo ugly! What would be worse, that combo or wrapping fork lowers in some kind of black tape? Maybe, I could get a bottle of black paint and a paint brush and paint it black? But what kind of paint?
eh, i'd leave it as is. if you want later, strip the lowers, and do a decent paint job.

i think tape would just get all messed up and be even worse.

on a five-spot, right?
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
Pull the AM1 lowers off and send them to Olympic to get a matching silver powder coat and use the 04 Z1 lowers while that is being done - OR just leave the 04 lowers on there!!!!!
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
SSINGA said:
Pull the AM1 lowers off and send them to Olympic to get a matching silver powder coat and use the 04 Z1 lowers while that is being done - OR just leave the 04 lowers on there!!!!!
Horrible advice......what SSINGA meant to say is that you should send the "frame" to Olympic to get it colored Desert Storm and voila, you have a matching bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,476 Posts
Leave it as is. I am about to put one on an Orange Spot which will probably look worse than babysh!t on silver.

Smokey, pull the trigger on the AM1. Apart from being a tad heavy, it seems to be the perfect fork.

I am starting to get the feeling that my AM1 will show up when the '06's are out. I have been waiting way too long.
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
FoShizzle said:
get it colored Desert Storm
Ahhhh, Desert Storm???? Official MTBR color name for the AM1 is Earwax Tapoica :p

And Smokey....if you decide to tape it, use Faux Carbon Fiber tape so at least the fork looks lighter. Add an ICT sticker as a performance "hop-up". Maybe DT can send you some of the new green ones!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,032 Posts
SMOKEY said:
I am very interested in the AM 1. But I have a silver bike. The combo is going to be sooo ugly! What would be worse, that combo or wrapping fork lowers in some kind of black tape? Maybe, I could get a bottle of black paint and a paint brush and paint it black? But what kind of paint?
I think you should purchase the AM1 in Canada. We have a ban on hershey squirt brown, so Marzocchi made our AM1 with black lowers.

yet another reason why Canada is a great country!

:D
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
006_007 said:
I think you should purchase the AM1 in Canada. We have a ban on hershey squirt brown, so Marzocchi made our AM1 with black lowers.

yet another reason why Canada is a great country!

:D
Time out.....someone has their forks mixed up. The Fox Chocolate Thunder...errr...ahhh ummm...36 comes in Hershey squirt brown. The AM1 is Earwax Tapoica. :p

Are you sure the black one is not the OEM only AM2?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,301 Posts
Leave it. Remove the stupid stickers and let it get dirty to match the rest of your bike. It doesn't look bad at all. I have mine on a polished Quasi-moto. My buds used to say how ugly it was at first now they think it looks pretty good.

Get this fork. It is sooo nice. I had a Fox Talas before this one and this is a major upgrade. I smile everytime I get on it.
 

·
Waiting to exhale.
Joined
·
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FoShizzle said:
Horrible advice......what SSINGA meant to say is that you should send the "frame" to Olympic to get it colored Desert Storm and voila, you have a matching bike.
Oh man, thats terrible! :eek: :D
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
Take the QR20 lowers off your existing DJ fork and put em on the AM1.

What is the status of the x-heavy springs for the Z1, or are you giving up on that?

As long as you are thinking of dropping a wad of $$, look a the Pike Air. It weighs less than the AM1 and you won't have to worry about springs since you just pump it up to match your big guns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
981 Posts
I am usually a big fan of color, but I think Marzocchi picked out such an odd color for the AM fork. It doesn't really match many frame colors other than say black, white or if you can find a tan color frame (how many of those do you see?).

I would just live with it though if you wanted the AM. I have wrapped beater road bikes with duct tape before, and after a while it gets messy because the tape shifts and stretches and you get this sticky adhesive residue that will just attract trail dirt and crap.

I would just remove the lowers and have them powdercoated, but that may void the warranty? Ask Marzocchi before doing so.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top