Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
I find it amusing that this is not the first time this question has come up. my BiL ask the same thing when he bought a modern mtb for the first time in a few decades. not that everyone should know what this is, but these weird blocks keep appearing on new bikes without any context.

manufacturers are making one version of a frame and that fitting it with different components to meet different market demands. some builds get a FD and others don't. I suspect that lower end bikes some markets get a 2x9 or something. makes sense.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,221 Posts
I find it amusing that this is not the first time this question has come up. my BiL ask the same thing when he bought a modern mtb for the first time in a few decades. not that everyone should know what this is, but these weird blocks keep appearing on new bikes with to context.

manufacturers are making one version of a frame and that fitting it with different components to meet different market demands. some builds get a FD and others don't. I suspect that lower end bikes some markets get a 2x9 or something. makes sense.
A fair number aren't given the mount at all. But yeah, many of the frames that do come with the mount might be given different drivetrain options at different price points. Usually it's the ones at a lower price that get a 2x, but not always. Shimano still does offer 2x up to the XTR level.

But when you do have a front derailleur, the direct mount is a good bit easier to adjust than a clamp band type. The clamp band types have that additional plane of adjustment you have to deal with (rotation around the seat tube). I still have one in service on my road/gravel bike. It works fine in that application, but I don't like it for mtb.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I have a single on my MTB but double on my gravel bike, and am pleased with both set-ups. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I find the non-direct mount on my road bike a pain in the ass to get perfect.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Mint condition '06 Cannondale Prophet 600
88 Posts
I have a single on my MTB but double on my gravel bike, and am pleased with both set-ups. Just sayin'...
IMO that's irrelevant b/c this is MounTainBikeReviews, not GraVelBikeReviews

·
Registered
105 Posts
I prefer a 2x to a 1x. I'm sort of down to buying used bikes from now on so I can run a 2x if I want it. The jumps between gears seems more natural than the 1x bikes I've ridden, especially when you consider the top to bottom range.

I've got a two mile street ride to the trails and the big ring is nice, but there are a lot of times climbing up a hill or going down one that one shift with my left hand gets me back and forth to where I need to be without much change in cadence. Sometimes I ride behind guys on bikes with 1x setups (that might not know how to shift) and their shifts clunk and grind when they get into a climb, but mine sounds so smooth and effortless... Something about that woosh sound of the front derailleur just seems so much nicer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts