Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what s the word when the headset stops at certain places???? like at 9oclock 10:30, 12,///////


pivot or somthing/????

anyway my headset is doing that.... is that bc its too tight or is the headset screwed?
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,395 Posts
Indexed is probably what you're thinking of. Did you just adjust the headset, or is this resulting from longer term use?
 

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
14,907 Posts
nicolicious said:
.. is that bc its too tight or is the headset screwed?
Well, it is worn out if it is indexed. Over-tightening often leads to the headset being worn out prematurely.
 

·
Picture Unrelated
Joined
·
5,123 Posts
kapusta said:
Well, it is worn out if it is indexed. Over-tightening often leads to the headset being worn out prematurely.
Some headsets are indexed on purpose.
 

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
14,907 Posts
zebrahum said:
Some headsets are indexed on purpose.
Care to give an example of this?

I have never seen such a thing. Why would you want to do this?
 

·
Picture Unrelated
Joined
·
5,123 Posts
Noobi-Wan Kenobi said:
Is there such a thing?
Could we not assume I'm making things up for a couple minutes?

Yes there is. I've seen them only a handful of times, but they would be found most frequently on old road bikes.
 

·
mtbr member
Joined
·
491 Posts
zebrahum said:
Could we not assume I'm making things up for a couple minutes?
I wasn't assuming anything. I was just interested.
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
For what purpose...

zebrahum said:
Could we not assume I'm making things up for a couple minutes?

Yes there is. I've seen them only a handful of times, but they would be found most frequently on old road bikes.
What was the purpose and how old?
 

·
Picture Unrelated
Joined
·
5,123 Posts
kapusta said:
Care to give an example of this?

I have never seen such a thing. Why would you want to do this?
From what I was told, and I took this with a grain of salt myself, it was used to have the bikes track straight while riding. If I can find an example I'll post it, I'll have to check through my ancient headset pile and see if anything shows its ugly head. It was sort of handy when working on the bike because the wheel would stay straight in the stand.
 

·
Picture Unrelated
Joined
·
5,123 Posts
Oh god, it's been ages, 80s or earlier. Makes me want to do a trip to the collective and see if they have anything.
 

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
14,907 Posts
zebrahum said:
From what I was told, and I took this with a grain of salt myself, it was used to have the bikes track straight while riding. If I can find an example I'll post it, I'll have to check through my ancient headset pile and see if anything shows its ugly head. It was sort of handy when working on the bike because the wheel would stay straight in the stand.
Are you sure this was not someone trying to sell you a bike with a shot headset:p
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,395 Posts
zebrahum said:
Could we not assume I'm making things up for a couple minutes?

Yes there is. I've seen them only a handful of times, but they would be found most frequently on old road bikes.
What seems more likely to me is that happened more often (the indexing from misadjustment) to more old road bikes with the threaded headsets, was more common on older mountain bikes that used those headsets, too.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top