Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 28 spoke, radial laced front wheel (Extralite wheelset). It is true but has two very loose spokes and the others seem a little low on tension too. I had one shop rat tell me he would simply tighten them up and ride it. I'm not a wheel builder but I'm not so sure about this method because of how complex wheel building can be and also it is only 28 spokes and I want to have to done right so the wheel remains strong.

What the certified way of fixing this situation? What should I ask the shop to do? Do I have them loosen all the spokes and retension the entire wheel?

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Slobberdoggy said:
What the certified way of fixing this situation? What should I ask the shop to do? Do I have them loosen all the spokes and retension the entire wheel?
If you have two loose spokes, I seriously doubt the others are evenly tensioned. So even if you tighten the loose ones, what do you tighten them to, some random value? And then you'll continue to have problems. If the wheel is worth fixing, I would loosen them all, lubricate, and retension.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thanks a lot I wasn't sure. I don't know wheels very well but do know it can be a pretty esoteric science.

Trouble now is figuring out which LBS to trust them with. :rolleyes: :skep:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.