Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a haymaker!!

Any damage to you? What kind of stuff have you seen? Yesterday was a windstorm in the south bay and today was a rainmaker.

I lost power yesterday for a few hours during the wind. My chimney cover flew off and put a huge divot in my lawn. It missed the car, thankfully. Today, I cruised around the neighborhood and saw a lot of downed trees and fences.

I drove around Stevens Canyon and there's water and debris all over the place. There's a bunch of mudslides too.

Better stay away from Demo forest this week. If the road is not closed, it is not safe!

francois

·
Mtbr Founder
35,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Posted on Mon, Jan. 02, 2006
Friend tells of bicyclist's death by tree

ymcBy Sandra Gonzales

mcMercury News

The bicyclist who was killed by a tree in Los Altos Hills while riding during Sunday's storm was identified by a friend Monday as a 39-year-old research scientist from Redwood City.

Dan Plummer was riding with friend Eric Saltzman on a familiar narrow road in Los Altos Hills when Saltzman said he heard a loud snap. He turned around to see a eucalyptus hit an electrical wire.

He went back -- and found Plummer underneath, Saltzman said.

Plummer -- a champion cylist -- died instantly Sunday morning on the path the two rode at least once a week -- a victim of the wet, wild weather that socked the Bay Area during the past few days.

·
Trip the Bike Fantastic
588 Posts
downtown fairfax was about 2 feet deep in water. all the businesses on bofax were closed on the 1st, and many today, too. Everyone's got sandbags up. Artifax's floor is shot - they're ripping it all up. The highbrow furniture store at the old Good Earth looks like it's whole inventory is gone. My street was OK, but all the drains plugged around me, houses flooded, one on wood lane slipped down the hill.

Word is San Anselmo was even worse, flood jumped the creek downtown and filled downtown with 4 feet of water. I've been sticking close to home since NYE.

I hear Iron Springs is closed to all traffic from mudslides, so you'll have to get into Tamarancho elseways - although I can't imagine what the riding is going to be like now.

i grabbed these shots from wunderground.com.

Attachments

·
WWYD?
1,603 Posts
Hey Tim!

You were here for the storm!

Didn't get much sleep Friday night keeping an eye on the creek. Upper Olema Rd. was flooded, but our block was spared of any mud or runoff. I woke up late on Sat and rode down to San Ansmellmo but most of the water had receded. Here's a pic of Kent Ave in Ross that was up to your bb in water. and a bike in front of the SA Coffee Roasters. Pretty much summed it up.

Walked the dog on Tamarancho late in the afternoon and saw three riders. Iron Springs is rideable and the trail held up great up to the Cascade Canyon spur. The runoff is making for some fantastic waterfalls and the sound is incredible. I'm going out in the morning.

j

Attachments

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,862 Posts
Who is Eric Saltzman...

...and why does that name sound familiar?

No damage here. Surprising, since I live out in the country and the wind has no obstacles before ramming into my house. They built the levees up a few years back, so there was no flooding here.

I wouldn't mind taking a week off from work and going somewhere to help. Anyone got any ideas?

fp

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
francois said:
What a haymaker!!
Any damage to you? What kind of stuff have you seen?
francois
What a weekend. Lost power for 24 hours, but other than that, my house and yard are intact. Downtown Mill Valley is another story though. Flooding was pretty bad (Mill Valley Cycleworks had 3ft of water on their <new> showroom floor) but nothing like what I hear towns further north like San Anselmo and Fairfax saw.

I tried to ride up Tenderfoot trail yesterday, but the entrance to the trail was wiped out and there was yellow caution tape restricing access. Not sure how the house at the entrance there fared, but their driveway was deep in mud. Imagine the hillside behind them came down. Ended up riding some of the fire roads on Tam instead, and the raging streams were awesome.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Up here in Sonoma county there's lots of flooding, closed roads, mudslided, etc. A lot of the kids in my class live in Forrestville or Guernville, so they may not be able to make it to school today.

Some of the formerly dry creeks in Annadel are nearly impassable.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Martinez looked a bit like Fairfax. I woke up to a river running down my street with the water just hitting the bottom of the doors on my car. I got it moved to higher ground. There was a good 2 maybe 2.5 feet of water running down the street with a fair amount of force. My neighbors little Jetta was pushed about 10 - 15 feet down the street. The power was out from about 8am to about 3pm on Saturday. I lost count of how many blue arcs of light I saw a few blocks away while I was helping sand bag some of the local businesses. My understanding that the river of water running down my street was the run off from the hills behind me and not the creek that runs through town. Crazy!

·
Mtbr Founder
35,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finch Platte said:
...and why does that name sound familiar?

No damage here. Surprising, since I live out in the country and the wind has no obstacles before ramming into my house. They built the levees up a few years back, so there was no flooding here.

I wouldn't mind taking a week off from work and going somewhere to help. Anyone got any ideas?

fp
Eric Saltzman and Dan Plummer are long-time elite road racers. More info here:

http://www.teamspine.com

francois

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
One official said damage in San Anselmo alone could reach $30 million after a 4-foot wall of water inundated the downtown area Saturday. Damn, hopefully that is the high projection, wonder how Gravy Wheels faired?

San Anselmo Ave isnt really long, so that accounts for a lot of damage to business.

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Cycledelic said:
Word is San Anselmo was even worse, flood jumped the creek downtown and filled downtown with 4 feet of water.
I went out to dinner with my wife and daughter at La Coco's last Thursday night and we checked out the creek after dinner. I wouldn't believe the water could get that high unless I saw it on the news. Sounds like we were some of the last people to eat there for a while.... I posted a couple pix of San Rafael on this thread

-slide

·
Registered
11,716 Posts
Real lucky..

to have not lose power over the weekend. Lots of downed trees and flooding due to the sewer pumps being over whelmed with rain and that real high tide on saturday.

I did have to get up on the roof to divert water off the satallite dish, but that wasnt bad..

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
In Santa Cruz...

Hwy. 9 is closed and will be for at least a month. The closure is between Santa Cruz and Felton. I live in Santa Cruz right below the levee of the San Lorenzo river and Saturday was real interesting... a lot of Police activity on the levee Saturday morning so I went to check out what was going on. I was told that the river was going to overflow the levee within the hour so I should be ready to evacuate. Santa Cruz has a unique way of warning the public of impending danger... they don't! I went to my neighbors and warned them about the the possible levee breech. They were also unaware of the danger we were in. I spent the next hour on Saturday preparing for the worst. I also was told to check the levee every 15 minutes until the water started to go down.

Thankfully the river never made it over the levee. Now, all I have to deal with are ants :eek: I sure do have a lot of compassion and sympathy for those who are affected by floods.

·
Banned
913 Posts
hillslide here

I'm in the Oakland HIlls and I had a slide come into the house.....lots of shoveling, good for the upperbody! Fortunate enough, my riding buddies showed up and helped for about 10 hours.....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.