Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Shiver's are good forks. I'm sure if you search you will find differing opinions. They are reliable, plush...etc but some complain that they are flexible. If you're already set on getting one, I'd check in the classifieds and in the buy/sell forum on RM. That's the best way to find what a good price is. It's going to be easier to find a slightly older one because very few Shivers were sold for '05 and I think they were snatched up by die-hard Shiver fans who won't be ready to sell them for a while.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
stgil888 said:
Shiver's are good forks. I'm sure if you search you will find differing opinions. They are reliable, plush...etc but some complain that they are flexible. If you're already set on getting one, I'd check in the classifieds and in the buy/sell forum on RM. That's the best way to find what a good price is. It's going to be easier to find a slightly older one because very few Shivers were sold for '05 and I think they were snatched up by die-hard Shiver fans who won't be ready to sell them for a while.
very true except for flex.....if you tighten down the axle by puting the axle through tighten the pinch bolts on that side....then tightening the axle to bring everything together....then tighten the pinch bolts then it is not as flexie.....besides i like the little give going through rockgardens....for an 05 Shiver you could spend up to 700 bucks for......

BTW riding the Z-1 lite has simply amazed me....I wonder about the 888rc2x....will be checking that fork out real soon

·
100% Cheesy Goodness
489 Posts
I'd say pick up a 888. you can get em used for not so much $$$$. My feeling is that if you are 150lbs or less the shiver is a good fork. Any heavier and i just flexes too much for my tastes ( im 200 w/gear). On dead sailor drops they rock, but once you get into anything off camber or a flat turn my shiver would throw me off the line i wanted and made controling the bike slightly more difficult. The 888 is everything a shiver is and then some. It has a whole lot more stiffness to it but the same great damping. There is a reason that Marzocchi has sold the crap out of them, and they come on most every 7" and 8" FR and some DH bikes.

·
100% Cheesy Goodness
489 Posts
what ever you do make sure that its got the HSCV in it. The VF is OK, but you cannot be the feel of a 888rc, 88rc2x etc. Just depends on what year of fork you are looking at.

·
Dr. Bike
205 Posts
wow, I can't believe you guys think the shiver flexes...
If you want your bike to pedal good then you probably don't want a shiver, 888, or any double crown for that matter.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
david101372 said:
wow, I can't believe you guys think the shiver flexes...
If you want your bike to pedal good then you probably don't want a shiver, 888, or any double crown for that matter.
I don't think the Shiver flexes. I know it flexes.

Go ride a shiver for a couple rocky DH runs, then try the same runs on a DH40, then you too will know the meaning of fork flex.:thumbsup:

·
Dr. Bike
205 Posts
well I've done tons of rocky downhill runs but I have my shiver on an RM9 so perhaps I didn't notice the fork flexing because the rear end was flexing so much. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.