Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
moosehead said:
Yo, Mtbeoytcher123, the Pro Bore poll is closed already per your directive.
I'm like 0/3 today:madman:

In my Pro-Core opinion, this forum is totally lackingPolls. There is enough diversity here now that I think we could really get some good feedback. Moose, you are one if not the most, well spoken and neutral personalities here. Think you could get something going?;)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Enduro racing (Mega Avalanche, etc), long Super D's (Downieville, Mt Ashland, etc) are where a light 6" travel bike is needed. When I had my RFX, I had it built to 33lbs when I was using it for everyday riding. When I used it for races like Ashland's 12 mile Super D race, I put a PUSH RP23 (switched from DHX Coil) & lighter tires to get it closer to 30. Reason? I was trying to win, & competing against guys who also were on light 6" bikes, & having raced them before, & being beaten by seconds on a 40+ minute race, well, every ounce makes a big difference. These types of races demand a capable 5-6" bike built up where every pound makes a difference, Mark Weir had his Nomads under 30lbs for the couple years I did this race & won the pro class each year, by only seconds.

That is the point of owning a 30lb 6" bike.

Of course, now that I don't race as much, my Spot is a pig at 33lbs, built for pure fun :D

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
inkpad said:
Enduro racing (Mega Avalanche, etc), long Super D's (Downieville, Mt Ashland, etc) are where a light 6" travel bike is needed. When I had my RFX, I had it built to 33lbs when I was using it for everyday riding. When I used it for races like Ashland's 12 mile Super D race, I put a PUSH RP23 (switched from DHX Coil) & lighter tires to get it closer to 30. Reason? I was trying to win, & competing against guys who also were on light 6" bikes, & having raced them before, & being beaten by seconds on a 40+ minute race, well, every ounce makes a big difference. These types of races demand a capable 5-6" bike built up where every pound makes a difference, Mark Weir had his Nomads under 30lbs for the couple years I did this race & won the pro class each year, by only seconds.

That is the point of owning a 30lb 6" bike.

Of course, now that I don't race as much, my Spot is a pig at 33lbs, built for pure fun :D
Are these Mege endurance riders a big enough group to justify a whole line of bikes to accommodate their style or are these the guys with the most denero/sponsorships. I have always rode my bike for "fun" ..whether racing or just hangin' with some really fun peeps. Regardless, you can do a lot to lighten a bike BWO of super lightweight components that are available. Why sacrifice the the integrity/versatility of an AM frame? Except to say that "it's lighter so it's better...and therefor worth the added expense" even though there is actually "less" to it. While instituting a shorter warranty period. Just sounds odd...IMO.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
Are these Mege endurance riders a big enough group to justify a whole line of bikes to accommodate their style or are these the guys with the most denero/sponsorships. I have always rode my bike for "fun" ..whether racing or just hangin' with some really fun peeps. Regardless, you can do a lot to lighten a bike BWO of super lightweight components that are available. Why sacrifice the the integrity/versatility of an AM frame? Except to say that "it's lighter so it's better...and therefor worth the added expense" even though there is actually "less" to it. While instituting a shorter warranty period. Just sounds odd...IMO.
I believe there is a big enough market, which is why the bigger companies like Specialized & Trek are making quite a few of them, as well as smaller builders, like Orange, Lappiere, etc, who are also making a few complete 5-6" bikes in the low to under 30lb range, to satisfy riders who want or need a capable 6" bike, without the weight penalty. I see where you are coming from on possible failures, especially folks who would go out & buy a Trek Remedy or Specy Endoro & only use them for jumping, hucking, resort riding, cause that is not the market those bikes are made for. Myself? I don't go out on every ride seeking terrain to jump off, huck, cliff drop on my Spot, though I also don't shy away from that terrain, but I do prefer to go as fast as I can down terrain, not much of a sessioner.

For the record, last years Mega filled up early, 1600 racers, I am gathering about of 1600, a couple of them are not sponsored, but that is just a guess by me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts