Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a guy riding a cyclocross bike on a local trail that's fairly technical. My thought was "One bad hit and his bike is totaled or hello tacoed wheel." So it's a combo mtb/road but I don't see the relevance.

·
Administrator
575 Posts
mtbnachos said:
I saw a guy riding a cyclocross bike on a local trail that's fairly technical. My thought was "One bad hit and his bike is totaled or hello tacoed wheel." So it's a combo mtb/road but I don't see the relevance.
Oh Gawd, where do I start.

In my humble opinion, cyclocross is the purest form of bicycle racing. There's no hiding in a peloton, and those who are in the upper echelons of the sport are masters of fitness and technical prowess.

I often ride my CX bike on our in town 8-mile stretch of singletrack because, like singlespeeding, it makes old trails fun and challenging again.

As for tacoing a wheel, it may come as a surprise to you just how much abuse a road/cx wheel wheel can take -- the hub flanges on many road hubs are wider than on a disc-specific mountain bike hub, in some cases this will yield a stronger, more resilient build. Our wheels are plenty strong, it's our brakes that suck ;)

Also,
try CX racing, it's addictive.
...After you begin racing please subscribe to our magazine so that I can finish putting myself through grad school.

XoXo,

Josh

·
Registered
60 Posts
What's the point of mountain biking?

I agree with JP, riding a cyclocross bike on trails is fun and will do a world of good for your bike handling skills. No relying on big tyres and suspension - you need to pick good lines and commit to them. The brakes suck though, so I put a disc up front and now I'm happy!

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
It is just another approach to cycling, and it is a lot older than mountain biking.

Those bikes are not just weight weenie road bikes with rough tyres either. They are built to take some abuse and the rest is up to the rider's skill, as it is in all sorts of cycling.

Also, in many areas, a cyclocross bike is the ideal multipurpose bike (commuting, dirt roads, pavement, trails). It may not be ideal for pavement or rough trails but it still is a do-it-all machine.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
ernesto_from_Wisconsin said:
you should see people's faces when they see me riding the technical stuff at the local trails.
Yeah, I had a guy smoke me at Marquette Mountain not so long ago on a cross bike. Met him briefly at an intersection. He took off ahead of me. Never saw him again; never caught up with him. The guy had skills. And with that lighter bike, he sure could move.

Respect!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Do a cyclocross race on a cyclocross bike, you'll get the point ;). Some people take the same bikes to terrain they are not suited for, just because they can, because they have no other bike, to improve their riding skills or just because of plain masochism.

Most of you guys seem to understand the relevance of singlespeed, so understanding CX is well within reach :p.

Also, <generalization alert> keep in mind that most cyclocross riders are racers, while most 29er riders are recreational riders with beer bellies, in need of extra tire footprint to aid their weight and lack of technical riding skills :D.

OK, I did not mean that last bit ;), but chances are some cyclocross racer is just having a lot of fun on challenging terrain, while some 29er riders are so busy explaining their big wheeled ride is the best tool for the job, they forgot in most cases the biggest difference is in the rider.

·
Now with 20% more fat!!
2,031 Posts
As others have stated, it is a great tool for training in the Winter in places with snow (like here in Colorado)... I use it to ride the road/path to trails that are 15miles away - ride the trails and then ride back home. I also commute on it to work here and there. They really are great all-around bikes and handle most terrain surprisingly well. I also love to mix it up between bikes (full suspension, singlespeed, crossbike) depending on the mood or time constraints I have. They are all fun and challenging in different ways. I think what I'm saying is, "riding bikes is fun - you should try a cx bike!"

JP makes a great magazine. Let's help him get through grad school!

·
Registered
251 Posts
My son rides.. he's only 7.. he can beat the pants off some men on the trails..
Anyways.. one day we saw a cyclo on the trail and he said "what a retard riding a roadie on the trails"

I bet those things are bad ass fast..

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
What's the point of riding a bike? I get on it, I pedal, and eventually end up right back home where I started. Which makes me wonder what's the point of waking up? I just eventually go back to sleep. Which makes me wonder what's ther point of asking exstential quesitons? I just ask more.

·
Registered
251 Posts
shishku said:
Please don't post questions like this. You will regret it when you have more cycling knowledge.
That's a little extreme to say..
Many people wonder about these ho mo looking bikes, pretty acceptable question if you axe me..

·
Administrator
575 Posts
shishku said:
Please don't post questions like this. You will regret it when you have more cycling knowledge.
I thought it was an OK question.

I'm sure there are others wondering the same thing.
Cyclocross racing is somewhat of an outlier in cycling. It's much like triathalons, in that CX exists because of racing. No one I know goes out and swims, then bikes and then runs and just as a hobby without actually being a triathlete.

Few recreational riders decide, "I'm going to ride my bike full throttle in a mile long circuit though this city park in mid-November. I'm going to jump off, hop back on and repeat this for the the next hour."

So I definitely see the "why" aspect.

To learn more check out RBR's CX forum: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47

Also check out the CX Magazine forum at: http://cxmagazine.ning.com/

Cheers,

Josh

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.