Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
artistic...
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
prices are stupid. second hand mtb tires should not cost more than $10. not at ebay.. want a 26.4 post? syncros? sure: $70. well, i don't think so. i rather pay $100 for a custom made seatpost!
i feel like a schmuck when i open the ebay website. i know it's a free market but it's 90% moronity these days.
time to go small classifieds really.

·
just 1 more
1,153 Posts
colker1 said:
prices are stupid. second hand mtb tires should not cost more than $10. not at ebay.. want a 26.4 post? syncros? sure: $70. well, i don't think so. i rather pay $100 for a custom made seatpost!
i feel like a schmuck when i open the ebay website. i know it's a free market but it's 90% moronity these days.
time to go small classifieds really.
Great if yer sellin, sucks if you buyin. As more people get interested in old MTBs prices go up, and the early collectors used to low prices are SOL. Probably a normal course of events. Look at 60s and 70s muscle cars. This is still an inexpensive hobby, even at the high end, relatively speaking.:thumbsup:

·
artistic...
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
azjeff said:
Great if yer sellin, sucks if you buyin. As more people get interested in old MTBs prices go up, and the early collectors used to low prices are SOL. Probably a normal course of events. Look at 60s and 70s muscle cars. This is still an inexpensive hobby, even at the high end, relatively speaking.:thumbsup:
fukeen yuppies.

·
Registered
88 Posts
seems like the deals on ebay just aren't there anymore...if you start price checking mail order is usually your best bet...say like universal cycles. or classified like mtbr or pink bike.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Being a seller on Ebay, I love the yuppies....being a buyer, yeah they suck! And I'm a pre-yuppie, spent my teens in the sixties...and no, I never exhaled!!!

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I've had success with eBay when I sell stuff but I'll go to a flea market or check out a thrift shop for a bike or other related items first.I've found some nice stuff and no snipers too. How are bike swap meets? Are prices reasonable?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Built4Speed said:
I've had success with eBay when I sell stuff but I'll go to a flea market or check out a thrift shop for a bike or other related items first.I've found some nice stuff and no snipers too. How are bike swap meets? Are prices reasonable?
I think swaps are still good. They used to be great. With luck and knowledge they can still work for you. It also helps if you don't have a specific item you are after but just go to see what is at the right price.

·
Exaggerated member
351 Posts
I reckon it's a bit cyclic, sometimes there's little interest in auctions and other times it gets ridiculous.

For the really sought after VRC components there will be always strong demand. For example look at Rumpfy's last auctions with the Paul components derailleurs, the bidding on the rear derailleur went ballistic. Yet the Sultan of Schwag at around the same time had a NOS condition Deore XT FCM-730 crankset+ chainrings that only went for about US$80. As a comparison the Bikeman web site still has NOS FCM-730 Deore XT crankarms only for US$90. So what gives? Especially as these and the Suntour XC-Pro crankarms are some of the best looking and strongest cranks out there, given that they're cold forged.

I'm kicking myself a bit, because just before Christmas on the Australian Ebay site someone had a full NOS Deore XT 732 series group set for sale. Opening bid at AU$500 but there was only one bidder. I think brand new (in 1991?) this group set would have been priced at around AU$1100 so now it is more affordable than it was when it was released. That's the conundrum, for most of us the nice high end components are now more affordable than when they were newly released. Just recently a NOS M-900 XTR crankset went for AU$355 when the buy it now was AU$300. I'm kicking myself again but I didn't really have a use for the crankset (at this stage) and car insurance and registration which is due shortly is AU$550 so it was a matter of priorities. Agreed, it sucks when you're working to a budget and you get out bid on an item but if you've given it you're best attempt you can't do much else. Most likely a month later the same component but in better condition will be listed and you can bid harder that time.

Yes, and it's hard when you're seeking an rarer diameter seatpost. There was such a range of seatpost diameters around the early to mid 1990's too. I have two different seat post diameters for my two bikes.

·
I picked two too many
766 Posts
Exactly as I see it

Boy named SSue said:
I think swaps are still good. They used to be great. With luck and knowledge they can still work for you. It also helps if you don't have a specific item you are after but just go to see what is at the right price.
It's more fun to look at it all . . .

I just don't like the "profiteers" . . . a couple of years ago I had a guy buy some crap road wheels from me, cheap as they should be from my table . . . then he just takes them to his table and sells them for 200% profit . . . at the same swap!

Bad!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
MrOrange said:
It's more fun to look at it all . . .

I just don't like the "profiteers" . . . a couple of years ago I had a guy buy some crap road wheels from me, cheap as they should be from my table . . . then he just takes them to his table and sells them for 200% profit . . . at the same swap!

Bad!
Totally. At the last veloswap SF there was a guy selling some bontrager downtube stickers for $50 or $60. They were the exact same stickers the Trek would ship you for free if you asked as of a year ago. Really ugly color scheme by the way. I have one set but am only holding on to them as a reference for recreations. The guy must have stocked up and was now charging a ridiculous price for them. I think that is the most disgusted I have been.

On the bright side, I did get a set of 180mm syncros revolutions off the guy on the cheap since he thought they were generic BMX cranks. Didn't feel bad at all on that one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.