Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Politically Incorrect
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I rode in the 20th annual White Knob Challenge in my hometown of Mackay, ID. I know this has got to be one of the older mountain bike races in the country, and it's a 'Norba Classic'.
Thinking about the 20 year time span made me curious to know of other 'classic' mtb races out there, and how long they have been around. What are the oldest mtb races you know of?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Shasta Lemurian, Redding ca.

I believe it's been around close to that twenty year mark, although three years ago it moved to French Gulch (few miles away). The promotors took a hiatus this year, but it should be back and running strong next year. Someone like Shiggy or General Coonskins (who grew up in the area) could fill you in on more history of the race.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
IbikeID said:
Last weekend I rode in the 20th annual White Knob Challenge in my hometown of Mackay, ID. I know this has got to be one of the older mountain bike races in the country, and it's a 'Norba Classic'.
Thinking about the 20 year time span made me curious to know of other 'classic' mtb races out there, and how long they have been around. What are the oldest mtb races you know of?
The Mudslinger is Oregon's oldest race. The 18th edition was run this year near Corvallis.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Road Apple it is!

It's where Ned and Tomac got there start, and still typically show up to race in the fall. What I find bizarre, especially as a NM local, is that the city of Farmington is about the most awful dumpy looking place there is, where natural gas is the big thing in town, and hot, dry, windy, and a generally unfriendly feeling are the norm and you'd think it was the last place on earth to ride in/at, let alone race. I'll be there in October at the start line FWIW!

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
I'll be road appling it

glenzx said:
It's where Ned and Tomac got there start, and still typically show up to race in the fall. What I find bizarre, especially as a NM local, is that the city of Farmington is about the most awful dumpy looking place there is, where natural gas is the big thing in town, and hot, dry, windy, and a generally unfriendly feeling are the norm and you'd think it was the last place on earth to ride in/at, let alone race. I'll be there in October at the start line FWIW!
Yup. If you've got an extra day or two, you should ride the Battle of the Badlands course on the other side of Farmington and the Alien Run trail in Aztec. Check with Cottonwood Cycles near the mall for locations.

Velo de Animas is the club in town, and they put some of a series of races I've been doing this summer (http://www.4cornerscup.com)

I've found it really interesting that there is such a cool group of hard core cyclists in such a god-awful town. The guys at cottonwood are some of the coolest bike shop guys I've met. I may be moving close to the NM border soon, and they may become my new bike shop.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
forkboy said:
I've found it really interesting that there is such a cool group of hard core cyclists in such a god-awful town. The guys at cottonwood are some of the coolest bike shop guys I've met. I may be moving close to the NM border soon, and they may become my new bike shop.
I'd heard that, and now feel a little bad at not "qualifying" my negative remarks and all....:eek: Can't be 100% all bad given the mtbiking history, like Artesia or someplace! (JK)

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
glenzx said:
I'd heard that, and now feel a little bad at not "qualifying" my negative remarks and all....:eek: Can't be 100% all bad given the mtbiking history, like Artesia or someplace! (JK)
Oh - you're negative remarks are dead on. It is a miserable place, and pretty much everyone I have met is either unfriendly or downright hostile. I think living there actually causes people to degenerate into a lower life form. I know that when I go down to the mall or Hobby Lobby I come back at least a few IQ points stupider than when I left.

Except for about 20 people.

That leads to a good moral question.

Does cycling make you a better person?

I know that when I am on my bike / at a bike related function I am 10 times friendlier than I am to some schmoe off the street.

·
Registered
542 Posts
farminton is the pits

I also agree farmington is the butt uglyest town I've ever seen. And with people to match (sorry to the few fine folks in farminton) Welcome to NM, I still love it. This should get a response!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
What about the Bidwell Bump in Chico? I think the first race was in '76, but I'm not sure if it has run consecutive years or not.

·
Track Junkie
1,236 Posts
AMike : the Bidwell bump has been taken over by CSU Chico and run every year since Chico Velo has not run it (2000?2001?). However, it has not been offered as a NORBA race every year. If Chico Velo ran it consecutively until 2000, then that makes it nearly 30 years old. Mike Pevey would know more about it's history (@ Cyclesport in Chico).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts