Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, whats the tallest drop you have done?

I did some 5-6 foot drops on the street on a bmx.

·
the wrench
469 Posts
it would have to be 5 to flat. it was meant to be a small stair gap and have the last few steps as a tranny but between my speed and bunnyhop going off i had cleared the steps by about 3 feet. lol

after doing a few drops to flat and tranny i feel no need to do them anymore. the best drops are the one to tow footers that just appear as youre riding some tech singletrack

·
Pocket Pool Savant
634 Posts
8-1/2 ft to flat on BMX

atvsmurf said:

I did it in a show by accident. Rolled off the back of our quarterpipe during a show. Landed it, no bent parts. Not bad for '86.

AJ
:D

·
Registered
512 Posts
Lots of 2's maybe some 3's. Just the XC stuff. I'd try bigger if I had a beefier bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
atvsmurf said:

5 foot on my old Schwinn mesa.

4 foot on my Liquid (but was going a lot faster, around 15mph)

·
Pocket Pool Savant
634 Posts
Sorry, no pics

billybobzia said:
lets see some pics!!!
of my "fall". What was interesting, was that noone watching the show even seemed to see or notice it. My hands/wrists hurt for a few days afterwords, though.

AJ

·
Registered
798 Posts
10-12ft to tranny and 6 flat.... You'd get more interesting responses on the DH board..... of course my bike is made for stuff like this..... Couldnt imagine doing huge drops on a bmx.....Crazyness!

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
+/- 14' to tranny, of course. The pic is of the friend I was with (his photography skills are even worse than mine - so his picture it is...) I'm not sure what practical reason there is for jumping off anything above 5' or so (where are you gonna find stuff like that on the trail?) - but it's always good fun nonetheless.

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
I took my old Huffy off my parents roof when I was 9 yrs. old...8 ft. to flat. I broke the frame and handlebars, but no bones.

The biggest drop I would try now is 2-3 ft. I've grown chicken sh*t in my old age.

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
About the same 5-6 to flat on my xc bike. But that was like 6 years ago. Now the most I'll do is as high as 3 but more like 2 and more likely to have a tranny. Try being smooth :D

·
Unicycles are for clowns
329 Posts
good question

Funny thing is how we perceive the height. I thought I was dropping off 4 ft stuff and my friends were thinking they were hitting 6 ft, until I decided to bring a tape measure and actually measure stuff. That's when heights changed my 4 ft turned out to be just under 3 feet, my friends 6ft turned out to be 4.75 feet. I think many people would be surprised if they measure the height. Our perception is also changed when you hit a jump carrying speed you perceive yourself to be higher than you actually are. You may only need 5ft of height to clear a 15/20 foot gap and not the 10 feet you perceive.

There are guys out there that are dropping big stuff and catching major air, but I am not one of them.

·
Silence! I kill you!
3,049 Posts
I did about a 4 1/2ft drop to flat while in Moab last week. I had a nice little wreck the first time goin off of it, so I got up and landed it the second time. I'll put the pics up tomorow since I don't have them at work today. I'm debating on whether to get a bigger bike or not to do more freeride/downhill type stuff. I guess we'll see what I get back from taxes :D

·
Registered
764 Posts
8.5 - 9 ft to flat when I was a kid. Rode my BMX off a flat roof carport onto the driveway. Rode out of it. No broken anything. No way I'd do that now, except into water.

about 5' to flat on my rigid XC bike (off a loading dock) - broken frame and BB.

I'd go bigger on a bike with suspension. But not to flat.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
So far my biggest is around 7'. Measured by standing at landing point (I'm 6'1") and the lip was about a foot above my head, I would have guessed 8 or 9 feet, though, if I wouldnt' have measured. I just started taking drops and hitting jumps a few months ago, so the distance keeps going up. I sold my XC bike months ago and now only have freeride bikes.

This is why I sold the XC bike...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts