Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a question about the Fox Van R and the Van RC2, besides the difference in price what advantage does one have over the other and, which would make a better heavy duty trail fork? Thanks in advance.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
If you want the additional adjustability of the high and low speed compression, get the RC2, otherwise go for the R. It's a great fork either way.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
The R stand for rebound adjustment, slows the speed of the shock returning after a bounce.

The C stands for compression adjustment, slow the speed of the shock when hitting a bump.

The 2 means you can have 2 settings for compression with a little lever. Put it on and the shock will feel stiff when pedalling so it doesn't bounce up and down.

Put it the other way and the shock will feel bouncy when pedalling.

The low speed compression damping is high to eliminate the slow pedalling bounce.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So would I benifit by swapping a Van R for a Van RC2 for an all mountain bike? Or is there not that big of a difference? If it matters I am putting it on a Yeti ASX.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I'm not sure what Jeffscott is talking about with the little lever thing. My RC2 doesn't have one, didn't see anything about the newer models having a lever either. The RC2 has, in addition to the R's rebound and preload adjusters at the crown, two adjusters at the bottom of the right leg (so not something you can do on the fly), one for low speed compression damping control, the other for high speed compression damping control. I use mine close to factory settings, and play with it a bit depending on the area I'm riding in; most people I've talked to haven't changed from the factory settings much, if at all, so probably the factory setting of the R would suit most. The RC2 also has a bottom out control boost on the 07 models (the 06 does as well, but is an internal rather than external adjustment). I believe the R also has an internal bottom out control, but not positive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.