Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You name the extreme sports event, Red Bull is there in force. BMX, air racing, downhill racing, motocross, surfing, rally racing, surfing, skiing, (although oddly absent from bull fighting), you get the picture. Not to mention damn near every Red Bull I've drank has been free from one of their promotions.

My point being that they must drop a pretty penny on all this advertising, all for their one product (two if you count red bull light), which IMO tastes funny. Are they really seeing that big of a return on this investment to justify the expense put into it?

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Just my opinion:

A) It tastes like crap.
B) It's way overpriced.
C) It contains ingredients that are bad for you.

Therefore, who better to market it to than a group of people that require helmets for recreational events? You aren't gonna sell that crap in the graduate student library, know what I mean?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I love it, but I only drink a can or 2 a month. I know a lot of people that drink it all the time. It probably costs next to nothing to make, so the have lots of money to spend on advertising.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I am also a college graduate and I owe some late nights at the lab to Red Bull. Having gone to UNLV, coffee and 95 degrees never sat well with me so I used Redbull as my pick-me-up.

$2 for 8oz of Redbull (110 calories)
$4 for 16oz of Starbucks Mocha (290 calories)

Hmmm...Redbull doesn't seem so bad now, and I like the taste

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
redbull is WAY overpriced...i think i've bought a total of 6 redbulls ever...2 separately, and the other 4 was an on-sale 4 pack

but they do have cool helmets for all their sponsored athletes :)

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
"The first one's free."

Red Bull approached the NorCal High school League. Their interest was to get the product in the kids bellies and build the market. That is what the cigarette manufacturers did for GIs in WWll; hook 'em and cook 'em. It works. The curiosity is that they promote this product to a market of athletes concerned with health and performance and they buy in for the cheap performance boost and the identification with aggression.

We turned them down.

I'm going to have a bit more coffee and get back to work.;)

·
sgabyenom e
71 Posts
OP's question is a good one: Are they getting a decent ROI on their marketing? However, as many marketing folks will tell you, measuring ROI on marketing/advertising is virtually impossible!

As already mentioned, they've probably got quite a bit of cash lying around for supporting their obviously huge M&A budget!

I've had em before, but never got hooked. I don't think the stuff that's in it is really great for you(?).

·
Hoosier
442 Posts
To the OP...of course its worth it. They have a very strong brand and want to fight hard to keep it. Have you ever noticed when you think of Red Bull you immediately think of extreme sports, race cars etc.? They do a lot of smaller sports and events which will save them money. (Advertising in the MLS or X games is a lot cheaper than NFL) and since they have virtually the same marketing strategy since the company's beginning I would assume their ROI is strong enough for them.

·
Registered
549 Posts
At either side of $32/gallon, Red Bull doesn't have to worry about profit margins. The thing that stokes me about Red Bull is the fact that they support the very "image" they've created. Red Bull Downtown through the streets of Lisbon, Red Bull Silver Buckle (ski-event), the Rampage-series. . . . Monster Energy gives some support; Jeep gives back a little; maybe Nissan with the Quashquai-series in Europe. If I'm looking for a "pick-me-up", I'll shell out for a Red Bull first. Then again, nothing beats self-made ice-coffee.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
i like red bull, but i dont drink a ton of it. its good with jagermiester or just for a pick me up once in a while. i think its great they sponsor so many events/contests

nothing in it is really bad for you, the main pick me up ingredients come from the B vitamins and caffeine in there, and for the 8.3oz er there isnt that much caffeine (about the same as a 12 oz can of mt dew or regular cup of coffee). People run into problems (caffeine jitters/tremors and or heart failure) because they get the 16 or 24 ounce tall boys, slam them, then do some rigorous activity...

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
davis said:
You aren't gonna sell that crap in the graduate student library, know what I mean?
Funny story:

While an undergrad I was doing some research for a paper on aerodynamics. I came across a "book" titled "The Theory of Flight" in the science library. I pulled it off the shelf, opened the cover, and found two cans of Red Bull. The library claimed it wasn't theirs, so I took it home.

Weird :shocked:

·
Seeeriously easy Livin
1,863 Posts
I don't drink the stuff, I too cheap, and I have bike parts to buy, but I do apreciate all the dollars they poor into our sport, they sponsor some awesome events and riders, I get the feeling that some of the money they give to extreme sports goes beyond advertising, and that there are some pretty cool guys sittting at the top of that company, just look at the redbull flugtag for proof. I'll grab a redbull of the shelf long before I reach for a rockstar.

·
Registered
702 Posts
red bull

General Hickey said:
You name the extreme sports event, Red Bull is there in force. BMX, air racing, downhill racing, motocross, surfing, rally racing, surfing, skiing, (although oddly absent from bull fighting), you get the picture. Not to mention damn near every Red Bull I've drank has been free from one of their promotions.

My point being that they must drop a pretty penny on all this advertising, all for their one product (two if you count red bull light), which IMO tastes funny. Are they really seeing that big of a return on this investment to justify the expense put into it?
You left out Formula 1 racing which they maybe spend more on than everything else combined!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
bholwell said:
Funny story:

While an undergrad I was doing some research for a paper on aerodynamics. I came across a "book" titled "The Theory of Flight" in the science library. I pulled it off the shelf, opened the cover, and found two cans of Red Bull. The library claimed it wasn't theirs, so I took it home.

Weird :shocked:
That's pretty funny, guess it does give you wings. :D
I've taken a red-bull before a crit, think it helped. ;) Actually I like Mt Dew's Amp much more.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.