Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Autonomous
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While building up my 1x11 conversion, I'm deciding on chains. Also trying to "stay with what the mfg. recommends" to eliminate any possible future issues (don't judge me lol).
Got Shimano's M5100 11-51 cassette & their M5100 sgs derailleur. Of course they specify their directional HG701 XT chain "for best performance", but is that just marketing hype or some true advantage? It's on a non-boost FS bike if that matters (Santa Cruz Solo C, V1).
I know lots of you are running Sram, Shimano or KMC chains, so y'all have any input?
I've run KMC for ages, but would rather not introduce any "non-stock" variables into this conversion.

Thanks!

· Registered
998 Posts
Shimano definitely shifts a little bit slicker with a proper HG whatever directional chain. Broke a chain a while back, some SRAM equivalent was the only thing I could get at the time, and the shifting definitely suffered. Enough that I tracked down the proper Shimano chain, and got rid of the SRAM. It was just that much slicker, precise and smoother. Stick with a single brand for best performance.

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,165 Posts
Whoa. I run SRAM or KMC chains on my Shimano drivetrains all the time and don't feel like I suffer. But then I haven't bought a Shimano chain in like, 20 years... maybe more. Ever since Shimano went to their stupid break-off pin system, that's when I revolted against their chains. Maybe I should try one now that they finally introduced a quick link. Meanwhile I have zero complaints about how my bikes (all with Shimano drivetrains) shift with competitor's chains.
=sParty

· Autonomous
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have zero complaints about how my bikes (all with Shimano drivetrains) shift with competitor's chains.
=sParty
Thanks for the input sParty!
I have run only KMC on my all Shimano drivetrain bikes as well & nary an issue. Honestly, I'd like stay with KMC (that gold bling!), but as this is a 2x to 1x conversion I'm trying to eliminate any possible compatibility issues. Yeah, I know I'm being waaaay overly cautious.

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,165 Posts
Thanks for the input sParty!
I have run only KMC on my all Shimano drivetrain bikes as well & nary an issue. Honestly, I'd like stay with KMC (that gold bling!), but as this is a 2x to 1x conversion I'm trying to eliminate any possible compatibility issues. Yeah, I know I'm being waaaay overly cautious.
Please report your findings here. If there's a significant improvement in shifting performance with a Shimano chain, then I'll make the investment, too.
=sParty

· Registered
998 Posts
Whoa. I run SRAM or KMC chains on my Shimano drivetrains all the time and don't feel like I suffer. But then I haven't bought a Shimano chain in like, 20 years... maybe more. Ever since Shimano went to their stupid break-off pin system, that's when I revolted against their chains. Maybe I should try one now that they finally introduced a quick link. Meanwhile I have zero complaints about how my bikes (all with Shimano drivetrains) shift with competitor's chains.
=sParty
Of course technology hasn't moved on in 20 years. Send to be a common theme in your posts.

· Registered
3,557 Posts
=sParty
Genuinely curious where the hate for a [stronger than a quick link] pin comes from? Is it because snapping off a pilot couldn't possibly be high tech enough (Campy uses a removable one that fails on installation enough to question your mechanical abilities)? The perceived money-grubbing (you aren't supposed to re-use 10+ SRAM links anyway)?

You already need a chain tool to size your chain, so it couldn't be that.

Not directed at you, just curious, is all.

· Cycologist
16,945 Posts
Of course technology hasn't moved on in 20 years. Send to be a common theme in your posts.
lol, says the guy with "I like front derailleurs" as a signature; meanwhile the guy you're speaking of is known to despise front derailleurs.

Just an observation. :D

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,165 Posts
can't say I ever had a notable problem with failures of either pins or quick links. but installation of pins is notably more of an irritation. not that quick links are irritation-free. just that they're less of an irritation.
Harold nailed it.
=s

· Cycologist
16,945 Posts
Absolutely. Because front derailleurs couldn't possibly have moved forwards in tech either, could they? 🤣
I guess I missed the great leap forward in front derailleur technology. Wait a minute, I though the great leap forward in front derailleur technology was not to have a front derailleur.
Btw, I still have a front derailleur on one of my bikes (or lots of my bikes if you count the non-mtbers).
Front derailleur.

· Registered
998 Posts
I guess I missed the great leap forward in front derailleur technology. Wait a minute, I though the great leap forward in front derailleur technology was not to have a front derailleur.
Btw, I still have a front derailleur on one of my bikes (or lots of my bikes if you count the non-mtbers).
Front derailleur.
Have you tried the new side swing FD? It really is a revelation.

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,165 Posts
Front defailure

Having two shifters on your bike is as convenient as having two gear shifters in your manual transmission car.

Why not have three?

The front defailure’s mediocre shifting is but one of its problems. Inconvenient operation is another. Making room for such an arcane, class B contraption on a frame that includes wide tires & suspension is another. The list goes on.

Use one of you want. Not me.

I might try a directional chain, tho. They don’t sound bad.
=sParty

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.