Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know alot about companies like trek giant and specialized. I need to know how models in the cannondale line compare to the models of Trek and Specialized. For example does the F3 compare to the 4300? Can someone clarify their likes and differences

·
493 Posts
Specs on the bikes?

For whats it worth... when I bought my bike I rode a bunch of different models - Trek, GF, Spec, Jamis, Giant, and Cannondale. I ended up going over budget and buying an F4 because I liked the way it fit and felt while riding. The headshok was a factor in that decision too, I liked how that felt while test riding. My 2nd choice would have been the Trek 4500. I think in that price range, they are all good bikes. It just becomes a matter of personal preference as it relates to bike fit and comfort while riding.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
It's a balancing act. The Caffeine frames are great handling, but the components are middle to low end. Yet the headsok is every bit as good as a Fox f100. But you sort of have to buy into the headshok/ Lefty platform to get the full advantage compared to the other manufacturers.

I have a Lefty on my FS bike and it is great. Just limits where you can get spare parts and service. Fortunately my LBS owner loves Lefty/Headshok and is quite good at servicing it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, i want to see this report. I am just wondering because a rockerhopper is comparable to a 4500. What is cannondale is comparable to those?

·
Registered
109 Posts
kace kool said:
OK, i want to see this report. I am just wondering because a rockerhopper is comparable to a 4500. What is cannondale is comparable to those?
Not certain if I agree with the first assumption as Trek is typically over-priced compared to the competition - even it's sister company, Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc at the same price. The 4500 doesn't even have disc brakes, and assuming the non-disc Rockhopper in your comparison. At the same pricepoint, Cdale doesn't make a non-disc bike and rough equivalent would be the F7. You have to drop down to a F9 for a non-disc Cdale, which better compares with the Hardrock or Trek 3900.

...also, strongly suspect being cynical about the 47 page report. Your initial sentence comparing a 4300 with an F3 - they are polar oppsites. Go to the websites of an LBS near you that carries those brands. Would say the manufacturers web sites, but Cdale doesn't list MSRP - so you need to find an LBS site (dealer search).

·
493 Posts
The Cannondale site actually does have an MSRP for the F3. $1399. Compared with the Trek 4500 which Konabikes has for $630 brand new and you have quite the difference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
One thing to note is that Cannondale is now owned by Doral/Pacific Cycle. This is the same company that owns and manufactures Schwinn, Mongoose and GT. I'm uncertain if they still build their bikes in the US and/or how distinct they are from their other Brands.

It's a shame, but there's been a lot of consolidation in the cycling industry over the past few years.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Well, in terms of F5 vs RH Comp Disc, the prices are really close. $750 (REI) vs $770 (MSRP).

The F5 has the nod with X5/X7 components vs X4/X5 (and 27 vs 24 spd). Both have Dart 3 100mm fork and Mech BB5 brakes.

They line up pretty closely. Probably whichever fits you best. Or LBS you like or the color...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Cdale offers a pretty good value for the money IMHO, the frames being built in America at least the upper end bikes is a nice bonus.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
EHCRain said:
Cdale offers a pretty good value for the money IMHO, the frames being built in America at least the upper end bikes is a nice bonus.
The F2 and F3 are made in USA. The lesser models like the F5 are not.

But yeah, at that price point, I would seriously consider the F5 for the 27spd drivetrain.

·
Registered
109 Posts
kace kool said:
Ok, well in your guys opinion which company is the most "down home" "made in america" company?
Ignoring small boutique/custom, among larger production would be limited to Cannondale and Trek. I don't think Specialized EVER "made in America" as it started by importing hard to find parts, then built it's first bike, the Stumpjumper. Don't know the original origin, but two years later Merida (Tiawan) bought 49% of the company, and the are a major frame builder. Specialized is an American company that imports the manufactured parts and at most assembles (or final assembles) in America. There is a whole list of companies that would fall under that business plan. Like Cannondale and others, they have a high level of quality control of the imported parts.

I was ready to pull the trigger on an F5, but I found a better deal. A July 3 email "like to know that we have shipped order" and I anxiously await. 2008 Jamis Dakota Sport with better components - RS Tora 302 (nor Dart3), Shimano Deore hydraulic brakes (not RR5 mechanical) amd Deore/XT components (vs X5/X7 - Cdales is close, X4/X5 -Spec forget about it). Drum roll please...$699. Plus, they ship where Cdale and Specialized require that you go to the store. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI290A00-Jamis+Dakota+Sport+Bike+2008.aspx I think the specs are better on the 2008 model compared to the 2009 model where it appears they downgraded the brakes to Tekro hydraulics.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
very nice. see the thing is, all the bike store's round here only seem to sell the big three. Fisher, Trek and specialized with a giant here and there...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts