Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to get some one from the BIKEROOM on the phone:confused: . Has anyone had any problems dealing with this web retailer . Is it a bad idea to deal with this website :eek: or is it just a website that does not take calls.:madman:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Phone or e-mail, be patient, they will get back to you. I've delt with David since he started his business(6 or 7 years now). He's always made things right, and then some:thumbsup: . Also, unless somethings are in stock, it can take a couple weeks to fill the order. The wait is sometimes the price you pay, for the good deals.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I recently placed an order with them. They never returned any of the phone messages I left but eventually I was able to get hold of someone by phone and my order did eventually arrive (for some reasons I think my order was forgotten about as it was sent 2 day express after I called at no additional charge). Their customer service needs work but I would probably order from them again given the great deals. Be patient.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
slayer 50 said:
I can't seem to get some one from the BIKEROOM on the phone:confused: . Has anyone had any problems dealing with this web retailer . Is it a bad idea to deal with this website :eek: or is it just a website that does not take calls.:madman:
Mixed reviews - do a search.

·
X-Ray Guy
363 Posts
Yeh you will find alot of ppl posting they've had problems which is obvious. You'll get more complaints then praise online about bikeroom. What ive noticed is that "most" of the problems were with larger orders. Ive always ordered 2-4 items at a time with no difficulties. I just recommend paying with credit card incase there is a dispuit you can decline payment.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
i'm always amazed at the number of people who post threads like this without bothering to use the search function FIRST.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorry guys , I dont normally slam a biz , but BIKEROOM is a very Unprofessional biz . Communication is very poor to non-exsistant . I would love to be shopping Canadian web stores for bike parts , but BIKEROOM has let me down far too much to ever give them my biz again . It is a shame that some people want to run a biz so poorly . I have friends iswell that have had similar problems as I have .
I wont plug the USA online bike shops but PP is shipping with DHL , and that cuts down on your import fees and brokerage fees drastically . Plus you dont pay sales tax on their end . Ive done the math = drastically cheaper . On the old LBS debate .... well ... I build my bikes from the ground up . This winter im completing two builds , a XC hard tail and a fr/dh bike . I have spent around $2,000 online with Price point and jenson and have built up two full bikes ( I had the FR/DH frame already , so two full bike minus a frame ) with top notch parts , wheel set and forks . Sorry guys there is no way I could walk into a bike store in Toronto with my shopping list and walk out with all the parts I need first of all . Plus it would be not even worth doing with the costs that the LBS charge for parts up here in Canada .
ie: sram X.0 rear 9spd drlr
USA = $160 uds
Canada = $ 300 cnd

cheers

·
Registered
103 Posts
jeffscott said:
I got my order great just before Christmas, then he double billed me and added $3,000 to the VISA statement, and is not returning calls??
Dude
Just call up VISA explain that they are not getting back in contact with you and Visa (or MC or what ever card you paid with ) will take care of it . They will set up a dispute account for you and investigate . You will get a refund from Visa in a few days . I think Visa is getting to know Bikeroom buy now .
Shame on you BIKEROOM
:madmax:

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
DeeEight said:
i'm always amazed at the number of people who post threads like this without bothering to use the search function FIRST.
I guess it is easy to get excited about a deal, and click the button.

I have heard enough bad stories about bikeroom to prevent me from ever ordering from them.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
spyder56 said:
Dude
Just call up VISA explain that they are not getting back in contact with you and Visa (or MC or what ever card you paid with ) will take care of it . They will set up a dispute account for you and investigate . You will get a refund from Visa in a few days . I think Visa is getting to know Bikeroom buy now .
Shame on you BIKEROOM
:madmax:
VISA deal:

Call up, complain, they say call bikeroom and complain, do so and no answer.

VISA says okay don't pay disputed amount but pay the rest of the bill. okay.

VISA holds distputed costs in suspense for 40 days then makes decision.

I will be pissed if it costs me anything.

As above goods shipped promptly and correctly. Billing gone bad, no return call.

Really quite simple.

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
It is getting worse...

with the deals on complete bikes that Ibex and bikesdirect have the Cdn LBS' have to do something. I really think the distributors are making all of the cash, personally, I don't think LBS' are gougers. However, with people already buying their parts online, the local Bike Shop is being threatened by American mail order.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Import fees

How do the duty & import fees work over in Canada?

We're in a similar situation in Australia but the freights costs from US sometimes use up all the price advantage. I was thinking about getting some parts delivered to my in-laws in Canada that I'll pick up when I visit them in a few months, but I'm worried about them getting slugged with a bill for import.

Jonathan

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
On import you only pay 6% GST (fed tax), US exchange and PST (provincial tax - but only in some provinces, not Alberta, the Yukon, NWT, Nunavat, and bikes/bike parts are PST exempt in BC).

So if your relatives live in BC or Alberta, they're only paying 6% GST + about 16-18% US exchange + brokerage fee which is $8 flat rate by Canada Post/Canada Customs. In other provinces the provincial tax might range from 5% to 10%...

http://www.taxtips.ca/provincial_sales_tax.htm#ProvincialPSTRates

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
That's for importing from the usa... not from other countries. The USA is covered under the north american free trade agreement, but taiwan and china aren't (go figure) and still have import duties slapped on their cycling related products. Everytime someone complains about US prices being majorless less than canadian, they always seem to forget different countries have different taxes/import duties. The USA gives taiwan much better import rates, and heck china too than Canada does. And then americans wonder why they're losing jobs to taiwan and china and other countries. Well DUH... if its cheaper to have it made there and import it....

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
planetjag said:
How do the duty & import fees work over in Canada?

We're in a similar situation in Australia but the freights costs from US sometimes use up all the price advantage. I was thinking about getting some parts delivered to my in-laws in Canada that I'll pick up when I visit them in a few months, but I'm worried about them getting slugged with a bill for import.

Jonathan
depending on where the order originates.
if you are ordering from the slugs at misfit psycles you will have to pay GST b/c it is shipping within Canada. of course you can apply for a gst credit once you leave...no duty or other penalties.

if you are ordering parts from the US, have them ship early and by USPS (it will take a good long time). You will be fine if they declare the items 'bicycle parts' and the value is below 200$CDN (me thinks). you will pay only the gst. again you can claim it back. if you start ordering in the thousands brokerage costs will be incurred and duty MAY be charged. DUTY ON BICYCLE PARTS is unpredictable at best, while the rate for Taiwan and China is 'fixed' the consistancy to which it is imposed varies.
now clothing (cycling or not) is expensive to import, avoid this and buy it at shoppes in NS if you can.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback guys. Here in Australia, if the value is under $500 you get charged no duty or import fees. I have a feeling it might have even been raised to $1000. Of course you've already been slugged huge freight costs to get it accross the Pacific. Given the unknowns and the need to ask my rels to fork over money it might be simpler to give the mail order a miss while I'm in Canada.

Turns out my wife will be travelling through England & we'll both be spending some time in Seattle and/or San Francisco, so I might try to organise my cheap parts in those places.

Thanks again.

Jonathan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.