Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an article on 29ers' the other day are they better for bigger people. Are the welds better? What are the major differences between ZR 9000 and regular butted alum.? Is the GF Paragon a good buy? This is the the message From last night I still can't get answers to:

whats up people? I am planning to buy a bike soon and have a few questions. first of all, I'm 6'1 260. I have heard that Gary Fisher makes excellent bikes. Made mostly for taller people. I know ideally MTB aren't made for guys as big as I am, but looking at getting the Hoo KOO e Koo or Tass. Which do you suggest? Are they built as solid, if not more than Specialized bikes? I am particularly interested in a frame I can build off of later down the line.Because of my size should I get a bigger (19 inch or 21 inch) bike? I will basically riding on the streets and some trails, but may go further. Thanks for the help.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
a 29"er could do very well for you. Most definitely check out the Niner forum. Its not about the construction of the bike. All bikes above $500 are 'good' bikes IMO. The determining factor in what you buy should be how the bike fits you first and foremost, and then how you plan on riding the bike. For instance, a 29" is not a freeride bike, though it can handle 2-3' drops w/o worry. I started on my 29" at 240(down to 215 now), so there's no worry about whether or not it'll be able to 'handle' your girth.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
non-technical cruisers

29'er are very much like cycle cross or road bikes with riser bars and fatter tires. Good for smooth to moderately bumpy trails. They are more cruiser riding oriented than a real versatile 26 inch mountain bike.

Not very nimble compared to 26 inch wheeled mountain bikes even for larger riders. Stand over is poor and they are heavier and slower handling and don't grip nearly as well in corners as 26 inch bikes with the same tire design.

That said I'd like one with a rigid fork for a retro like easy trail rider and townie styling.

- ray

·
SNGLSPD
1,058 Posts
fighting words

derby said:
29'er are very much like cycle cross or road bikes with riser bars and fatter tires. Good for smooth to moderately bumpy trails. They are more cruiser riding oriented than a real versatile 26 inch mountain bike.

Not very nimble compared to 26 inch wheeled mountain bikes even for larger riders. Stand over is poor and they are heavier and slower handling and don't grip nearly as well in corners as 26 inch bikes with the same tire design.
but I will leave the arguing for some other E-itiot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.