Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in researching the R.I.P.9 I have read several times in peoples reviews of their own personal bikes and now also in the MTBR 29er shootout that the frame pivot points need to be lubed to make the suspension system work right - What's up with that? Am I completely wrong here and have miss-read what I thought I read? :confused: Just a little concerned is all and something that has popped up too many times to be coincidental and needs addressing by the manufacturer.

Also I browsed over their site and there's nothing concerning warranty of their bikes - What's the warranty on them???

Also the pivots contain what type of bearings of interface, Raced, Full Compliment, Bushings? I'm just leary of being the 1st production year guinea pig again for stuff that needed ironing out before a bike was put into production is all - i.e. GIANT using raced bearings in the 1st year Maestro bikes, that totally crapped out in now time at all.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
I have not had issues with the pivots on my RIP, other than one bolt working it's was loose. Then again, I'm not overly sensitive to all sorts of minutia - I just ride.

But I am thinking of pulling all the pivot bolts out and lubing them just for sh*ts, and to say I did it. I am happy with the feel as-is, though.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
It's a very well thought out design...

....with sealed cartridge bearings. In speaking with Chris at last years Sea Otter, he briefly explained their method of construction and bearing pre-load. So, before pulling yours apart, call Niner and ask for the torque specs of every bolt.

- In my prof. exp., using "lube" is not going to do anything but make dirt/dust cling to the pivot area and then cause you real problems. So, when my RIP gets here I'm pulling it apart, using Permatex anti-seize on the pivot shafts, then using Loctite on the bolts followed by using a torque wrench to set everything to spec. This process has worked on the hundreds of Blurs my shop has sold and serviced over the years, so it should be no different with the RIP. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only ask after reading comments like the ones below..............

Francois MTBR 29er Shoot Out said:
Our test bike had a couple of bugs that might have held it back in the big test day. First, it had a heavy 28" flat bar. This was the widest, heaviest bar in the lot and the test riders were not used to it. The other issue is the pivots seemed very tight and needed to be broken in. On my first five rides, the rebound on the rear travel seemed slow and I always found myself trying to speed up the damping of the RP23. Not an easy task when the shock was already on the fastest setting. Finally, I oiled all the pivots and the suspension moved a little more freely. The ride appeared a little more responsive and lively after that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.