Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about trying a 29" bike for xc race training. It could be SS or 9spd; doesn't matter. I just want a cheap entry to a complete bike to try out if 29er is for me. Suspension fork is preferable though.

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
For a suspension fork bike, especially in Europe some cheap options exist. I won't go there now.

You could look into the Fisher Cobia that shares the more expensive bikes' frame, and the RockShox Tora shares the Reba's internals. $900 retail I think. SS there is the Fisher Rig, a bit more expensive, but with Reba.

Rigid, there is the On-One Inbred bike, 500GBP. And soon (march) the Redline Monocog 29". Steel singlespeed with disc-ready wheels, frame and fork. $450. Suspension units to be found for relatively cheap. Unused Reba's run $300 right now in the classifieds I think. Tora's should become available ca $200.

·
Registered
14 Posts
European options

Cloxxki said:
For a suspension fork bike, especially in Europe some cheap options exist. I won't go there now.
As I live in Europe could you expand on your quote Cloxxki? I'm very interested to know what's available here.

Sorry for digging up an old thread but it saves me from duplicating it.

I've been lurking for a while and have decided to go for a 29er this year, ideally a steel hardtail with gears. I've been looking into what my options are and nothing off the shelf seems to fit the bill.

Otheriwise I'm thinking GF Cobia/X-Caliber/Paragon- how nice are these rides? Any problems with them? Are the aluminium frame's harsher riding characteristics reduced by the bigger wheels? Any idea how much I can expect to pay for any of these 3 bikes in the UK, information on them is seriously lacking.

I like the look of the Inbred 29er too, mainly as it's steel, but that would surely work out expensive when factoring in the sus fork, discs and geared setup.... aargh, confused as to what to do!

Any ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
981 Posts
Mac Adam said:
...GF Cobia/X-Caliber/Paragon... Any problems with them?
The Fisher hardtail frames have seat tubes that extends very tall above the top tube junction. To be on the safe side, it's wise to make sure your seatpost is inserted deep enough so it your entire weight is not supported by the that extended section of the seat tube above the TT. Otherwise, it may lead to a crack at that junction. Other bike builders with such an extended tube have gussetted or welded diagonal support tubes, like Ventana's 29er hardtail and Salsa's Dos Niner softtail.

It's not a widespread problem (I know several happy Fisher riders), but something you might want to read up on since you are weighing all the factors.

There is a post here about it:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=147020&highlight=cracked+paragon

·
Registered
702 Posts
Mac Adam said:
As I live in Europe could you expand on your quote Cloxxki? I'm very interested to know what's available here.

Sorry for digging up an old thread but it saves me from duplicating it.

I've been lurking for a while and have decided to go for a 29er this year, ideally a steel hardtail with gears. I've been looking into what my options are and nothing off the shelf seems to fit the bill.

Otheriwise I'm thinking GF Cobia/X-Caliber/Paragon- how nice are these rides? Any problems with them? Are the aluminium frame's harsher riding characteristics reduced by the bigger wheels? Any idea how much I can expect to pay for any of these 3 bikes in the UK, information on them is seriously lacking.

I like the look of the Inbred 29er too, mainly as it's steel, but that would surely work out expensive when factoring in the sus fork, discs and geared setup.... aargh, confused as to what to do!

Any ideas? :confused:
I'd say try the inbred rigid first, then if you feel you need suspension upgrade later. You can pull the drivetrain off your 26er, you won't be riding it much once you try a 29er anyway. You can get Avid BB7 disc brakes cheap from Chain Reaction and use your existing V brake levers.

·
Registered
310 Posts
You could buy one of the NYCBikes Uberurban for $50 (off of ebay), and a dimension disc 26" suspension corrected fork for about the same, put 'em together = cheap 29er (if you've got the other parts).
-Sean

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks

At this stage everyone's input is really helpful, cheers.

I think I'm going to try and test ride the Gary Fishers, then look into the other options. I'm not closed to the idea of getting an Inbred but the GFs are closer to what I'm actually looking for- ie sus fork, gears and discs.

Thanks for the tip about the seat tubes, very interesting. I don't think that will be a problem in my case though as I only weigh 160lbs, but it is something to be aware of. I will read into it regardless, thanks.

I guess it all boils down to how much the Fishers cost compared to an Inbred with a few personal tweaks then..? Or is there another option I should be aware of...? Anything else out there I should look in to?

(I'd rather buy a half decent off-the-shelf bike (up to £1200 or thereabouts) than build my own. Whenever I spec own builds they end up costing £2000+ and I can't afford that at the moment... )

Thanks again wise friends :)

·
Registered
981 Posts
The Fishers are hard to beat price wise for brand new spanking bike out the door.

Their frames also offer more standover clearance than other 29ers. And, their downtubes clear the Reba adjustment knobs, even with the taller Floodgate dial.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.