Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Performance has been advertising a Manitou Black Platinum Suspension Fork with IT Switch for $280 forÂ*a while, and it seems too good to be true. Is this an older model or something? I'm a 170lb xc rider, and thinking about upgrading from a Rock Shox Pilot. Would this be a good upgrade for me? It's a ton lighter than my Pilot, but willÂ*it hold up to my relatively heavy weight?Â* They also list a Manitou Skareb Super Suspension Fork for the same price. Is this even a better deal?

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
The Black is a good fork, it's been around for a while and has shown great reliability, but because it has been around a while, it has lost it's bling factor. Also Manitou has newer offerings so the price is down.

If you are a racer, maybe SPV platform damping may be better for you, some Blacks have it some don't. The ones that don't most likely have TPC damping which is great on the downhill and at speed but pretty bouncy for out of saddle hammering. Maybe the IT will help you there.

Also the Black has 30mm stantions, while the Skareb has 28mm, so the Black will be stiffer.

Performace had a Manitou Mitute 3 (w/IT & SPV) for $330 recently. For $50 extra bones, you would probably be a faster racer with the SPV.

Mr. P

·
Registered
104 Posts
Man, I was drooling over that fork for awhile, but I didn't want to do the disc conversion, so I went with the Skareb. I'm about your weight and ride pretty aggressive XC, and the Skareb has felt awesome. (By the way, only call 170 relatively heavy if you are a chick.) I think the Black got a bad reputation based on some older models, but this version has the same internals as the Skareb which people love. For the same price, I think the Black is a no brainer if you already have discs.

Cons
Disc only
Heavier (~1/4 lb)

Pros
20 mm more travel
Completely adjustable travel
Stiffer (Manitou quit making the Skareb because it was too flexy - I haven't noticed this at all, though)
Top mounted lockout (the remote mounted lockout on the Skareb is TERRIBLE - see my other thread)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good Advice

FixThatBike said:
Man, I was drooling over that fork for awhile, but I didn't want to do the disc conversion, so I went with the Skareb.

I don't want to do disc breaks right now either. Maybe the Skareb would work for me also. It is even lighter also. It's a full pound lighter than my Pilot. I really like the idea of having a lockout, but it dosen't need to be remote. I generally know well in advance if I am going to want to lock out the suspension, like if I'm riding on the road or have a really tough climb ahead. As long as it's as easy as fliping a switch on the fork.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

(By the way, only call 170 relatively heavy if you are a chick.)

Thanks for the validation. My LBS almost gave me a complex about my weight when I asked them about getting a lighter weight fork. I'm pretty new to the sport, and I always thought anything under 200 lbs was light, so I was a litle surprised when my LBS said I was a fairly heavy rider.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Chad nailed the "catch"

chad1433 said:
Manitou hasn't had the greatest rep. for reliability.
The price is excellent, and the Black a good fork "IF" you get one that's reliable. they have historically been hit or miss. I like the Marz MX Pro recommendation (about $250) and certainly if you can afford it, the RS Reba is getting very good reviews. Granted RS has not had the best reputation, but from all accounts, they hit it dead on with the Reba.

Best Wishes in finding a suitable fork.

Bob

·
EDR
10,430 Posts
byrddog33 said:
(By the way, only call 170 relatively heavy if you are a chick.)

Thanks for the validation. My LBS almost gave me a complex about my weight when I asked them about getting a lighter weight fork. I'm pretty new to the sport, and I always thought anything under 200 lbs was light, so I was a litle surprised when my LBS said I was a fairly heavy rider.
He meant..."You are a fairly heavy European rider". haha.

I have a Zoke MX...best part about it besides the eta is thats its bombproof. Much better rep than the Mannytwo. Just something to think about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.