Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together my dream spec for an '08 or '09 575 this fall. I'll be going with the Race or Race 20 build with just a few changes. I need some input on wheels because that's one component I don't know much about.
My questions are:
For those of you who are riding them, what's the verdict on the DT 540's that come with the Race build? Are they strong, stiff, durable? Do they "feel" light and quick?

I read about the combo of Hope Pro II hubs with DT 5.1 rims on mtbr alot. Is this a significantly better setup?
Does anyone know the cost of this complete wheelset?

My lbs will have no problem customizing the bike for me, but of course, the upgrades cost $$ and I want to stay in a similar price range to the DT 540's. DT's website lists this wheelset (special for yetis) at $460. So I'd like to work with a price within $100 of this.

What do you guys think. Are the 540s great wheels for the money or could I get something significantly stronger, stiffer, lighter, better for just a little more?

Thanks in advance.
I can't wait to join the tribe!

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
I really like the 540's. They convert to tubeless with a Stans Rimstrip and then work really well with UST tires, which is a nice bonus IMHO.

Hope Pro II's are works of art but personally I'd build with a 819 over a 5.1 if I was going to go this route.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Got XT M775's, the 776 has the 20mm thro axel I believe.

Run them tubeless as they are UST, they are centre lock however. I do like
centre lock but it restricts on rotor choice unless you buy the centre lock -> bolt
adaptors which adds some weight.

Pretty neutral on them - not had any issues running them on another bike but personally
i'm considering a lighter wheelset as my 575 is a tad heavier than I would like.

Must say I do like tubeless, would get puctures regular due to the terrain in my area
since I got this wheelset i've never had one (got some no tubes soln in aswell). One thing is the XT wheelset doesn't come with removable cores on the valves so ideally add on £5 per wheel for valves with removable cores.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
swade said:
I read about the combo of Hope Pro II hubs with DT 5.1 rims on mtbr alot. Is this a significantly better setup?
Does anyone know the cost of this complete wheelset?
So long as you like noisy hubs, the Pro IIs should be fine. If you don't like a noisy ride, avoid them. They seem to be the loudest hubs in production.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was considering a similar wheelset build (5.1 and Pro II's), but my LBS convinced me to go with the DT 4.1d's which are a fair bit lighter and more suited to my type of riding (more XC with small jumps/drops).

But yeah as the others said, if you like loud hubs, get the PRO II's they are loud as hell.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the heads up guys. I didn't know the Hopes were a loud hub. I've got Profile hubs and ACS claws freewheel on my BMX bike so I know the loud clicking sound your talking about....I don't want that on my Mountain Bike.

your wheelset choice depends on how you plan on riding your 575 (and your fork of choice)...

My fork choice will either be the 09 32 Talas 150QR or the 36 Talas. My riding style is just shredding anything in front of me. Some days I ride fast XC, some days I'll hit jumps, then turn around and hit em' a dozen more times. Overall I'm right in the middle between free ride and xc racing, All Mountain I guess. That's kinda why the 5.1's caught my eye. The split the middle between the 4.1 xc rims and the 6.1 freeride rims.

All that being said, I'm not a weight weenie, but I'm not dumb. If I can get the same strength, performance and durability out of two different options, but one is quite a bit lighter - I'd prefer the lighter.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
CK and Mavic 819 rims

Me and my crew all run Chris King hubs on 819 rims or Stan's Flows and none of us have ever had a single problem with this set up for 7+ years of riding. We have seen or used other hubs that all blow in one form or another. Hadley/Shimano (older version) /Magura/ Azonic all have failed. Even the highly touted I9's have had a hub shell crack in half. But ZERO failures of CK for a combined use of 35 years of use! Enough said.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
670 Posts
819 rims are the perfect match for a 575. Light, strong, stiff, and UST. Lace them up with DT comp spokes and brass nips, and you've got a nice wheelset that will last for a long time.

As for hubs, I almost bought CK but went with Hadley's and have been happy with them. Couldn't justify the extra $ for the Chris Blings.

·
EDR
10,574 Posts
819's sound like the match for you. Light enough, strong enough, UST. If you plan on running very wide tires you might consider the 5.1 (I think thats wider than the 819) or 823's but I'm guessing you'll be using 2.4-ish or less with your riding description.

I have PRO2's. Sounds like a Gatling gun. CK's are out of your price range. Hadley's are more than Pros but might be about the same as the DT Swiss hubs and have much better engagement, last time I checked. Those are what I'd get if I could do it again.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The other nice thing about the Hadley's is the 10 mm bolt on rear axle. Helps stiffen the noodley rear end on the pre-2008 575's and looks cleaner than a qr.

I got mine built by go-ride.com. They did a nice job, price-matched everything without any hassle, and the wheels were on my bike within a few days of placing the order.

·
Registered
240 Posts
AZmtncycler said:
Me and my crew all run Chris King hubs on 819 rims or Stan's Flows and none of us have ever had a single problem with this set up for 7+ years of riding. We have seen or used other hubs that all blow in one form or another. Hadley/Shimano (older version) /Magura/ Azonic all have failed. Even the highly touted I9's have had a hub shell crack in half. But ZERO failures of CK for a combined use of 35 years of use! Enough said.:thumbsup:
+1 I also have 819's with Kings. Light, Strong and Reliable.

·
EDR
10,574 Posts
kev1n said:
The other nice thing about the Hadley's is the 10 mm bolt on rear axle. Helps stiffen the noodley rear end on the pre-2008 575's and looks cleaner than a qr.
fwiw you can run that hadley 10mm bolt thru on any convertable hub. I use it on my Pro2 now that I've ditched the DT Swiss RWS.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
If you go the 150mm TALAS 15QR, you should consider the 15QR XT wheelset for that matter. I have the 07 XTR QR on a 08 32 TALAS and they are very good - light, fast rolling and super strong and stiff. The XT wheelset should improve strenght and stiffness at minor weight cost. But if you want lighter, I think they will release a 15QR of the XTR wheelset as well, a friend who already had a glimpse at the 2009 Shimano catalogs said they will have all their hubs and wheelsets available for the new standard. Maybe you could go from there. But the Hope Pro 2 hubs seem to be very nice indeed - I've been looking for info about it in the past few weeks and so far I'm impressed with the feedback - and Hope have an 15QR adapter already. DTs 4.2d are some light and good rims, matched with DT Competition spokes and aluminum nipples. That should result in a good rolling hardware. But go with the 5.1d instead if you plan spec'ing a 36, or maybe even the TA version of the XT wheelset. That will probably suit the fork and its purpose better.

·
Registered
171 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
fwiw you can run that hadley 10mm bolt thru on any convertable hub. I use it on my Pro2 now that I've ditched the DT Swiss RWS.
Is the hadley system an actual through bolt, like on a fork? I'm just curious more than any real need to get one. I use a bolt up pro2, which has an individual bolt for each side of the hub, and I like the idea of a single long through bolt more, but in practice the pro2 system on the 08 575 seems stiffer than a stiff thing.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yes, it's a single through-axle with bolts. It's a pretty slick design- it has a tab on one end that catches on the dropout so that you only need 1 alan to loosen/tighten it. The 10mm TA makes a noticeable difference on the rear end stiffness on a pre-2008 575, comparable to qr vs 20mm difference on a fork. Probably wouldn't hurt on the 2008 model either. You can even get it in Ti if you really need the weight savings / bling.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=1961

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.