Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Underskilled
4,811 Posts
For 29er wheels Kris Holm rims are the best.

If you blow rear hubs, Chris King is indestructable.

For 26" it is easy, just by a wheel set designed for free ride.

·
Clydesdale 29er
189 Posts
I'm 6-4 275 lbs and also ride WTB wheels and I have never broken a spoke. When I first
got the bike the wheels were not properly tensioned and I knocked them out of true but
my LBS fixed them up and I have a 1000 miles on them now with no problems.

·
rock crusher
257 Posts
A good "budget" wheelset is the Halo Freedom Disc 29er set. I have been running a Front Halo 36 spoke wheel for a year without needing so much as a true (yes, I have checked it several times). Out back a Halo Freedom rim with a Surly SS hub, built 3x with 14ga spokes, and brass nips: very solid all the way around. A factory built set with Halo rims/hubs can be had for around $300-350.

My other bike has ZTR flows 36hole laced 4x with Phil Wood Tandem hubs. Twice as expensive, handbuilt, but no better ride or "feel." Both of these front hubs are covertable between 9mm and 20mm thru and worth a look.

BTW, I am about 235, agressive XC riding. For my money, I would do the Halo set again. Going to try to convert them to tubeless this winter.

Look for the 36hole variety no matter what you do.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Yep, the basic oem speeddisc rims are not really up to clyde duty. I folded a couple of them before moving on.

"Best" is a hard one to nail since personal preference and riding style come into the picture. Also there is a best if price is no object and there is best bang for the buck.

If I were looking for good wheelset without giving an arm and a leg I would get a hold of one of the B29 Foundation wheelsets. Still a wtb rim, but a much more robust model. XT hubs with a stout rim is a good start and handbuilt by a professional is better than machine built most any day of the week ;)

Money is no object?
Hadley Thru bolt hubs laced to an appropriate rim:
bombproof - Salsa Gordo or Kris Holm
trail - WTB AM, WTB Dual Duty, Sun Rhynolite, Stans Flow

My current wheels are a mix of burly, mid-weight, thru axle front and thru bolt rear, and a bit of economy mixed in.
WTB front hub 20mm thru
Shimano Saint rear hub 10mm thru
WTB Speeddisc AM rims (26mm wide model)
2.0mm straight gauge spokes
Brass nipples
Pieced together for under $200 with some patience, online hunting, and self build

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
AL29er said:
Yep, the basic oem speeddisc rims are not really up to clyde duty. I folded a couple of them before moving on.
6' 225lbs...been pounding my Speeddisc AM 29er rims for a year and a half with no issues...and they're machine built with no-name spokes (though I did hand tension them when I assembled the bike).

As mentioned in the other identical thread as this today by the same OP, its the OEM build and/or OEM spokes, not the the rim that is causing the broken spokes.

:thumbsup:

·
Disgruntled Peccary
4,044 Posts
yea, after folding my front OEM wheel I've got flows, hope font/hadley rear coming, and I'll spent the grams on brass nipples.. and maybe aplines for spokes... but I didn't pay near retail for any of it.. so far

and the broken spoke problem I had on my OEM rear, was resolved by my local shop relacing them.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
6' 225lbs...been pounding my Speeddisc AM 29er rims for a year and a half with no issues...and they're machine built with no-name spokes (though I did hand tension them when I assembled the bike).

As mentioned in the other identical thread as this today by the same OP, its the OEM build and/or OEM spokes, not the the rim that is causing the broken spokes.

:thumbsup:
Nothing wrong with the speeddisc AM rim. I was referring to the speeddisc trail that was standard oem on most 29er complete bikes circa 2007. It was narrower and I had a heck of a time keeping them inline even after rebuilding the rear. I chalked it up to too light of a rim with too soft of aluminum for me ;)

I thought I was having a deja vu moment there. I just made comment on a thread very similar to this one :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.