Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone's opinion on which tires are the best for a given situation will vary, but I'm looking for something that will hold up better to the loose dusty, gravelly stuff than my current setup. Right now I'm running a 2.5 WTB Dissent up front and a 2.35 Maxxis Highroller in the back.

Weight is not an issue :D

·
Registered
682 Posts
The dissent works well in the dirt up there for me. But if your looking for something different go with a 2.5 maxxis minion 3c front and rear. The wtb timberwolf also is great up there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been very happy with my Maxxis Minion 2.7 super tacky up front, and with Maxxis High Roller 2.7 3c on the rear. The Minion rears aren't a scratch on the High Roller, massive disapointment actually :(

The super tackys are a bad idea for the rear unless you have a magic wallet. I got just 4 days out of one at N* before it was completely shot. I mean COMPLETELY shot to pieces. It was way past it's best after just 2 days and I'm not know for being one to drag on the brakes much, just a few hard braking points on most runs. The Maxxpro or 3c last ages on comparison, and there's not much difference in braking/grip between them. The fronts just seem to last forever for me in the super tacky.

I've also used the Conti Vertical Pros, they grip well but they are a little low on volume and the side walls are quite flimsy. It's really worth going for something with a large volume (2.5+) and some sidewall protection as there are some very jaggy rocks. IMHO if you are running more than 25psi then you really aren't getting anywhere near the maximum grip on the loose stuff. I run 18-20psi with the Maxxis tires and I can just about get away with the pinch flats, the grip is quite insane given the loose conditions.

The WTB Dissents are very popular up there this season and come very highly recommended, but I've yet to try them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't say much about Maxxis up there, but I have ridden a bunch of WTB tires at Northstar, and I recommend the WeirWolf 2.5 Team DH or Timberwolf 2.5 Team DH above all others. Whatever brand you choose, you have to make sure you have a deep tread with widely spaced knobs. That way you can pierce in to the super soft soil and really lean on the tires in corners. It's also extremely important to go with a thick casing. The rocky terrain eats lightweight tires alive.

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
I rode 2.5 Specialized Chunders up there a few times last season.

Was FAR more pleased with those tires than with the High Rollers I used to run. Better traction in the soft dust, and on rocks.

·
Premium Member
8,062 Posts
WTB Marketing Guy said:
I can't say much about Maxxis up there, but I have ridden a bunch of WTB tires at Northstar, and I recommend the WeirWolf 2.5 Team DH or Timberwolf 2.5 Team DH above all others. Whatever brand you choose, you have to make sure you have a deep tread with widely spaced knobs. That way you can pierce in to the super soft soil and really lean on the tires in corners. It's also extremely important to go with a thick casing. The rocky terrain eats lightweight tires alive.
I have only ridden at Northstar a few times, but agree that whatever you run, make sure it works well in soft conditions and has a thick casing. Northstar is soft, dry, dusty, and rocky.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, I think that the tread on the Dissents is not deep enough and based on the reponses here the Minions seem to be the most popular tire for Northstar. I'll order up a 2.5" Minion DHF 3C and see how that works out :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.