Last year I canceled my gym membership and used the proceeds to invest in home gym equipment. It seems everyone else had the same idea and the prices for new and used workout gear skyrocketed. Now that the world is getting back to normal, I'm still committed to building out my home gym.

I'm curious if other mountain bikers have done, or are doing the same, and what types of equipment everyone likes or dislikes.

So far I've made three significant upgrades to my home gym setup.

Treadmill
First up is a treadmill. While I test trainers occasionally for work, I can't tolerate indoor riding for more than 30 minutes at a time. No matter how interactive Zwift gets, it doesn't do it for me. On the flip side, I seem to be able to run on a treadmill like a hamster on a wheel for extended periods of time. Go figure.

I was a collegiate runner and have been trying to add more running into my weekly workouts. I picked up a gently used Horizon Fitness 7.0 treadmill last winter (it had probably spent most of its life covered in laundry) and have been very happy with it. The fact it folds up between workouts is a major plus for those whose home gym is also a garage/bike shop.

Squat Rack
This was my largest stimulus-check-fueled home gym investment and the one I'm most happy with. As with the treadmill, I needed to find a squat rack that folded as flat as possible between workouts. A folding wall-mounted rack was the way to go.

There are a bunch of options available, but I went with PRx Performance for the range of accessories they offer. I added a pull-up bar and longer arms. When you're done with your workout, just fold it up, remove the arms, and use your basement or garage for other things. When folded, it sticks out approximately four inches from the wall.

PSO-Rite psoas muscle release tool
I thought this thing was a gimmick when I first saw it. Not to mention laying belly-down on it seemed incredibly painful. (It's no picnic.) But several of my friends who are current and former professional cyclists swore by it as a quick way to target and release the psoas.
If you're not familiar with the psoas, these are the muscles that connect your pelvis to your lower back. The psoas is also responsible for a lot of back pain and sciatic issues in cyclists. It turns out spending hours hunched over a bike and then more hours hunched over a keyboard has consequences...

At full retail, it's $79.99. I think it's way overpriced, but I was able to snag a deal with a Honey coupon code for $20 off, so I went for it. A lacrosse ball can also target and release deep core muscles for much less money, but this has worked better for me and my dog doesn't run off with it mid-workout. The PSO-Rite has worked as advertised and has become part of my stretching/yoga routine.

Like I wrote in the intro, I'm curious to learn what other mountain bikers have invested in to build their home gyms, so show us what you've got.