Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
On a percentage basis, free and new is pretty good. I won a priority classic in a contest a few years ago. That was pretty cool.

in terms of a good deal, I bought a Diamondback Clutch from performance/Nashbar (RIP) on deep discount. It was about 150 bucks cheaper than the men’s version, which was already on deep discount. It had a pretty good air fork and shock, and full NX with a hollow spindle, not the power spline. A real modern mountain bike for about $1100.

·
Trail Ninja
6,040 Posts
I sold someone a Gary Fisher Superfly 100 Elite FS that was 22 lbs for $900. 7k+ if new. XX1/XO1, almost full carbon. New chain, cassette, and chainring. Recently serviced susp with perfect brake bleed. Even threw in spare brake rotors and brake spare pads.

Guess it was a good deal cause for them since it had high sentimental value to me, but it had loads of miles and abuse on it.

·
Dirty Old Man
1,067 Posts
Free and new, back when I was racing; although I guess you just pay for those in a different way. A few years back I got a barely touched Trek Remedy 9.8 for 2k. The original buyer was a roadie who bought the bike and realized he didn't like MTBing. The original tires still had the mold release nibs on the tread.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
2019 Giant Reign Adv 0...

RRP (NZ dollars) it went for $9,499.

I bought one before covid hit last year for $4,500... brand new

Only trouble was on the descents it felt shorter than the numbers suggested... especially the front half.

On flow trails, on the climbs, traversing, it felt awesome.

On the downs when you want to hit mach chicken, it was far from confidence inspiring.

I toyed with setup i.e. longer stem, high rise bars, saddle right back on rails... but, I could never get over that sketchy feeling when pointed down.

So... I paid $5,100 (NZ dollars again) for a 2020 Giant Reign 27.5 around Xmas and swapped over all the blingy 2018 bits i.e. Super Deluxe coil shock & remote... Sram XO1 drivetrain (cranks & bb as well)... Dt swiss Ex 1501 wheels...

So, the $6,499 steed I bought for $5,100 w/ all the blingy bits is probably worth $8K!!

What happened to the 2018 Adv 0??

I sold it for $3,800 to a young fella who'll appreciate it.

I was offered $4,200 for it, but the guy was a dick about it... so, I told him where to go.

If the Reign Adv 0 had've been 10mm longer in the top tube, I would still be riding it now.

Pic 1 - of Reign Adv 0 in all its glory.

Pic 2 - Reign Advanced 2020 w/ blingy upgrades
IMG_20200120_152635.jpg
IMG_20201028_104515.jpg

PS - the new Reign is on rails!! For a 170/160mm travel mule, it rides like a big bmx bike!!

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
995 Posts
One special morning, I woke up and rushed into the living room
there was a white sheet over a big object: with a handwritten piece of paper pinned to it that just said “Mike”
Two white wall tires were showing at the bottom of the sheet

seems a saint had visited our house and left my dream gift
hard deal to beat

in the 50s life was not photographed non-stop , like today
So no picture, sorry

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
I am fortunate in that I have only ever paid retail on two of the more than 40 odd bikes I have had over my life. But the best deal I have gotten on bikes has been on used CX bikes.
Both bikes were top of line CX race bike, literally raced at WC CX races. Both in perfect condition, I think they were only pit bikes. My price $1000USD.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was given this Norco Sasquatch by a bunch of people (team members and other kind local cyclists). I had been on the losing end of a battle with crohn's disease for many years and was rarely able to ride (or afford bike repairs). They held my previous bike hostage under the guise of "waiting for parts" and surprised me with this at our annual bikes and beers night. I was humbled and also able to give my previous fatbike to another team member who gave it a proper refresh and now gets to ride with me in winter. Double win.

Pic is 5 weeks post op of having my colon and some small intestine removed. My 3rd ever race and finishing near last never felt so good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
A few years ago I popped into an estate sale near me to look at skis (wanted a beater pair of cross country). The skis were gone by the time I got there, but I was chatting w/ the family members and they told me there was a lot more unsorted sporting goods they hadn't set out yet due to uncertainty of pricing/interest. So I was lead into basement and a storage unit in the back where I found a treasure trove of bikes.... An older Dura Ace Quintana Roo, some really sweeeet lugged touring bikes from the 70s that were really dressed up nicely w/ custom leather frame bags... but what I wound up taking home were 2 Cannondales: A full XO/XX Carbon F29 (2012ish), w/ newish carbon ENVEs in pretty dang decent condition, and a MINT Prophet. All this for $125.

I still kick myself for not also trying to squeeze one of those touring bikes in, but I couldn't fit anything else into my car.

I sold the frame from the F29 for $1800, and put all the components onto the prophet for a sick little 1x build. The ENVE wheels are waiting for glory for an upcoming gravel build.

Edit:

God, I got more. Last March, before New England began to thaw (and therefore the rush to buy bikes wasn't huge as COVID wasn't HUGE yet) I bought my fiance's Salsa El Mariachi from someone who's wife never rode it. It was showroom, save for a few component upgrades. This was the best $500 I've spent on a bike because she puts a lot of miles on this, as the bike can be built a million different ways. I even threw on the 80mm Carbon Lefty that came with the F29 above. It is a cush set up.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Back in the salad days of our local racing team, my buddy was able to connect with Santa Cruz for wholesale deals.

We got hooked up with top end Blurs for a few race seasons, and man, what a great bike it was!

·
Ian Limburg
*Custom* 2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 770 MSL
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I was given this Norco Sasquatch by a bunch of people (team members and other kind local cyclists). I had been on the losing end of a battle with crohn's disease for many years and was rarely able to ride (or afford bike repairs). They held my previous bike hostage under the guise of "waiting for parts" and surprised me with this at our annual bikes and beers night. I was humbled and also able to give my previous fatbike to another team member who gave it a proper refresh and now gets to ride with me in winter. Double win.

Pic is 5 weeks post op of having my colon and some small intestine removed. My 3rd ever race and finishing near last never felt so good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
WOW! Amazing story, Sounds like you are a real fighter. I hope you continue to recover, and you %100 deserved that bike.

·
Registered
149 Posts
$400 for a brand new 2015 Heckler frame with full warranty back in 2015 since I broke my 2008 heckler with warranty

·
furker
35 Posts
Best deal I've been involved with was when I sold a late 80's Free Agent Pro XL BMX bike in mint condition for $100 bucks.

Profile 3-piece cranks
Array rims with Bullseye hubs
Hutch Beartraps
Hutch bars
Hutch layback seatpost
DK stem

The kicker: The kid I sold it to never actually came up with the $100. But it was all cool because I was basically giving it away to him anyways when I moved to mountain bikes. And he totally did amazing crap on that bike. Joy to watch that bike actually live up to what it was meant to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My current roadie is a full Dura Ace equipped Super6 Evo HiMod. Barely used, looked brand new. Lady that owned it is closer to N+5 than N+1 and needed more room. It was at my friends LBS and he said "You would be an idiot not to buy that bike".

$1200 seems like a good deal. Over 20,000 miles on it now in 2 years.
My current roadie is a full Dura Ace equipped Super6 Evo HiMod. Barely used, looked brand new. Lady that owned it is closer to N+5 than N+1 and needed more room. It was at my friends LBS and he said "You would be an idiot not to buy that bike".

$1200 seems like a good deal. Over 20,000 miles on it now in 2 years.
N + 5 lady sold it because she was done with road riding in So Cal. 😜

41 - 54 of 54 Posts