Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Almost the same as yours, actually. 2013 Scott Spark 930 (FS, carbon), upgraded with Factory 32 SC fork, M1700 wheels, Bonty Team tires, and a Thompson dropper for $600. Everything was in great shape.

Gent who sold it greeted me at the guest house next to the pool. Getting top dollar for his old ride (the replacement was also there; a high four-figure Ibis) did not seem to be a priority.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Lots of deals over the years. Got a free Chris King hub once when I ordered two on a pro-form but they sent 3 hubs. I even called and said to charge me for the extra and I'd keep it and they never did. Got a Townie brand new for about half off once. It was mislabeled and my wife paid for it and didn't know! The best deals are free though right?! My wife's work bought all their employees new ebikes to commute with as part of some green house gas reduction program. We got a new RadWagon with rear seat and cargo bags. I think the thing goes 24 mph without pedaling. Kinda nuts. Funny thing, she's been working from home since March 2019 so can't commute on it til Corona is over! I worked in shops for years so deals were always floating around as well as the usual pro-forms.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
3,674 Posts
Free.

Sometimes it pays to be a tall, female cyclist in an area that doesn't have a lot of those. For my wife, it was right place, right time visiting a shop in St. Louis.

View attachment 1916438
Funny thing about that is one of my buddies bought a Liv because he liked the fit better and he loves it. Throw a dude seat on it and a couple other minor tweaks and you are set. If it had that paint job I'd probably wrap it though.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Craigslist - Got a Redline Monocog 29er that was so new it still had the rubber molding on the tires. Owner said he got transferred from east coast to west coast and could only take what he could fit in his car. He was asking $125 and I eagerly paid.

Sadly I felt guilty about it wondering if it was stolen. Ironically, it was stolen from me.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
How in the world did she get this for free? I would have ridden it with no shame for a third of the price!
We basically have a rule that when we travel places, we stop at local bike shops and support them if we can/shoot the ****. I've worked in shops off and on over the last 10 years and I really enjoy getting to know different people and places.

As far as how she happened to get it, again, right place and time is all I can say. Between the two of us, she's DEFINITELY the nicer one. That probably helped. :)

Reactions: shwndh

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
$2900 shipped for a barely used 2019 Norco Aurum HSP frame with both a fox DHX2 and Rockshox super deluxe with springs, barely used Fox 49 and barely used cranks/BB/seatpost/seat.

Bought off Pinkbike from the other side of the country, , and when I opened the box I could not even tell it had been ridden - not even dust in the crevices.

That guy did me a solid. I've got over a dozen days on that bike (so no hidden flaws after the fact !)

·
Registered
53 Posts
These are all great deals! I am kinda notorious for stalking Craigslist and PB for deals all day. I've got two bikes now that I could sell collectively for over $5K I have less than $2K in both combined. @rideit I'm seriously jealous :LOL:
I had a circa 2000 hardtail and met some guys that invited me to ride. After a couple times I was ready to quite mountain biking, especially when I saw new bikes were going for $5k on average. My wife said check Craigslist and I saw a green 2017 Raleigh Tokul 3 (below, in Sedona) in my size that looked interesting. I googled it and found it runs about $1k, then a Skills With Phil video review of it and after watching immediately contacted the seller. Met him and did a test ride in the street - perfect fit! Chatting with him, he said he had three bikes and his new fiance said he could have one (ouch!). He had the bike for only 6 months, so I was blown away when he said he wanted $550 for it. SOLD!! 6 months later I got a dropper for it for $100. Awesome deal, it's served me well, and it's also sold me on trolling Craigslist when I need something.

Phil's video:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Malvern Star (classic Aussie brand) MTB for free that someone was giving away cos it had a flat tyre, broken brake and gear cables. And the red paint faded on one side from being left in the sun.
Specialized Sirrus Expert carbon flat bar road bike (2014 model) with Italian-made Formula C1 disc brakes for AU$700 (US$543), was US$2250 when new. Cheap tyre on the front, found a new pair of Specialized Espoir Sport tyres (which it was originally fitted with) that someone had taken off his new bike, AU$25 (US$20) for the pair! :love:

·
No known cure
4,066 Posts
I found a 1985 Stumpjumper at the dump. They have a store there for people to drop stuff off that's not quite trash, Another Man's Treasure. I always drop in when there. The SJ was complete, in great condition but the tires were rotted and it was covered in dust. I got it for ten bucks. Since it was only the second year for the SJ, the first production mountain bike, it sold quick and I got $500 for it which funded a trip up to Oregon to race an enduro.

Then there was the time I picked up a Litespeed Vortex roadbike for $200 at a garage sale. This wasn't just any run of the mill 3AL/2.5V titanium frame but a 6AL/4V, hand formed and shaped tubing. It was also equipped with full Dura Ace. That went for $1400. It was a 56cm frame and a perfect fit, but I don't ride road.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,013 Posts
In the '90s I had 2 Univegas in a row that broke. I was having trouble getting warranty coverage on the 2nd one (in as many months), so someone, a sales rep maybe, sent me a sort of pro-rated refund check for the frame, probably figuring he'd get reimbursed from Univega. At the exact same time, Univega decided to replace the broken frame with a lower model, which showed up a couple days later. All in all, it might have been a wash, but I sold the frame and took my refund and bought a 1996 Specialized M2 and some King hubs. The M2 eventually broke 8 years on and was warrantied by the Big S with a 2004 SJ M4, which I still have and use for road rides. So I kinda got 3 bikes for free.

-F

·
Ian Limburg
*Custom* 2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 770 MSL
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Dang, these are all awesome. I'm enjoying these stories.

My other story would be for my 2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 770 MSL. Now this bike had been owned by a custom builder in cos. He did a custom paint job, put a brand new GX 1X11 on it, a brand newManitou McLeod shock in the rear, and a RockShox Pike up front that had just been rebuilt. All of the new suspension parts tuned the bike in to 140mm of travel front and rear. Which was what I wanted vs the 120mm that this came with factory. I ended up trading that guy my well abused 2011 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon that I had for about a year and paid $700 for (that was a pretty good deal too...but a different story). The reason I wanted something with more travel is I do a lot of enduro type stuff and I even took the Epic on The Whole Enchilada....That was a bit sketchy. Anyway I ended up trading him the Epic, $450, and an extra set of Dt Swiss rims I had lying around (They weren't anything special). This was all this last December. So I think that's a pretty good deal.

Glow in the dark paint...

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,551 Posts
I once pushed a kid down, took his lunch money, and rode off on his bike. He literally paid me to take his bike. Smokin' deal!

·
Cycologist
7,189 Posts
I once pushed a kid down, took his lunch money, and rode off on his bike. He literally paid me to take his bike. Smokin' deal!
He paid you to take this?!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Current bike I'm on now was the best deal. I cracked my old frame and didn't have much money at the time for replacement. I checked around on Pinkbike for a new frame and found a Banshee Rune V2. I think he was asking $700 for the frame but also had a DVO Diamond (non boost) and a DVO Topaz he was selling. Told him my situation and he let me have it all for $800. The frame, fork and shock were basically brand new when I received them. I doubt they've been ridden more than two or three times if at all. The non-boost fork was perfect since my current hub is still 100mm. All I had to do was swap everything from my broken frame onto the Rune.

Banshee frames don't seem to sell for much on the used market. I guess because they aren't one of the major well known brands. This is without a doubt the highest quality frame I've ridden including a bunch of much more expensive demo's and test rides from the big well known brands.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Since you asked... I am riding a full suspension bike I paid $1500 for that rides as good as anything I can imagine, anything else would be overkill, and I ride a fair amount of steep tech. It was a new Diamondback Release 1 from 2017.... still crushing on it. Demos on $5000 bikes don't feel better to me than this trusty thing.

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,822 Posts
My current roadie is a full Dura Ace equipped Super6 Evo HiMod. Barely used, looked brand new. Lady that owned it is closer to N+5 than N+1 and needed more room. It was at my friends LBS and he said "You would be an idiot not to buy that bike".

$1200 seems like a good deal. Over 20,000 miles on it now in 2 years.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Got one. A few years ago on Craigslist I found a 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail frame that came with a Fox Fork and Mavic 717 wheels for $250. The frame was too big for me but I really wanted the fork and wheels. Everything was in excellent condition. The seller was more into road bikes and he had good tastes. I sold the frame for $500.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 54 Posts