Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Ian Limburg
*Custom* 2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 770 MSL
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best deal you have ever gotten on a bike? Whether this be new or used I'm curious to see what the best price/deal you've ever gotten or even sold a bike for.

I'll start us off with my basically perfect condition 2013 Scott Scale 910 I bought a week ago. It has been upgraded to an XX1 1X11 drivetrain, oval chainring (been wanting to try one for a long while now), and Carbon Fiber Roval rims. Bike weighs in around 20 pounds. Bought it for $500!

What about you guys?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Free. Literally and I'm not even joking. I was fortunate enough that a former small frame builder decided to clean out his garage and he put a pile of free bikes and parts on craigslist. I was there an hour later and walked out with 3 complete bikes, two of his own personal customs, and some miscellaneous parts for pugsley's and other stuff. I no longer have those bikes, and I do miss them a lot, but life warranted I move onto something else

·
Ian Limburg
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Free. Literally and I'm not even joking. I was fortunate enough that a former small frame builder decided to clean out his garage and he put a pile of free bikes and parts on craigslist. I was there an hour later and walked out with 3 complete bikes, two of his own personal customs, and some miscellaneous parts for pugsley's and other stuff. I no longer have those bikes, and I do miss them a lot, but life warranted I move onto something else
Dang that's AWESOME!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I lived in Seattle around 2007. I saw a Cannondale Sobe bike on craigslist for $30. No pictures. I emailed the seller, but they didn't get back with me. Then several days later they responded and I picked it up. CAAD2 rigid bike with low end components, I guess it was a promotional thing with Cannondale. It was like new. I rode it around for about a year and then when I had to move I flipped it on eBay for around $150. I'm not a fan of rigid MTBs... at least it was light.

If a deal is TOO good, I am always thinking the bike could be stolen, unless the bike is an obvious garage queen.

·
Ian Limburg
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's a good one too. My hardtail was from a guy who had it and a Scott Spark both from when his son raced. The dude obviously had money so was fine with letting it go for the price. My Scale hadn't been ridden since early 2016

·
well mannered lout
2,777 Posts
2006 Stumpjumper FSR $275. @ years ago that would have been a pretty good deal. During the C19 bike shortage it's smoking. Same bike sold yesterday on the local Craigs List bike classifieds for $1000.

IMG_3578 (2).JPG

Got my '70 Hawthorne muscle bike for free

IMG_1824 (3).JPG

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I don't have a pic, but I got a free bike at an endurance race I did years ago. They had a bunch of these cool cruiser bikes to give out for "notable finishes". I was the only person to ever do the race on a fixed gear, so they let me pick one. Pretty cool. I had no use for it and sold it, but it made me feel cool for 5 minutes.

·
Cycologist
7,189 Posts
After I got back into mtb, in the winter I was hauling my full suspension to ride it on the rails to trails path when freeze/thaw cycles were closing the mtb trails. I found a Nashbar road bike on CL being given away free. The guy had bought out an estate, if I remember correctly and didn't think the bike was worth messing with. I swapped out the 27s for some 700s I picked up and fixed a few other things and rode it for several years.

Picked up my Gunnar Streetdog frame/fork/crank for $40 off CL. Severely stuck seatpost took me a month to get out. Parts and a powdercoat and it's a great fixed gear.

I'm holding out a little hope at the moment on a Lemond Reno I'm second in line for that the first in line is supposed to pick up today. Low end aluminum frame but $100 on Nextdoor.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
5,968 Posts
I used to get Giant b-stock prototype frames free from the R&D department (designs they didn’t use or mules with multiple shock mount locations, etc). Mostly NRS and AC bikes, early 00’s. One or two DH models.
it was super fun.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I’m part owner of a shop that sells one of the major brands. The manufacturer has an employee purchase program that has tons of training videos, and if you get to the max level you get 30% off normal cost. And as far as the IRS is concerned the shop owns the bike the first year until it’s written off. Not completely free but I can’t tell any effect on my wallet.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine would be a combination thing. Last summer I purchased a thrice ridden 2017 carbon Salsa Beargrease for $900. That was a good deal. The combination made it even better. A few weeks ago on FB I had an unsolicited offer to sell it for $2500. I accepted, of course, partly because even though that bike fit me like a glove and rode like silk, I like rotating bikes. It allowed me to buy another Beargrease, this one for my wife. Ridden half-dozen times, Whisky carbon rims, Onyx hubs, Thomson dropper and stem, XX1 drivetrain, XT brakes. The $2350 I paid was a lot, but also a steal for a legitimate $6k bike. Made my wife very happy.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,205 Posts
I traded a Bianchi DISS for a quad fin Stretch surfboard. That board ripped and the bike was too small for me so it seemed like a good deal for both of us. Does this still count?
👽

·
Ian Limburg
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These are all great deals! I am kinda notorious for stalking Craigslist and PB for deals all day. I've got two bikes now that I could sell collectively for over $5K I have less than $2K in both combined. @rideit I'm seriously jealous :LOL:

·
Registered
42 Posts
2006 Stumpjumper FSR $275. @ years ago that would have been a pretty good deal. During the C19 bike shortage it's smoking. Same bike sold yesterday on the local Craigs List bike classifieds for $1000.

Got my '70 Hawthorne muscle bike for free

View attachment 1916437
Sweet Hawthorn! Here is my pristine free 1969 Huffy. Rode this all around the University of Utah campus and downtown SLC in the mid 2000s.
1969 Huffy.jpg
1969 Huffy.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
About a month ago I bought a 2018 Felt Doctrine 6 carbon fiber, paid 400 for it. I saw two guys on pinkbike selling the exact same thing. One guy ones 1400 and the other a little under 1200. The guy claimed he needed to fix his truck and he wanted to get into fat bikes. I have seen junk go for 400. I wanted to upgrade, other bikes I saw before this keep selling quickly. I was getting very frustrated. Then this came along, almost to good to be true, messaged the guy and told him I would give him his asking price if he would hold it till I got there.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
This will Impress nobody but but I got a 2021 Trance X 29 2 for $2000 on CL. The kicker is the seller upgraded to Shimano XTR, now I’m too spoiled to own anything with Deore or SRAM.

I was fully prepared to buy that bike new with the crappier stock sram gears, it would’ve cost over $2600 with tax. I value the XTR at about $800 so I think I got a $3200 bike for 2k. Main thing is I love the bike, won’t need another until I’m much better or I go CF.

·
CEO Product Failure
1,561 Posts
$400 for a brand new, never built, XXL scandium Kona Four frame. Got it for my son. Great bike in its day and difficult size to find.

·
Registered
843 Posts
2018 carbon sc hightower, reserve wheels, magura brakes, rockshox monarch plus shock, lyrik fork, renthal bars, wolftooth dropper, with extra parts bought it over a year ago for $3500 and still riding it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
on another not I gave my giant fathom 2018 with rockshox pike, spank wheelset, magura brakes, renthal carbon bar, shimano slx to a friend after he was hit by a truck on his bike and was without.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts