Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a number of these center lock to 6 bolt disc adapters out there. Are any of them better than the other. Any problems with them? Does the rotor spin true or do you need to play with it? Any noise squeal creaking? Ive seen these:

Alligator Center Lock Adapter
Problem Solver's
DT Swiss Center Lock (IST) Adapter
Shimano Centre-Lock to 6-bolt adapter
Formula centerlock adapter 6bolt rotor

I'm sure there are plenty others, prices range from $10 to $30+ per wheel.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hope Rotors

I was thinking of getting XTR wheels but running hope 6 bolt rotors on them. The description for the DT swiss adapter says it is designed to work for DT center disc hubs.
I guess it will still work with XTR hubs.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Tallsilver1 said:
I'm using the DT Swiss adapters w/ XTR hubs and Avid Rotors, no problems, very slick system, much better than 6 little bolts in my opinion.
Agreed. I am running the the same combo. I was skeptical at first but I am liking it very much. I am working on a couple of travel mtb designs and the Centerlock hubs with adapters make it very easy to remove the rotors for shipping and still use almost any brake system you want.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
roadrunner said:
I was thinking of getting XTR wheels but running hope 6 bolt rotors on them. The description for the DT swiss adapter says it is designed to work for DT center disc hubs.
I guess it will still work with XTR hubs.
The previous Hope 6 bolt Mono Mini rotors won't fit on the DT Swiss adapters, the centre hole in the rotor is too small, I'm not sure what the newest Hope rotors are like. I'm running the DT Swiss adapters with Magura Marta and Avid G2 rotors on XT and XTR wheels just fine

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
m_beale1 said:
I've used a shimano centerlock adapter in the past and it worked just fine.
I also have the Shimano adapter. Works fine. Has more parts than the DT, weighs more and costs only slightly less. The DT is easier to use if you change/remove rotors often.

·
Mountain Cyclist
320 Posts
Whatever you do DO NOT get the P.O.S. Alligator CL adapters (ie. from Pricepoint). I bought 2 sets...the first set I stripped the threads and I thought I did something wrong. I took the second set to a bike shop who also stripped the threads. Neither one of us got anywhere near the 40 Nm stated on the adapter itself (the shop gave me some Shimano lockrings that I used instead of the ones that came with the Alligator kit and they worked great)...the Alligator lockrings are junk!

I also tried the Rock Werks ones from Performance. They appear higher quality than the Problem Solvers ones (the side allen screw type that clamp onto the hub) but I tried 2 different RW adapters and couldn't get either to lay flat enough to stop disc wobble.

·
Unfit Norwegian
1,260 Posts
Formula and DT adapters are mostly equal. Shimano's are a little heavier, but lovely over-engineered and pretty. I own both DT and Shimano adapters, and usually end up using the Shimanos.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I used DT swiss with my Hope Mono Mini Pro 160 Discs and XTR wheels and worked fine. However, when I switched to a 183 in the front, they did not fit. My LBS, shaved some material off the DT Swiss adapter and got it to work.

I just ordered a new set of brakes (Hope Tech M4's with 183F&R), so we'll see if they work.

·
Currently muddy
108 Posts
jrcxu said:
Whatever you do DO NOT get the P.O.S. Alligator CL adapters (ie. from Pricepoint). I bought 2 sets...the first set I stripped the threads and I thought I did something wrong. I took the second set to a bike shop who also stripped the threads. Neither one of us got anywhere near the 40 Nm stated on the adapter itself (the shop gave me some Shimano lockrings that I used instead of the ones that came with the Alligator kit and they worked great)...the Alligator lockrings are junk!
I have to second this quote. You can't get the Alligator adapters anywhere near 40 Nm... maybe half that before the threads strip out. I should have just bought the DT Swiss to start with!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.