Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 271 Posts

·
Go faster!
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a new carbon hardtail frame soon and I decided I need to use the help from the public. :D

Ive considered ebay frames but they do not ofer maximum quality, and they are heavy.

Which is considered the best carbon hardtail frame today for crosscountry racing and maratons, not the most expensive but the lightest weight, excelent stiffness for maximum power transfer, and durable?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
There is no "best" for most things in life but the Scott Scale and the Giant XTC have been around for years and always get great reviews. The new Rocky Mountain Vertex is worth a look too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My vote would be for the 09 Orbea Alma. Its by far the best I've ridden. It's the best IMHO at soaking up the bumps and rails through the turns. I rotate bike often and its the best out of the 3 HT I've had: S-WORKs Carbon HT, Scott Scale, XTC, now on a GF Superfly and I notice the difference but the big wheels help.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Cheers! said:
How about a Bianchi Carbon?
uuuh - the Bianchi looks just like any off-Ebay asia-carbon frame (which it basically is with a different paint scheme).

I haven't seen any mentions of Simplon , Canyon , No Saint and Ghost.

The Simplon is the lightest to date, the Scott always gets the best reviews and is 2nd-3rd lightest with others following quite a bit behind.

Orbea and Rocky Mountain both share soft frames, by far the softest frames of all tested carbon-bikes in german magazines. Storck , Simplon and Canyon are very stiff and some too unforgiving (Storck). So for a carbon-frame it is to find the right mix of stiffness and "compliance".

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
And Spesh, Norco and Whyte are doing some nice carbon hardtail frames too.

Depending on what kind of ride duration and terrain you have in mind, having a super super stiff hardtail is not always the ultimate solution. As Nino says, the carbon Vertex is not one of the stiffest in testing, but even at that it is many times stiffer than the previous scandium frame. If the frame is too stiff, it will just beat you senseless. My experience so far on the carbon Vertex 50/70RSL frame is that it is one of the most comfortable HT's I've ridden, as well as being light and stiff enough for my 195 pounds. I'd hate to have the frame be as stiff as my old Easton Ultralite tubed hardtail, which I loved for it's handling but hated for the hurtin' it delivered.

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
I would say that for a 26" bike, the "best" in terms of drivetrain stiffness, light weight and superb handling in a race bike, would be:

Trek Elite 9.9
C'Dale Taurine
Look 986

As far as cutting edge tech, the Trek and C'dale, with their integrated parts and drivetrain components (BB90/BB30, super stout head tubes) offer improved handling and stiffness over bikes like the Scale and Alma. The Look 986 has a buttery ride for a hardtail with the seatmast elastomers built in, and it's such a rare and beautiful bike that it's worth a look.

Haven't ridden the specialized S-Works, but I've heard good things. For light weight with less comfort/handling consideration, the Scott Scale is hard to beat, although it could use an update at this point. Also, I would comment that in my opinion, the Alma 26" and BMC carbon are a bit harsh riding, although both are very stiff.

For 29er, the Alma is outstanding, and the wheels really do soak up the bumps better than the 26" version. Also, the GF Superfly is worth a look in that category as well.

1 - 20 of 271 Posts