Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the best all mountain frame? one that can really climb and is little light, but can also handle steep sections, ill be using it for trail riding.. will put marz AM1 on it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Need more info. Weight, Type of riding, big drops,small drops,the type of area you ride in
and your price range.Then when you get a list of frames ask Question in the correct
forums and read the bike reviews. After all this ,Demo the bike before you buy if possible.
Hope this helps :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i will be using it for normal rail riding, not freeride, something like agressive xc..... i have a dh bike and a hardtail xc bike, what im looking for is something in the middle of the 2.... what forum should this be in? sorry im not familiar with anywhere in the board but the dh forum
 

·
the wrench
Joined
·
469 Posts
how about a rocky mountain slayer. with the 5" in the rear it would be a good match to the am1. also its a proven suspension design thats gonna be reliable and work very well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
garboui said:
how about a rocky mountain slayer. with the 5" in the rear it would be a good match to the am1. also its a proven suspension design thats gonna be reliable and work very well.
is it avaible frame only? it looks nice, have you tried it? how does it ride?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LBguy said:
That's a very general question. Kind of like asking "what's the best sports car". My vote goes for the yeti 575 though :)
thats becuase im looking for a bike for general riding, something that can be used for all kind of trails, except for bighits or sumthing that will require a dh or fr rig

looked into the yeti 575, cant figure out why its more expensive than the AS-X
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
706 Posts
ice_kha said:
thats becuase im looking for a bike for general riding, something that can be used for all kind of trails, except for bighits or sumthing that will require a dh or fr rig

looked into the yeti 575, cant figure out why its more expensive than the AS-X
The best? Turner 5 Spot.

The ASX is cheaper because its construction is outsourced, while the 575 is built in the Yeti factory.
 

·
the wrench
Joined
·
469 Posts
ice_kha said:
is it avaible frame only? it looks nice, have you tried it? how does it ride?
i have ridden the slayer before. it rides with virtually no pedal bob even when sprinting out of the saddle. the suspension is fairly plush for the smaller bumps but its progressive enough for when the tough gets going. i personally like the geometry of the slayer and most importantly for a 5" travel bike the bb is just the right height for nimbleness and clearence for logs and rocks. the slayer is offered as a frame only. another nice touch to the slayer is that its all hand built in BC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Ruben C said:
Check out the Cannondale Prophet line!
+1

I personally ride an 04 Cannondale Jekyll 1000 that amazed me everyday. I ride aggressive rocky and root filled trails and routinely drop 2-3' on trails with no effort on this thing. It has pushed me into looking to get a FR only rig to add.

I hear the Prophet rides even better than the Jekyll so it has to be amazing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what do you guys think of the Titus MotoLite. Gary Fisher Cake , Giant's Reign models Giant's Reign models and the sta cruz heckler, are these any good for allmountain is the 5 spot, and yeti 575 better?
 

·
kneecap
Joined
·
1,642 Posts
Everybody's going to have an opinion, my vote goes to the Specialized "enduro". Adjustable rear link & shock, 5.2" rear travel, tons of them produced, lifetime frame warrenty, & very cost effective (cheep). I'm speaking for the older 02/04 model, still produced this year as a base unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
ice_kha said:
whats the best all mountain frame? one that can really climb and is little light, but can also handle steep sections, ill be using it for trail riding.. will put marz AM1 on it...
The Huffy Z14. It get's a bad rap cuz it breaks so easily, but it is far and away the best frame around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
I demo'ed a Slayer 70 yesterday for over an hour and I have to say, it left me VERY impressed.
I was waiting to ride an ETS, and took this rather than waiting. Man am i glad I did.
I thought the thing would bob lioke mad, but it pedalled really well, and the slacker headtube was very comfortable.
I cleared trails I had never done before on my current bike.
I was looking to get a 575 as well, but I might get the Slayer instead seeing as how it's easier to find one here in Toronto.
 

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
MS MSP said:
I demo'ed a Slayer 70 yesterday for over an hour and I have to say, it left me VERY impressed.
I was waiting to ride an ETS, and took this rather than waiting. Man am i glad I did.
I thought the thing would bob lioke mad, but it pedalled really well, and the slacker headtube was very comfortable.
I cleared trails I had never done before on my current bike.
I was looking to get a 575 as well, but I might get the Slayer instead seeing as how it's easier to find one here in Toronto.
Mike, I suggest you do try the ETSX before you commit to the Slayer. If you liked the Slayer I suspect you're going to love the ETSX. I'm a little biased since I own one, but I've found the ETSX to an absolutely amazing all round trail bike that is especially good when it comes to climbing.

Karl
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top