Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i am about to drop the cash and i want to know what the best 66 is to suit my gemini wich is my only bike so i pedal everywhere , basicly its between 66sl and 66light , will the light feel better with the coil in it?

·
Trail addicted
9 Posts
66SL vs 66LightETA, well, 66SL is lighter (2590gr) and offer ajusting travel. You will get less sensitivity on small rocks.
66light is coil and 1.10 lbs heavier. This one offers more comfort on small shocks. Also you will get ETA on 66light (which is not so light finaly).
You will always have more with coil forks but if you've got weight in mind... well 66 air fork is a great choice.

gemini2000 said:
Hey i am about to drop the cash and i want to know what the best 66 is to suit my gemini wich is my only bike so i pedal everywhere , basicly its between 66sl and 66light , will the light feel better with the coil in it?

·
Registered
557 Posts
gemini2000 said:
The SL is getting great reviews... Robot Chicken has posted extensively about his... I personally plan on getting a 66 Light for my next bike since I like the ETA for climbing.

As for performance, our air forks keep getting better. I have a Z1 SL going on it's 3rd year now, still going strong. And with proper set up, the plushness is right there with the coil forks.

Either 66 should serve you well, just decide which features suit your needs the best...

Brian

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm about to get an SL for my ASX. As far as small bump sensitivity goes, air forks are getting better the whole time (I havent heard anyone complain about last years Fox 36 or the Pike dual air), so dont knock it till you try it. It will take longer to break in than a coil fork due to more seals. It has travel adjust (apparently much more than 150-170) and bottom out control, unlike the Light ETA. The RC2X has the 'X' and the SL has 'PAR' - an air bottom out chamber.

Also, remember that there are no aftermarket springs available for the RC2X/Light, so unless you are ~12-13 stone the spring rate will be a bit off (or a lot if you are very heavy/light).

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
Pedal everywhere? I would reccomend either the 66 Light or 66SL. Its going to depend on your frame. Although the 66's are less in A to C height this year, they are still a pretty tall fork, also cause its 170mm as well. Both the Light and SL will give you options to achieve a headtube angle that will not be completley slacked out.

66Light: ETA is a quick and easy function that is great...if you use it. I have ETA on my fork, but I just don't climb anymore. I used it a few times and it worked out fantastic! If you do climbing just to get to that sweet DH spot, a 66 Light may be your best bet. ETA is a great little function to have. It easy, effective, and WORKS!

66SL: If you don't feel like finicking with your fork on the trail, but want lightweight and stil have lots of adjustments, grab a SL. I wouldn't really reccomend changing air pressures around on the trail to accomadate climbs or crap, but you can certainly do this at home. Tone it down to 150mm or less for those trail rides, crank it back up to 170mm for those shuttle days. Best of all...its under 6lbs. You win either way.

I reccomend the 66SL. It'll be handy for almost everything you do, plus, it is under 6 lbs.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ugh i think im still leaning towards the 66sl just because its so light and the adjustability , i had eta on an older fork and i used it use it alot but when i had my breakout i didnt seem to miss it too much . I reckon the 66sl will be perfect for when i uograde to an air shock so i can set it up with 150 front and rear when want and 170 in other days .

Thanks for info

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.