Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
change is good
3,227 Posts
Rims and handlebars are the other places where I wouldn't touch carbon with a flagpole, they're simply not worth it safety wise.

Spending a fortune to save a few grams in a component that won't tolerate forces for which it wasn't designed (impacts, mainly) on a mountain bike, seems like a joke to me.

My current mountain bike is one year old. I have not fallen even once with it, however, cranks already have some impacts from hitting rocks when climbing technical sections, and from flying rocks sent by the front wheel. The frame and rims also have a few impacts from gravel and rocks thrown by the tires.

I'd be comfortable on a carbon road bike, but not on a MTB. In any case, I still think it's not worth it even on the road.

My endurance road bike cost me 1099€. The only carbon parts it has are the fork and seatpost, and it weights 8.5kg even with hydraulic disc brakes. Meanwhile, a Canyon Endurace CF SL Disc 7.0 weights 8.39kg and costs 2099€ while being similarly equipped (105 vs Rival, DT Swiss E 1850 vs Mavic Ksyriums). Almost double the price. It's just a scam.
I have dainty wrists. I’ve been using carbon bars for about 20 years with no failures. I’m a big boy and all my alloy rear 29er wheels detension after about 3 months. I’ve cracked carbon, but no catastrophic failures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have dainty wrists. I’ve been using carbon bars for about 20 years with no failures. I’m a big boy and all my alloy rear 29er wheels detension after about 3 months. I’ve cracked carbon, but no catastrophic failures.

And what did you expect? I didn't say that carbon is always going to break. Could you please re-read my post?

·
Registered
52 Posts
not may, does
So the key question is which one causes more flex, the spindle or the cranks? It seems that most brands only focus on the material of the cranks, I only see some niche high-end brands offer carbon spindles for the road bikes.

·
change is good
3,227 Posts
And what did you expect? I didn't say that carbon is always going to break. Could you please re-read my post?
I read your post correctly the first time. I never said or implied that you implied or said carbon is always going to break. Your concerns are not my concerns.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I also have the HT2 crank flexing.
How are you sure you're not confusing frame flex with crank flex?

I have m7100 cranks and can't notice any flex. The frame I can definitely see it flexing when I pedal hard though. I weigh 76kg, for reference.

To be honest, it's my first hollowtech cranks, but I also have bikes with SRAM Rival, Truvativ Stylo and Dahon cranks, and can't notice crank flex on any of them.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Carbon feels a little softer than aluminum when you bump your ankle bone into it. That's a win.
Ha, now that you mention it...

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,427 Posts
Ha, now that you mention it...

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
That's similar to one of the other fringe benefits with a carbon bike in the winter. Having a bike that is mostly made out of CF is nice when you have to grab any part of the bike for any reason, whether it's tweaking something in the forest or loading the bike. The crazy good heat-transfer of aluminum just sucks heat away so fast when you grab it and if you have reynauds, it can make a difference to not have to touch anything like that. It's expensive for this, but sometimes everything in your favor is worth it in these situations.

Reactions: WHALENARD

·
change is good
3,227 Posts
That's similar to one of the other fringe benefits with a carbon bike in the winter. Having a bike that is mostly made out of CF is nice when you have to grab any part of the bike for any reason, whether it's tweaking something in the forest or loading the bike. The crazy good heat-transfer of aluminum just sucks heat away so fast when you grab it and if you have reynauds, it can make a difference to not have to touch anything like that. It's expensive for this, but sometimes everything in your favor is worth it in these situations.
Raynauds sucks ass. I have dumped so much money into solutions with marginal benefits. Not being able to access the mountain west during the colder months really cramps my style. Or desired perceived style.

·
Registered
107 Posts
How are you sure you're not confusing frame flex with crank flex?

I have m7100 cranks and can't notice any flex. The frame I can definitely see it flexing when I pedal hard though. I weigh 76kg, for reference.

To be honest, it's my first hollowtech cranks, but I also have bikes with SRAM Rival, Truvativ Stylo and Dahon cranks, and can't notice crank flex on any of them.
Since I have a strong armored frame, once or twice, the frame does not bend because the clearance between the frame and the tire does not decrease.

·
Thicc Member
1,166 Posts
I keep analyzing cranks then sticking with XTR 9000 trail. 520 gram with ring, steel axle, bigger bb bearings, welded construction, reliable nds arm attachment, easy preload method.

Haha, I just read the thread about the crank arms falling off. Well, it's been reliable for me!

·
fraid of heights
1,868 Posts
So what I'm getting from this thread is no cranks are safe and it's just a matter of time and bad luck before one tears off... dam.

I mean I guess it makes sense to buy the eewings. Your gonna get your money out of them. Just damn.. there spency...

81 - 98 of 98 Posts