Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
If you think you can
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope that's not a stupid question. But when I had these built up, I thought I couldn't go wrong. But in a few months, I have beat the hell out of the rear rim. It has flat spotted in a few places, it's been trued several times, there are even two small cracks starting at two of the spoke eyelets! Would 729's be any stronger? The guy who built them seemed amazed that the spokes were loose after the first month. He re-tensioned them, but it just got worse. I need help!

·
If you think you can
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe. He has been doing it for a while now. I have heard great things about him. I know he locktighted everything and he even had a spoke tension gauge thing to measure the tension. I was running pretty low pressure at first, but lately have had it up around 32-35ish. Didn't think that was too low.

·
SS FR HT
575 Posts
If you like me that might be to low of pressure, im running 40-45psi and I still pinch flat, but im a bigger guy. I have cracked and bend the hell out of tons of rims. Im actualy going back to a hardtail from my FS because of how my riding has just got lazy.

·
Registered
680 Posts
tacubaya said:
I think the guy who built your wheels... well... he must be a pretty crappy wheelbuilder. Also it seems you ran your tires with low pressure (flatspot parade).
No, cause dents have nothing to do with wheel builder ability. When you aren't running beefy enough tires or to low of pressure everything goes out the window

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
themontashu said:
No, cause dents have nothing to do with wheel builder ability. When you aren't running beefy enough tires or to low of pressure everything goes out the window
When did I say that? :skep:

Low pressure = dents.
Loose spokes and problems in general with the wheels = bad wheelbuild.

·
If you think you can
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, i think there are a few specific trails that causes this the most. I stopped riding them because of this, and last time i rode there, i progressed way more than i ever had, but also took some harsh landings. It is a trail with lots of rock drops, jumps onto boulders, gap jumps ect.
Also, I'm about 185lbs, so I don't think 35psi is too little. And I don't really get pinch flats. The rim itself is flatted in a few sections. The cracks in the rim is what bother's me. And I'm running 2.5 minions DHR.
So you think just having it built up the same just by someone else may just be the fix? Is the 729 a beefier rim?

·
Registered
680 Posts
tacubaya said:
When did I say that? :skep:

Low pressure = dents.
Loose spokes and problems in general with the wheels = bad wheelbuild.
If you are hitting your rim hard enough to dent it all bets are off though. If there is enough force directly on the rim to dent it there is a very good possibility that its not going to be strait either. If the guy is hacking up 823 with cracked eyelits and mad dents that sounds more like rider error than wheel builder error

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,340 Posts

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
823's on Hadleys [150mm x 12mm ] 14 or 15 straight gauge with brass nipples!

a craft man wheel builder and a 3 spoke lace cross pattern Iv'e had wheelset like this done no issues even bent they've still run sweet and not even rubbed my rotors , a quick tweak and they're off again not flat spottted em, admittedly not running 823s but it would be my first choice Rim for DH, 721s as a lighter rim for wet days!

I can choose to run std or UST then, if you do some resarch most top guys rate this as the top Dh and toughest Dh rim anything will get beat in DH thats DH get used to it, stuff breaks its not tiddly winks!

Only 2 types of riders in DH or any MTB

Those that are down and those that are going down, how is up to you! :D

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
trailadvent said:
a craft man wheel builder and a 3 spoke lace cross pattern Iv'e had wheelset like this done no issues even bent they've still run sweet and not even rubbed my rotors , a quick tweak and they're off again not flat spottted em, admittedly not running 823s but it would be my first choice Rim for DH, 721s as a lighter rim for wet days!
Your rim being out of true does not affect the rotor.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Your rim being out of true does not affect the rotor.
geez not literally that bad, though my last race in 07 I hit a tree on a step up at 40mph bent the rotor and somehow got tot the bottom without an OTB it was a slow finish run the wheel would stop in the air :eek:

I go a spare for the next run and got a poo 8th :rolleyes:

·
..ouch
2,028 Posts
If you're that hard on wheels just pick up some cheap Outlaws and replace them once a year. I picked up a spare set for this reason and beat the living shite out of them with no maintenance.. When they do break I'll spend another $200and have a new set.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.