Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Spark 900 Premium (non-RC) came with Maxis Recon 2.4 tires. I wanted a slightly more relaxed / trail bike - but I cant shed my XC roots. So I am really digging the grip after all of these years riding small nob XC race tires. However, these heavy tires on the heavy wheels - sort of accelerate like my fat bike. Its all relative - I am a light rider who is used to 1300 gram wheels. Can anyone recommend a slightly lighter, faster rolling tire that still offers decent volume and grip (a step toward XC from the trail focused Rekons). If I go to 2.2's I think that will be too narrow and I'll lose some of the confidence this bike has over my race whippet. Also, I think I would start getting a lot of pedal strikes. BB is already low and strikes are a bit of a concern.
Just doing a little 'new bike' customizing... I think I can get the bike to be a little more perky but still offer the more casual ride of a non XC race bike. All of my 20 years of riding has been 2.0 -2.2 tires.
Tires will be mounted on new wheels that I have ordered to replace stock aluminum DT's. Will be 25mm internal NExtie rims...
Thinking maybe Rekon Race in 2.35? I have always been a Schwalbe guy - but they dont have anything in Rocket Ron's for example bigger then 2.25.
thanks !

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Problem is that tires are almost as insanely personal and debated as saddles and grips. Really comes down to lots of variables like your terrain, how you ride, your weight, your style, etc.

If you are simply looking for recommendations of something that has a SIMILAR tread pattern to the Rekon but is lighter, well that will vary as well as mfgr. weights are rarely accurate, just like their measurements.

Since this is a more trail oriented bike I would recommend staying with a 2.35 or 2.4 tire like you have but the 25mm nexties will not allow anything larger than that to spread out. With that said here is what I have found that is similar(ish)...
- Vittoria Barzo
- Vittoria Peyote
- Vittoria Mezcal (probably closest)
- WTB Riddler
- WTB Rangler
- Bontrager XR2 (i think)
- Teravail Cumberland (little more aggressive side knobs, probably closer to the Minion SS)
- Teravail Coronado (but believe only offered in 2.6)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you guys recommend a wider internal rim ? I have the option of going to 28 or 29mm internal. But thought that would be a bit oversized for this application... Where I live it is pretty calm/flowy compared to out west, etc...

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
You seem light a weight sensitive person, I wouldnt go wider on rims or tires, especially if you've been getting along just fine with 2.0 and 2.1 tires this whole time.

Id try a smaller XR2 out back and XR3 up front, and stick with the 25mm rims. 25mm is great at providing support and a good profile. You're probably used to 19mm rims, 25 will be a big upgrade.

People often recommend rekons for what you're describing. Its their inbetween tire.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Do you guys recommend a wider internal rim ? I have the option of going to 28 or 29mm internal. But thought that would be a bit oversized for this application... Where I live it is pretty calm/flowy compared to out west, etc...
Would the 28 mm wheelset be much heavier than the 25 mm wheelset? Would they be the same price? If you know you want to stay at or under about 2.4" tires, the 25 would be fine. If you think you may want to try 2.6" tires at some point, the 25 mm would work, but the 28 or 29 would be slightly nicer. It may be moot, if the bike can't take 2.6" tires anyway.

I don't think it would make a huge difference either way though. I would think that 2.4" Rekons on 25 mm rims would be exactly what you should be running, given your stated preferences.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Well for one, Rekons aren't heavy. Second, a heavy wheel set may feel less snappy but your acceleration is affected maybe 0.32% compared to a lighter set. I'd put them on your new light wheels and I bet you like it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well for one, Rekons aren't heavy. Second, a heavy wheel set may feel less snappy but your acceleration is affected maybe 0.32% compared to a lighter set. I'd put them on your new light wheels and I bet you like it.
Agree some is in my head in that I have acuity for this - very aware of the sluggish feeling. I ponder that it is odd that F1 cars with 900+ horsepower are very concerned about 3-4 extra ounces of weight. At one point the team took Lewis Hamiltons onboard water bottle away for weight savings. Yet - with the really strong among us maybe making 1/2 horsepower consistently - weight is not an issue with lap time..
I agree tho - a lot of this is the thrill of the chase - if we want to be faster - move away from the keyboard and try and consistently ride 20 hrs a week.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I'm in a similar position for a bike I'll be building.

I like this idea
Bontrager XR3 2.4 up front, XR2 2.35 out back will be a great, lightweight, fast-rolling combo with plenty of grip for trail riding.
I also like the idea of the Recon Race 2.35 out back, or a Mezcal 2.35.

You could run a 29mm front rim with a 25mm rear rim. That would also allow you to try a light 2.6 up front e.g. XR2, which would help with your low'ish BB. That would be a great tyre to try with a super fast rear tyre e.g. 2.35 XR2 or Mezcal or Recon Race.

·
Registered
14,883 Posts
I'd recommend a 29 or 30mm rim minimum. You can then run lower pressures. I'd go with a 35mm front at least and try an XR2 2.35 Team. It's higher volume and more rounded tread profile then other tires. Your bike is listed as capable of 2.6 tires. The new xR3 2.4 with the red stripe is another option. Lower smaller center knobs and deeper side knobs.

The two best XCO riders on the RC less trail version use 30mm rims.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Aggressive trail riding I prefer Maxxis DHR II 2.3 front (825g) Forekaster 2.35 rear (735g) 1,560 grams total

XC/Trail riding with emphasis on faster rolling and acceptable traction I reach for Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 front (745g) Rekon Race 2.25 rear (670g) 1,415 grams total

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
1300g for a complete set of wheels just seems insane to me, definitely not something I'd want to go bashing down a trail with. As to tyres, I'd recommend trying the Rekon Race in the rear and see if that along with the new wheels doesn't solve your sluggish feeling.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.