Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As cool as high zoot light weight parts are, I take much greater pleasure in finding those rare jewels that are fairly lightweight but don't cost an arm on a leg.

What's on your list?

Here are some of mine

-Race Face Turbine LP cranks
-Sugino Supershifter III (if you can find them)
-Vuelta small ring
-Sram 5.0 levers
-Ritchey WCS stem
-Odds and endos bolt on skewers
-Tioga Factory SL headset
-Real brake levers
-GT/Hadley rear hub (with proper grease)
-Ringle SOB front hub
-mavic x517 on closeout

·
Just passing through....
1,328 Posts
ashwinearl said:
As cool as high zoot light weight parts are, I take much greater pleasure in finding those rare jewels that are fairly lightweight but don't cost an arm on a leg.

What's on your list?

Here are some of mine

-Vuelta small ring
-Sram 5.0 levers
-Ritchey WCS stem
-Real brake levers
-Ringle SOB front hub
-mavic x517 on closeout
Some good ones here. I agree on the Tioga headset. Mine came in at 82 grams at $28 new on Ebay.

Mine:
Noleen Mega Air Fork, Right about 1400 grams for $99 (at the time). Very nice ride.

Koski Lite V-Brakes: 320 grams for $9.99 plus shipping on Ebay. Maybe a little more now.

Aireon Prolite and Team Race Saddle, $29.99 from Supergo

Pazzaz Stem, 147 grams for 120 mm, $16 at JensonUSA

·
Registered
23,745 Posts
nice, sharp 5mm drill bit. About $3, weight saving potential......unlimited....... :)

No seriously, Eggbeater pedals, great invention, cheap, lightweight pedalling for the masses.....

Short cables - amazing to see how many riders still have huge great loops of cable sprouting from the front of their bikes....

·
ballbuster
12,709 Posts
I'll add a few...

ashwinearl said:

What's on your list?

Here are some of mine

-Vuelta small ring
-Sram 5.0 levers
-Ritchey WCS stem
-Real brake levers
-Ringle SOB front hub
-mavic x517 on closeout
Performace Lunar Lite Tubes, saves 30-80 grams per wheel for $6 each on sale
3M strapping tape, about $3 and replaces a bunch of rim strips, saves 20-30 grams per wheel.
alu bolts. I did a bunch of the less vital stuff of my bike for around $30.
Magura Clara hydro brakes. I got a good rear and busted lever front at a swap meet for $25, and got a complete front for $54. Saved over 2/3 pound over my Avids with SD7 levers. Power is the same, way better modulation, I have never overheated them (unlike my Avids) but they sometimes drag a bit.
alu spoke nipples, usually a $10 upgrade, saves about 20 grams on a wheel
Performance Ti skewers... $10 on sale, saved 30 grams over my XTs. I know, Ti skewers and disc brakes. No problems yet, no evidence of slippage. I put the XTs back on anyway, cause I'm a big fat wuss and bought into the CYA statements of the bike part makers. I'm probably gonna try to score some bolt-ons and shave even more.

·
robust, yet smooth
473 Posts
hutchison python air lites

... fast and lite and cheep

-capt p

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Manitou Skareb Elite- 1420 grams and $219 on sale at Jenson. Much better than my old Sid XC.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Gonna Debate some of the items and add others

First want to disagree with the Ritchey WCS. Purchased one. Newest style too. 1 1/8 X 130mm = 160g. Ritchey didn't respond to emails and local shop doesn't want to eat it either. The Ritchey Pro is 5g lighter at the same length and for $35. The Syntace from DirtBoy was 40g lighter and $40 cheaper.

My list.
Regular Tubes at 1-1.25. $2-$4 and $120g.
Cane Creek Brake Levers. Not ultralight, but ligher than most at 170-174g and the last two sets were under $20 each.
Truvative Stylo Teams - 612g and $80.
Agree with Bolt on Skewers.
Road tape for grips. $5 and 25g
Ringle SOB front hub. Those build up nice, and got mine for $25 and $40. Wheels are already sold unfortunatley.
Scott ATLF-2 Handlebars. 185-190 for bar and ends. And AL so I don't worry as much. (200 pounder. :)
Paul's Thumbies - $90 complete but 130g.
Agree with the 3M strapping tape.
Agree with Eggies
Bonti Mustang and Valiant Rims - Sometimes. If you can weigh em first or trust the seller.
Sun Sub IV's. Got two for $40. Both were close to the 390 claimed.

I know I'm fogetting others, but that's the bulk of 'em.

JmZ

ashwinearl said:

What's on your list?

Here are some of mine

-Vuelta small ring
-Sram 5.0 levers
-Ritchey WCS stem
-Real brake levers
-Ringle SOB front hub
-mavic x517 on closeout

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
The 5.0 shifters ain't bad either.

I weighed them (with cables) in the 9 speed model at 160 grams for the pair - and you can get them from Icycles for $16 or something.

But I digress. What about the opposite question - what's the stupidest, most expensive way to save weight? I have a few contenders:
-Cranks in general. A super trick crankset costs a lot (~$300+) but only saves 100g or less over cheap options like LX or Deore.
-Kooka brake levers. Light, but you'd better not crash...
-Easton Monkeylite "SL" - wow, they made it lighter by making it... narrower? And it costs more to boot. Fantastic!
-Aluminum granny gears. If you use your granny with any regularity, you'll pulverize it in less than a season. If not, why do you have a granny gear at all?
-Low spoke count wheels. Crossmaxs aren't lighter OR stronger than a good conventional wheel - but they're more expensive! And if you break a spoke, you get to order a new one and wait a few weeks to go riding again!
-Aluminum frames. How many old aluminum bikes do you see still cruising around? How about steel and ti ones? Yeah, thought so. But hey, if you want to pretend you're a factory racer who gets a new bike every year, that's your business.

Let the flames fly...

-Walt

·
Just passing through....
1,328 Posts
Walt said:
-Cranks in general. A super trick crankset costs a lot (~$300+) but only saves 100g or less over cheap options like LX or Deore.

-Kooka brake levers. Light, but you'd better not crash...

-Walt
RF Turbines can be had for $100 new for the arms. Just another "cheap" option, especially if you're looking for a 5 bolt compact

When I was using the Kooka levers, I crashed numerous times (no, not BECAUSE of the Kookas.. :D ) and they held up great. They're a lot stronger than they look,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.