Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is that black hockey tape, an old tube, or what? Just curious. I like the way it looks better than the Lizard Skins chainstay protection!

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Can't remember exactly, but here goes...

I can't remember what his bike specifically looks like, but I've seen some guys run what looks like a tube of heat-shrink with it cut on one side so you can get it over the chainstay, and then wire-tied to the chainstay.

Hope this helps some!

·
Large wheels & one gear
720 Posts
On my bike.... the chainstay is large and a standard lizard skin is to small and a jumbo skin is to big. My solution.....A standard lizard skin over an old tube zip tied. The lizard skin is on the bottom side, revealing the tube on top of the stay. If any of that makes sense? Anyway, thats what i run. It works!

·
Large wheels & one gear
720 Posts
Day42, not meaning to go offtopic here but, what type of riding do you use your Surly Instigator for? I have been thinking of building one up and a SS aggressive/trailriding bike. It looks like it is more designed for Urban/jumping type of riding?

·
Registered
574 Posts
It's not hockey tape you're seeing, it's more of a cloth material. My mechanic put some on my bike when I had him rebuild it about 4 years ago (he was notorious for hooking junior racers up with little extras). I have no idea what it is but would love to find out as I have a new bike on the way and I love the look of it.

·
Blanco
1,332 Posts
I've used black gaffer tape. It works well, but like hockey tape or any adhesive tape, you have to replace it every year or two, or the adhesive bakes onto the paint and is really hard to get off.

I recommend small zip-ties and either an inner tube (cheap) or non-adhesive handlebar tape (nice).

·
Weird huh?
2,283 Posts
I have an old road tube that torqued me off. Sliced it lengthwise, and tensioned it all around and around and around. Couple 3 skinny plastic flexicuffs and it's been there for 3 months.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
i got some of the clear plastic "tape" that you put on your headlights (3M makes it...)

super resistant, and always transparent so it looks better than black IMHO. it fits into really tight spaces, also no zip ties required, i have it on my DH bike for 2 years without needing replacement.

·
Respect Your Trails
329 Posts
Currently using Lizard Skins (sorry) on the majority of the stay, but using part of an old grip, cut about 1.5" wide and zip tied on where the rear deraileur hits the stay. On another bike, just using sliced tubing and wrapping the stay, securing with zips ties. Damn zip ties are right up there with duct tape under best inventions ever.....all under the bike of course.

day42 said:
Is that black hockey tape, an old tube, or what? Just curious. I like the way it looks better than the Lizard Skins chainstay protection!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well I started off using a Lizard Skin but the chainstay on the Trance is hydro-formed and it just didn't quite fit right. So now I've got 1/2 of an old tube rapped around and fixed with 4 black cable ties (althought the bar tape also sounds like a good and even beter idea for reducxing noise - some good old cork stuff). I cut the Lizard Skin up to get the material to make a protector to go around the top of the fork crown and keep crap from getting into the headset.

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
a tube, lizards skin protector and some electrical tape

day42 said:
Works good..cant hear a thing..

·
Vigilante Trail Groomer
155 Posts
Tire tube and three zip ties. No problems after a dozen rides. Some bikes don't have enough clearance to use a Lzard skin the entire legnth of the chainstay, so the rubber tube works great. I used the legnth i wanted and split the tube but I think I'll redo it by wrapping the chainstay with a longer piece of tube for more thourough coverage. But no problems yet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Konapdlr...about the Surly

Thanks guys. Hey Konapdlr, I use my Surly for everything pretty much. I initially had it set up for single-speed thrash duty, but didn't like the singleator. So I set it up with pretty strong parts, and use it for street, jumping anything/everything, and trail duty, as well!!! It's an awesome bike, and everything went together great. The only Shimano parts I have on it are the XT hubs! Awesome!

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,157 Posts
Used old inner tube for a while. Now a Dirt Rag lizard skin for about a year. Been working fine.

Most of the time there's dirt caked on as an extra layer over the chainstay protector.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts