Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in a Mojo, but do not want something that has a rear end with flex in it. The HD is stiff, but the SL has more flex than I would like.

So I am wondering what Ibis will do for the SL, will they stiffen the back end? My other hope is that they will make a tapered head tube SL.

Anybody built up an HD 140 for the lighter side? I would like to know what the weight for a Large 140 with a trail oriented build could be.

Has anybody heard what Ibis' plans are for the SL? It seems they should put some of the HD into it, keeping it a trail bike.

·
Sponge Brain
134 Posts
I would bet we don't see a Mojo SL revision for another 1-3 years because of new bikes in the works as well as it not being cost effective yet to change the molds for the SL. Though if the HD140 steals enough of the SLs market share it may come quicker...

...Lopes Link, through axle rear wheel, stiffer wheels may be enough to stiffen up the SL depending on your weight. I don't notice much flex on my large and I float between 175-200lbs depending on gear and time of year (XT build w/ Havocs).

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
twelve34 said:
I am interested in a Mojo, but do not want something that has a rear end with flex in it...
There is now one frame that I'm aware of with the same travel and weight but less flex than the Mojo SL. It's the Santa Cruz Blur LT Carbon. There may be other stiffer carbon fiber monopivots with as much travel and as light weight. The GT Force Carbon is almost as light and is very stiff, and pedals smoother than VPP, almost as good as DWL.

But the DW-Link is better, unless noticeable kickback or slower climbing and flipping a platform shock on and off is preferred.

The Pivot Mack 5.7 DWL only about 1 pound heavier, and rides with about the same handling geometry and plushness as the Mojo SL. The Pivot's extraordinary lateral swingarm stiffness is noticeable when chattering through rocks. But the front end of my Mojo with 160mm fork is stiffer and more precise cornering and handling anything than the flexy 140 or 150/32mm forks the 5.7 is limited to.

The Turner 5 Spot DWL has the same travel but isn't really stiffer than the Mojo rear end although the springier flexing aluminum and sticky suspension gives it the illusion that it is much stiffer. It is covered by warranty with a 160mm fork like the Mojo. But it's almost 2 pounds heavier than the SL frame and shock with the same travel.

Someone posted a 2007 Mojo (before the lighter SL was available) built under 20 lbs, 19.75 lbs. The HD 160 is 1/2 pound heavier, so it could be built under 20 lbs.... but why waste light and flexy parts on such a stout frame??

It should be easy to build a pretty solid 24 to 25 lb HD 140 trail bike with enough money.

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
913 Posts
I'm curious, how one determines the rear end is flexing?? while riding of course..

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
bike won't track as well, and when landing drops or cornering hard it becomes unpredictable.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have a mojo HD med in size built at 28 pounds even. It's not all light weight. I think you could build a trail HD around 26 if need be. I can give you my parts list if you want to see what a 28 pound 140 looks like?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mazspeed

I would like to see the parts list on your medium, that would be great.

I will be getting a large, but it would be a great reference.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Ok, parts list is as follows.

Mojo HD frame in Med rp23
fox 150 talas fork
Industry nine all mountain wheels
Thompson stem med rise
Carbon bar
2011 XTR cranks, all drivetrain, 30 speed, chris king BB
Twenty 6 pedals
hope mono 6ti front brakes 203 disk
hope mono 4 rear 203 disk
cane creek telescope seat post
WTB rocket seat
wtb 2.4 tires front and rear with tubes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
SL is here for awhile as is

Mtnzj is correct. A few months ago I emailed Scott and his email advised that due to the big $'s involved in a new rear end maxle set-up or such, new molds for the SL are not in the works. He advised moving up to a light build up of the HD.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Relayden said:
I'm curious, how one determines the rear end is flexing?? while riding of course..
Before the Lopes Link was available, my Mojo used to sway out of line, like having a low rear tire, when carving through a fast corner in one particular high speed smooth g-out I ride often. The Lopes link cured that and it rails corners better than any prior bike I've owned.

Although I have always wanted a stiffer Mojo, I honestly didn't notice any handling problems besides that familiar high speed heavily loaded turn. As owners know, the Mojo is very well balanced in handling, even though not as stiff as some heavier bikes with similar travel.

The Mojo SL is at least as stiff if not stiffer in rear end flex than the aluminum Santa Cruz Nomad. And most riders consider the Nomad very stiff. The Intense Tracer VP is even flexier than the Nomad.

Going to a 20mm axle fork made a big difference in the Mojo's steering precision every where... slow speed or fast, rocks or smooth. The stiffer rear with the Lopes link made a difference in feel, but minimal if any perceptible handling improvement difference except high speed smooth corners, as I described.

Demoing the HD, Pivot Mach 5 and 5.7 and Firebird, the early Trek Remedy, early Rocky Mountain Slayer, Felt Compulsion, Knolly Endorphin, Cove G-Spot and other heavier stiffer trail bikes with similar travel, the feel of rocks, and gravel is more pronounced. There's more sense of the threshold limit of traction. Rear end stiffness brings more sense of the traction limit when climbing very rocky and loose conditions. Downhill, rear end stiffness makes a difference in maintaining direction at high speed, whether it's rocky or smooth, and landing jumps feels more solid.

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
913 Posts
Derby / Yody, thanks for the info.

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Get the latest links + add beefy axle

I've said this a few times and will continue! Get the very latest lower link. :thumbsup:
It is significantly stiffer laterally and torsionally.

Like going from Original Links to Lopes? Maybe not THAT big a jump, but big.

On top of that, get a rear hub set up with one of the 10m axle options (fun bolts or the big DT QR).

I have to agree with Derby on the Nomad comparison. The AL Nomad was my last primary ride before going to Mojo SL. I don't miss stiffness on the SL, but I did upgrade my lower link, largely out of curiosity and the fact that I had some bike money to spend.

My feeling is that between weird tire and rim combos that are becoming popular (big rubber on narrower rims) and poor tire pressure choice, knowing whether you're feeling frame or wheel related flex can be damn tricky.

·
Clyde
264 Posts
benja55 said:
I've said this a few times and will continue! Get the very latest lower link. :thumbsup:
It is significantly stiffer laterally and torsionally.

Like going from Original Links to Lopes? Maybe not THAT big a jump, but big.

On top of that, get a rear hub set up with one of the 10m axle options (fun bolts or the big DT QR).

I have to agree with Derby on the Nomad comparison. The AL Nomad was my last primary ride before going to Mojo SL. I don't miss stiffness on the SL, but I did upgrade my lower link, largely out of curiosity and the fact that I had some bike money to spend.

My feeling is that between weird tire and rim combos that are becoming popular (big rubber on narrower rims) and poor tire pressure choice, knowing whether you're feeling frame or wheel related flex can be damn tricky.
+1

I have managed Flex or Bike English on my 2007 mojo by going from a narrow rim to a Stan's Flow, moving to a tire with a little more side wall (2.3 / 2.4), lope-link and a rear bolt axle. I weigh 250 with my gear and don't have the best technic and I have no concerns about the bike being loose or sloppy. My Mojo is very predictable and controlled. Not DH controlled and predictable but good for Trail, All Mountain and light FR. What little flex may still be in the bike is part of the suspension system from my standpoint. I have been riding hard in northern and southern Utah for 3 years on my Mojo. Crash it a dozen times. Taken some pretty good rock hits. The only frame patch work I have done was a little epoxy where I etched a shallow groove along the chain stay on a rock. I got a good one. The mojo is a great bike IMO. Might be a better bike out there but I can't imagine and if there is it is only by a small margin. (Loving the 2010 upgrades I did. A 2011 Fox 36 / 160 RLC and a 2010 Fox DHX RC4 Coil.) Replacing the stock RP23 was a good move for me the mid stroke wallow for heavier riders gave me a less controled rear travel. The coil recovers so much better than the Air as well. The bike is built perfect for me, where I ride and how I ride. The bike is still under 30 lbs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A couple of points...

First: LuckySomer, wouldn't an HD definitely be better for given your build? If you want a 160 mm front fork and you want more travel in your rear shock I would think the obvious solution would be to get an HD. Also, with your weight (which is not too too far off from mine) the HD would be better as well.

And in response to the original post. I'm actually picking up my brand spanking new HD 140 today. Its a large and I've requested a very trail oriented build. This includes:

XT kit
140 mm rear shock
140 mm fox float
Cobalt Wheels
Haven Handlebars
Thompson Stem
Stock seatpost
cane creek upgrade headset.
tubeless tires (don't know the make of the tires yet)

I'm expecting it to come in at just about 26 lbs even but I will update the thread once I have an exact weight. Hopefully its not too much more than that.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Agreed, I've said this quite a few times now but I demo'd an 09 Mojo with the QR and the difference between it and the one I bought with the 10mm and the new link is night and day.

·
Is that Bill rated?
440 Posts
mazspeed said:
Ok, parts list is as follows.

Mojo HD frame in Med rp23
fox 150 talas fork
Industry nine all mountain wheels
Thompson stem med rise
Carbon bar
2011 XTR cranks, all drivetrain, 30 speed, chris king BB
Twenty 6 pedals
hope mono 6ti front brakes 203 disk
hope mono 4 rear 203 disk
cane creek telescope seat post
WTB rocket seat
wtb 2.4 tires front and rear with tubes.
I have to cry b.s. on this. My SL with I9 XC, Float140, XTR with single ring (no front der, guide, or shifter) 2.4 Conti MKs with tubes, Eggbeater SLs, and Formula R1 brakes weighs 26lbs. I don't see how you can add a shifter, derailleur, heavier wheels, heavier frame, heavier seatpost, heavier brakes, etc and still come in at the same weight.

·
Clyde
264 Posts
RikGlover said:
A couple of points...

First: LuckySomer, wouldn't an HD definitely be better for given your build? If you want a 160 mm front fork and you want more travel in your rear shock I would think the obvious solution would be to get an HD. Also, with your weight (which is not too too far off from mine) the HD would be better as well.

And in response to the original post. I'm actually picking up my brand spanking new HD 140 today. Its a large and I've requested a very trail oriented build. This includes:

XT kit
140 mm rear shock
140 mm fox float
Cobalt Wheels
Haven Handlebars
Thompson Stem
Stock seatpost
cane creek upgrade headset.
tubeless tires (don't know the make of the tires yet)

I'm expecting it to come in at just about 26 lbs even but I will update the thread once I have an exact weight. Hopefully its not too much more than that.
If an HD was an option in Late 07 i might have picked it up over the standard mojo knowing what I do now. I stretched my budget then to come up with the $3300 out the door that fall day. Since then it has been swaps and bargin purchases to get it where it is today big ass grins allong the way.

Sounds like a sweet HD you are lining up enjoy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts