Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SS FR HT
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay so my parents just killed my summer with a move from washington to wisconsin. :madman: So now northstar and whistler are out of the question. Are there any big parks that are worth spending 4-5 days at with in a one-two day drive of oshkosh wisconsin?? I cant find anywhere. I want long flowy DH. Any options. The closest park I know of is nordic mountain and it only has slowe rocky runs that are really not the DH im looking for.

·
SS FR HT
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a lot of factors, cost of living is like nothing here, my dad job at boeing; he had toget up at 3 in the morning and he would get home at 9 just because of the drive. we have family here and.......yeah.....anyway it sucks. But the bright side is my parents bought land that is on a hill and is 5.5 acres of woods. is there any place to go or am i screwed....

·
SS FR HT
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i cant do downhill on a 5.5 acre patch. before in washington i had 1400 acres about 100 yards away from my house we had 5-10 mintue long DH trails. The hill is only like 5-8% grade.

·
Professional Troll
2,777 Posts
Marquette is supposedley okay. You can always go to diablo and snowshoe. Most east coast stuff is within a long days drive. But ya ^^^ he's basically right, midwest sucks for DH.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The only thing Wisconsin has in common with Washington is they both start with a W.
Not to get you too depressed but Wisconsin isn't good for gravity riding. You won't find much in the Frying pan on the US. Maybe you can become a roadie? Or at least move out when you turn 18.

·
Professional Troll
2,777 Posts
wait werent u saying in another thread how you dont like rocks. Yet you want DH trails that are flowy, but not Freeridey? That doesn't make much sense.....Just build some jumps and such on the 5.5 acres, its plenty of land for stuff like that. a 5% grade is plenty for FR features

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am so sick of everyone complaining about dh/freeride in wisconsin and the midwest. i know we do not have the vertical we would all love to have but people should try to embrace what we do have or we will never get anything better. i especially hate it when people complain and haven't even explored all of their options.

but for all you haters who would rather complain about how things suck than get out and ride, here are your options in the vertically challenged dh bike hating midwest. in order by estimated distance from oshkosh and within a days drive.

Nordic Mtn (yes we built the trails there and everyone who raced it seemed to have a great time) is the closest. (45min.)
Marquette Mtn is next in marquette mi. (4 hrs)
boyne mtn in boyne mi (8hrs?)
windrock in tennessee (12 hrs)
snowshoe in west virginia (14hrs)
diablo in new jersy (16hrs)
and just for kicks i checked northstar (30 Hrs) easily a 2 day drive

·
SS FR HT
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ufisher said:
I am so sick of everyone complaining about dh/freeride in wisconsin and the midwest. i know we do not have the vertical we would all love to have but people should try to embrace what we do have or we will never get anything better. i especially hate it when people complain and haven't even explored all of their options.

but for all you haters who would rather complain about how things suck than get out and ride, here are your options in the vertically challenged dh bike hating midwest. in order by estimated distance from oshkosh and within a days drive.

Nordic Mtn (yes we built the trails there and everyone who raced it seemed to have a great time) is the closest. (45min.)
Marquette Mtn is next in marquette mi. (4 hrs)
boyne mtn in boyne mi (8hrs?)
windrock in tennessee (12 hrs)
snowshoe in west virginia (14hrs)
diablo in new jersy (16hrs)
and just for kicks i checked northstar (30 Hrs) easily a 2 day drive
You forgot Vertical illusions(1.25 hrs)

Hey, Hey, im not saying i dont ride in wisconsin, all i want is a place that is worth getting off of work for 8-9 days and staying 5 days. I have road every trail at nordic even the cross country trails. My friends all love nordic but its not what im looking for im looking for a fast long desents smooth drops big berms and gaps. I dont like rock gardens a lot because I just never too interest in them. I have put a lot of hours in building at vertical illusions. I ride every chance i get trust me i have looked.......

·
Registered
708 Posts
i believe that anything over 6 hours drive away is SOOOOOOOOOO far away! maybe I'm just not used to living in the states, though I'm moving to Colorado in a few weeks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
kitsa

you should check out marquette mtn. they are really putting in some good stuff on the hill. it would also be worth it for you to hook up with some locals and go across the street to ride benson, they are putting in some pretty good gaps and stuff there also.

the best part is you can do it in a weekend and not brteak the bank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.